Raptor's Craft Download Catalog - Tested & Proven

Raptor9

1 hour ago, EVA_Reentry/Strangelove II said:

Also, could you upload some of the graphics showing what goes where on the stations?

Already posted, on the first page OP (VAB>Space Stations expandable section).  Really, you can build a station however you want.  The station graphics are only there as examples if you wanted to build a KSP version of a real-life-inspired station.

3 minutes ago, EVA_Reentry/Strangelove II said:

Oh, I know. But there was one with an orthographic view of the Pioneer Station that I can't find. 

Not sure I know what you're referring too.  The graphic of "Pioneer Station" has all the modules listed to assemble it as such.

1 minute ago, EVA_Reentry/Strangelove II said:

Hang on
-snip-
That. I can't find it in high-res.

Oh I see, I actually deleted that image from my photobucket (and after a search, my actual computer as well) when I made the new one.  I wanted to make a fresh one after I made some updates to the Station Module series.  Didn't realize anybody actually wanted to use it as an assembly roadmap. Even so, the one that exists now provides the same information at pretty much the same orientation...just without gaps between the modules. :P

2 minutes ago, EVA_Reentry/Strangelove II said:

But anyways, I made the Pioneer Station

Nice. :) I'm building mine in my Career save now.  It's not following the order the ISS was assembled because I'm letting contract requirements dictate what I send up next (the "Expand Station" contract type).  I only have the inner truss segments at the moment, the ones with the large radiators.  But it'll get there eventually.  I'm also learning I need to change some of the modules' external attachment points to allow better assembly with the EMU's.

Just so no one thinks I've stopped concept development...I've been alternating between development/testing and my career save.  In my career save, I have four major mission programs ongoing: 1) constructing 'Pioneer Station' (ISS-alike in LKO); 2) Serial Minmus landings for contract and scientific objectives using my LV-2A reusable lander to/from 'Wernher Station' in Minmus orbit; 3) Establishing 'Frontier Outpost', my first Munar surface base; 4) Building an EV-3 'Clipper' in LKO for my first Duna expedition.  I know most of you don't care about my career save, but undertaking these large-scale operations is revealing some previous unknown deficiencies in some of my craft that I will fix in the near future and republish to KerbalX.

On the actual development side of my house, my major project is bringing my HLV-6 'Warthog' Duna landers to publish-ready status. Early prototypes of these Constellation-inspired landers were first seen in my Red Planet Rivals video, but weren't very practical at the time due to high part counts and poor building techniques on my part. If you've been frequenting the Constellation Mission Packs Discussion thread of late, you may have seen the following preview images, but the craft themselves are already slightly different in appearance after refinements I've made.

HLV-6A%20Preview%20with%20Text_zps2ngqxc HLV-6B%20Preview%20with%20Text_zpsxht882

The first image is the HLV-6A cargo lander, which includes the Duna Ascent Vehicle and an assortment of rovers. The current version I'm testing contains an SRTG (Surface RTG) RTG-powered rover, MPC (Mobile Power Cart) solar-powered rover, ER-2 'Ferret' rover, and an ER-3 'Mongoose' rover.  The embedded ISRU equipment generates propellant for the DAV, which will transport the three-Kerbal surface expedition crew back to the waiting EV-4 'Longship' transfer vehicle.

The second image is the HLV-6B habitation lander, which will be what the crew rides down to the Duna surface, and live and work during their stay.  It includes an airlock, research lab, and several upper deck dining areas/hangout cabins with a balcony type common area for downtime.  Both landers have space for KIS containers if a player chooses to utilize that mod for bring additional equipment.

EDIT: I should note that I'm concurrently looking at ways to tweak/improve my EV-4 line of craft files to ensure those are also brought up to currency.  As I conduct a Constellation-style test mission using these landers, this will be an additional point of refinement I'll be looking into to ensure the EV-4 'Longship' is brought up-to-date with the rest of the interplanetary architectures.

Edited by Raptor9

Okay, this one has been a long-time coming.  After several iterations (early versions can be seen in Red Planet Rivals video) and many redesigns, I've finally published my HLV-6A and HLV-6B Duna landers, inspired by NASA's cancelled Mars Design Reference Architecture 5.0 which can be seen here in a concept video.  Another set of complex craft designs, these landers are tested per my usual processes, but please let me know if any issues are encountered; namely bugs relating to the wheels on the rovers or such.  The post above has more details regarding the 'Warthog' horizontal landers.

Along with these Constellation-inspired landers, my EV-4 'Longship' series of NTR-powered interplanetary ships were overdue for an update/refinement.  Also inspired by Mars DRA 5.0, these series of ships will need updates in stages.  So far, brand new KerbalX uploads of the Block 1 and Block 2 EV-4 are complete, and all supporting modules for these configurations are updated as well.  A complete list of updates supporting this effort can be found at the bottom of the first page OP.  Hope you all have fun with these.  PS: just to clarify the difference between these two; the Block 1 is expendable when used as a Duna transfer vehicle since it doesn't have enough propellant left to slow down into Kerbin orbit.  The Block 2 however does have enough with the additional propellant, so the Block 2 can be reused if you so desire.  Each EV-4 Block configuration will have a list of mission applications at the bottom left of the print.

Edited by Raptor9

So now that I have two operational Duna mission architectures finished (#1 EV-4 spacecraft, HLV-6A/B landers & #2 EV-5 spacecraft, LV-3D/E landers), I plan to return to a few areas that have been left unfinished IMO; namely closing some of the capability gaps that exist in Kerbin's SOI:

1) Stop procrastinating and finish testing the darned LV-2C Minmus habitation lander to support a greater surface stay mission beyond just a simple landing site. EDIT: CHECK! Finished and published on KerbalX; link in the OP in the VAB>Lander Vehicle section)
2) Finish the HLV-5 horizontal Mun lander and ISRU family of rovers.  This will hopefully tighten the resource gap for generating propellant for the LITE upper stages. (inspired by ULA's CisLunar 1000)
3a) Expand the EV-2C spacecraft line to include more launchers and support modules.  This will enable the following two additional mission architectures to be developed.
3b) Near-Kerbin Asteroid missions
3c) A reusable (or at least partially-reusable) Mun landing program utilizing either modified LV-2 'Grasshopper' landers or a new lander altogether.

I'm not finished with Duna, however.  I'm just taking a break from it for a bit to clean up and finish existing projects that have been gathering dust.  I'm planning to release an update to the LV-3A/B/C Mun landers to allow them to be properly mated to an EV-4 NTR propulsion stage.  This will allow them to be transported to the Duna SOI for missions to Ike.

Additionally, I'm also working on Stage 2 of my EV-4 update so the Block 3 (seen below in an orbital assembly test this weekend) and Block 4 configurations and supporting modules are brought up to currency.  The current version of the EV-4 'Star' truss is garbage. :P But since these configurations are planned for Dres and Eve respectfully, I'm not in a hurry to get them republished.

EV-4%20Block%203%20Test_zpsxcymzzz2.png

Edited by Raptor9

I like your stuff a lot man. After my mind boggling Constellation builds I am going to make some modular long range mission craft. Built in orbit, interchangeable and versions for each main KSP planet. I am really looking forward to it as I need some nice craft to finally perform proper return missions from the harder to reach places. Based in part on proposed NASA missions too with ISRU and modular surface bases for some missions.

Edited by Majorjim

14 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

I like you stuff a lot man. After my mind boggling Constellation builds I am going to make some modular long range mission craft. Built in orbit, interchangeable and versions for each main KSP planet. I am really looking forward to it as I need some nice craft to finally perform proper return missions from the harder to reach places. Based in part on proposed NASA missions too with ISRU and modular surface bases for some missions.

Not sure if you've seen this particular document, but it served as my road-map to making my EV-4 'Longship' a modular design for multiple missions beyond just imitating the Constellation 'Copernicus' MTV design.  Had a lot of interesting variations and applications that NASA looked at for an NTR-powered transportation system.  Heck, my EV-4 Block 1, 2 and 3 configurations are pretty much carbon copies of the image below.

nucleartherm3.png

Page 2 of that document even references the Boeing Integrated Manned Interplanetary Spacecraft study of 1968 that my EV-3 'Clipper' was based on.

Edited by Raptor9

5 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

Not sure if you've seen this particular document,

I have thanks man, I have done a lot of reading on the design reference architecture for my CxP pack and as general interest. You have done such a good job I will have to think how not to make it look the same as yours.. I am still thinking about exactly what to make.

Edited by Majorjim

Featuring an expanded EV-2C 'Runabout' spacecraft line-up as well as the beginning of a near-Kerbin asteroid mission architecture.  First off, the EV-2C mounted on top of the 'Titan 1P launcher, with a 'Thunder P' payload stage to propel it on a direct-Munar fly-by trajectory.  The real-world analogue would be the Orion MPCV mounted on the SLS Block 1 with the Interim Cryogenic Propulsion Stage; the configuration for Exploration Mission-1 (EM-1).  The second configuration has the 'Thunder P' replaced by the 'Titan P'.  The real-world analogue to the second configuration would be the SLS Block 1B with the Exploration Upper Stage for Exploration Mission-2 (EM-2).  This is also the configuration for supporting initial near-Kerbin asteroid rendezvous's.

The third craft file is a robotic asteroid capture spacecraft powered by SEP ion engines.  For the real-world inspiration, see the video here for the Asteroid Redirect Mission.  The main difference is of course the KSP asteroids don't have separate boulders to pluck from the asteroids.  Another video that might be more similar to a KSP ARM mission can be viewed here.

SEP-AC%20Mk1-Titan%203P%20Small_zpserkxs

All three new craft files are uploaded to KerbalX.  As usual, direct links to the KerbalX downloads are available in the first page OP.  The first two are located in the VAB>Exploration Vehicles (EV) sub-section.  The SEP-AC is located in a new section: VAB>Robotics.

Edited by Raptor9

9 hours ago, Whovian41110 said:

Is it possible to get older versions of these ships that are compatible with 1.0.5?

If you're referring to the craft files above, they didn't exist in my 1.0.5.  However, in theory you should be able to edit the second line of text in the craft file to version 1.0.5 for it to work.  I've never tried it, but I would think that you could do this with any craft file that has the same parts as 1.0.5.  For example, all the parts in the EV-2C-Titan 1P existed in their current form in 1.0.5, but since the inflatable heatshield didn't come out until 1.1, you won't be able to pull off the same trick with the LV-3D or LV-3E landers.  You may have to reassign some action groups or tweakable values however.

Again, I'm not sure if any of this would work without any bugs, but if it does you should be able to pull it off with most of my craft files on KerbalX.  I don't have KSP 1.0.5 installed on my computer any more, so this is probably your only course of action if your looking for any of the other craft files for 1.0.5.

Edited by Raptor9

14 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

If you're referring to the craft files above, they didn't exist in my 1.0.5.  However, in theory you should be able to edit the second line of text in the craft file to version 1.0.5 for it to work.  I've never tried it, but I would think that you could do this with any craft file that has the same parts as 1.0.5.  For example, all the parts in the EV-2C-Titan 1P existed in their current form in 1.0.5, but since the inflatable heatshield didn't come out until 1.1, you won't be able to pull off the same trick with the LV-3D or LV-3E landers.  You may have to reassign some action groups or tweakable values however.

Again, I'm not sure if any of this would work without any bugs, but if it does you should be able to pull it off with most of my craft files on KerbalX.  I don't have KSP 1.0.5 installed on my computer any more, so this is probably your only course of action if your looking for any of the other craft files for 1.0.5.

Thanks my computer just won't load any 1.1.2 or 1.1.3 instance 

Those are just really big craft files.  In the SPH for example, I saved all those planes as subassemblies, then attached each of them to a large network of girder pieces.  Then I lowered the whole network of connected planes so the girders themselves were below the hanger floor and the landing gear of all the planes appeared to be what they were all independently resting on.  It was just for publicity I guess you could say. :)  It's by no means a functional thing.

On 7/16/2016 at 1:51 PM, freakneek said:

love your work! thanks for sharing your designs!

Thanks.  Glad you like them. :)

In other news, a small update for my LV-3A, LV-3B and LV-3C landers.  As I may have hinted at last week, I was looking at what what existing designs could be utilized in other locations; specifically, Ike.  The main metric I was using to see if Munar mission architectures could be adapted to Ike was the surface gravity comparisons.  Ike's surface gravity according to KSP Wiki is 1.10m/s2 (0.112g), which is 67% of the Mun's 1.63m/s2 (0.166g).  Therefore, I made a small addition to my LV-3 family of Mun landers as depicted below.

LV-3%20Update_zpsfxazk3ja.png

Minimal impact on the existing craft files, and it allows them to be flexible for Mun or Ike missions straight out of the box (or in this case, out of the fairing :P)  An EV-4 NTR Assembly Mk1 should have way more than enough delta-V to transport the A, B, or C-model landers to Ike orbit, but I haven't tested this yet.

EDIT: Apparently, proofreading continues to be an amateur skill for me, as I failed to type "to" in the first caption text.  Should read "...transport this lander to Ike." (Sigh) :blush:

Edited by Raptor9

22 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

Thanks.  Glad you like them. :)

In other news, a small update for my LV-3A, LV-3B and LV-3C landers.  As I may have hinted at last week, I was looking at what what existing designs could be utilized in other locations; specifically, Ike.  The main metric I was using to see if Munar mission architectures could be adapted to Ike was the surface gravity comparisons.  Ike's surface gravity according to KSP Wiki is 1.10m/s2 (0.112g), which is 67% of the Mun's 1.63m/s2 (0.166g).  Therefore, I made a small addition to my LV-3 family of Mun landers as depicted below.

LV-3%20Update_zpsfxazk3ja.png

Minimal impact on the existing craft files, and it allows them to be flexible for Mun or Ike missions straight out of the box (or in this case, out of the fairing :P)  An EV-4 NTR Assembly Mk1 should have way more than enough delta-V to transport the A, B, or C-model landers to Ike orbit, but I haven't tested this yet.

EDIT: Apparently, proofreading continues to be an amateur skill for me, as I failed to type "to" in the first caption text.  Should read "...transport this lander to Ike." (Sigh) :blush:

FINALLY

Dude, I just re-read your OP, and it's so beautiful I want to cry (also, I didn't have it liked, which is a crime). And mine is so hopelessly outdated! ;.; Rest assured, I will take yours as a template when I rewrite it.

Rune. Sans the amazing photoshop art, which I can't imagine where you get the time for.