Raptor's Craft Download Catalog - Tested & Proven

Raptor9

Just now, AppleDavidJeans said:

OK sorry I should have been more clearer and said only the probe stuff on that page.

No need to apologize. :) Also, since I don't build exact replicas, it wouldn't surprise me if someone skimmed through some of the stuff and not recognize the analogous craft builds.

On November 29, 2014 at 1:53 PM, Raptor9 said:

EV-2L 'Runabout' alternative crew vehicle (under consideration)

On another note, what's your design inspiration for this? I'm guessing from the L it could be something with precisely guided rocket-powered landing capability, possibly a Dragon?

Edited by AppleDavidJeans

1 hour ago, AppleDavidJeans said:

On another note, what's your design inspiration for this? I'm guessing from the L it could be something with precisely guided rocket-powered landing capability, possibly a Dragon?

The EV-2L is basically an EV-2C 'Runabout' with an alternative service module/propulsion section.  Instead of the existing SM, a LITE upper stage (hence the "L") would be used as propulsion, control, and power generation.  The inspiration is a real-life concept proposal to use a ULA ACES upper stage as the service module for an Orion crew capsule.

CM-ACES+41.png

My LITE upper stage is inspired by the ACES, and my EV-2C is inspired by the Orion MPCV.  The goal is a more efficient and cheaper alternative within the Kerbin SOI than the EV-2C/'Titan P' upper stage combination.

29 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

The EV-2L is basically an EV-2C 'Runabout' with an alternative service module/propulsion section.  Instead of the existing SM, a LITE upper stage (hence the "L") would be used as propulsion, control, and power generation.  The inspiration is a real-life concept proposal to use a ULA ACES upper stage as the service module for an Orion crew capsule.

CM-ACES+41.png

My LITE upper stage is inspired by the ACES, and my EV-2C is inspired by the Orion MPCV.  The goal is a more efficient and cheaper alternative within the Kerbin SOI than the EV-2C/'Titan P' upper stage combination.

That could be quite useful around stations! especially if u need some "ommh" to kick one into a higher orbit, like what i would like to do with your skylab.

+1 on the EV-2L

Edited by freakneek

56 minutes ago, Gojira said:

Thank you so much!

Unfortunately they're a big pile, not broken out by VAB/SPH. Probably better that way, since you might want a rover in the SPH, whereas I usually do most of my stuff in the VAB.

Not sure if you use mods or not, but I'm currently using this to organize them. Let's you add tags and such to Crafts. I created a tag for Imported/Raptor9 and others based on function (orbital, subassembly, etc).

Very helpful - highly recommended.

Cheers.

(sorry for a quick double-post) @Raptor9

I admire the cohesion and sheer dedication to your whole series of craft and the consistent updates are impressive!

Quick question (for you or any other SPH devotees) about some of your planes. Any thoughts on how to get the drop tanks to drain first, ahead of the on-board fuel? I took a stab at adding a fuel line, pumping from the tank into the fuselage, but that didn't seem to do anything.

Do I need to disable cross-feed on the pylon? That could be an awesome mod/feature for pylons; to let them function as fuel lines.

18 hours ago, DMSP said:

I mean, for example, the proposed Langrage 1 lunar station.

Well, I don't have a dedicated craft file for that, however if you download the SM-N1 and SM-PL from my Station Module Subassemblies, add a couple solar panels to them and mount it all on the Titan 3P, that would essentially be the same thing mounted on an SLS Block 1B.

I modeled my "Gateway Station" (example in OP under VAB>Stations) after the conceptual Gateway Exploration Platform.  However, mine has an additional module in the form of a lab.

ExplorationGatewayPlatform_components.jp

3 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

I admire the cohesion and sheer dedication to your whole series of craft and the consistent updates are impressive!

Quick question (for you or any other SPH devotees) about some of your planes. Any thoughts on how to get the drop tanks to drain first, ahead of the on-board fuel? I took a stab at adding a fuel line, pumping from the tank into the fuselage, but that didn't seem to do anything.

Do I need to disable cross-feed on the pylon? That could be an awesome mod/feature for pylons; to let them function as fuel lines.

Thanks @Beetlecat:) It does take a fair amount of time to design, test, revise, test again, polish the rims, and generate the graphics for publishing.

Regarding the drop tanks, I did some testing a little bit ago.  My X-5 and X-6 drew fuel from the drop tanks as soon as I turned the engines on, as usual without any interaction from me.  However, my X-7 did not; it drew fuel from all tanks simultaneously.  The difference is the X-5 and X-6 were craft that I built in 1.0.5, whereas the X-7 was built in 1.1.  When I was upgrading my new craft with the updated landing gear after 1.1 came out, I simply opened the 1.0.5 craft files, re-geared them, and saved them as 1.1 craft files.  I'm guessing some of that 1.0.5 behavior carried over.  Since the X-7 was a new build after the 1.1 switch...well, it doesn't behave as I originally intended.

I tried it with the drop tanks "staged", and "not staged".  Made no difference.  I can say though that pre-1.1 the pylons treated fuel tanks appropriately as drop tanks and drew fuel from them first.  Maybe that will get fixed in the next patch. :(  I don't think it's a major deal at this time though.

Edited by Raptor9

17 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

Regarding the drop tanks, I did some testing a little bit ago.  My X-5 and X-6 drew fuel from the drop tanks as soon as I turned the engines on, as usual without any interaction from me.  However, my X-7 did not; it drew fuel from all tanks simultaneously.  The difference is the X-5 and X-6 were craft that I built in 1.0.5, whereas the X-7 was built in 1.1.  When I was upgrading my new craft with the updated landing gear after 1.1 came out, I simply opened the 1.0.5 craft files, re-geared them, and saved them as 1.1 craft files.  I'm guessing some of that 1.0.5 behavior carried over.  Since the X-7 was a new build after the 1.1 switch...well, it doesn't behave as I originally intended.

I tried it with the drop tanks "staged", and "not staged".  Made no difference.  I can say though that pre-1.1 the pylons treated fuel tanks appropriately as drop tanks and drew fuel from them first.  Maybe that will get fixed in the next patch. :(  I don't think it's a major deal at this time though.

Okay -- that makes sense -- and something I can totally wait on the "real" fix, or maybe it'll be something at appears in claw's unofficial fix pack (i'll check to make sure it's a known bug, etc.).

Curious that the older craft would *still* work, even though the part itself is currently broken. There must be something that gets embedded in the .craft? :wink:

Edited by Beetlecat

Just stumbled across this and I've already grabbed as much stuff as I can carry! Everything is clearly laid out and delivered in extensive detail. I'm honestly impressed. The download link for your 6A Warthog lander wasn't working last I checked, not sure if that got reported or not. Other than that, I can't find a single fault.  I'm sure you're busy, but I just have one question for you - which craft is your favourite and/or which did you most enjoy creating?

Brilliant stuff,

Ryan.

5 minutes ago, ryan234abc said:

Just stumbled across this and I've already grabbed as much stuff as I can carry! Everything is clearly laid out and delivered in extensive detail. I'm honestly impressed. The download link for your 6A Warthog lander wasn't working last I checked, not sure if that got reported or not. Other than that, I can't find a single fault.  I'm sure you're busy, but I just have one question for you - which craft is your favourite and/or which did you most enjoy creating?

Brilliant stuff,

Ryan.

Thanks @ryan234abc. I fixed the broken link, thanks for reporting that. :)

It's hard to say which is my favorite. When I get inspiration to create something new, or improve an existing design, I guess it would be my favorite at that time.  When I get a concept or idea working as I envision it (or as close as KSP allows :P), it's really gratifying to see the efforts solidify into a practical design.  So to answer your question, I don't really have any single design I like more than all others.

I have to say that your ships are great to use. The fact that they're close representations to real life concepts and craft, not to mention they've been an inspiration of sorts when building my own crafts, kinda makes me glad I stumbled across them.

With that said, here's a random screencap using your WR-8

screenshot2.png

Keep up the good work!

18 hours ago, Talos said:

I have to say that your ships are great to use. The fact that they're close representations to real life concepts and craft, not to mention they've been an inspiration of sorts when building my own crafts, kinda makes me glad I stumbled across them.

With that said, here's a random screencap using your WR-8

Keep up the good work!

Thanks @Talos, it's great to see screenshots of other people getting use out of these designs.  They of course seem useful and practical to me when I build and fly them, but if it helps other players in their KSP than that's cool to me. :)

EDIT: Meanwhile, now that I've had some time to catch up in my career save.  Mission Control is getting fairly busy.  Ongoing missions in progress:
1) My first Duna mission is still outbound, about 1/3 of the way there.  Their chariot: an EV-3 'Clipper' with an LV-4A 'Armadillo' lander
2) 'Frontier Outpost', my first Mun surface base, is almost complete.  Still need to finalize a design for a comms tower that can be docked to the BM-U surface module. A PD-64 orbital propellant depot is already staged in low Munar orbit, waiting to support ISRU equipment deliveries by HLV-5C's to a site a few kilometers south of 'Frontier Outpost'.
3) 'Pioneer Station' (my ISS-alike station) is now 100% complete with the first expedition crew arrived and beginning research.  At almost 600 parts, it was a bear to complete and taxed my physics framerates fairly well :P.  I switched to lifter rockets late in the game so I didn't have to deal with my higher part count SVR-16 shuttle delivering the rest of the modules.
4) Minmus landings are on hold to free up funds and Kerbalnauts for the other mission sets, only 3 biomes haven't been surveyed.
5) My first official Asteroid Redirect Mission is in progress.  Currently I have a contract to deliver a Class A asteroid to Kerbin orbit, and another identical contract for a Class B.  There were two Class B's on collision courses to Kerbin within 3 and 4 months respectively, so I sent a SEP-AC Mk1 to both.  The closer one I nailed the outbound intercept trajectory like a boss ('Titan P' payload stage exhausted last drop of liquid fuel & oxidizer just as I brought the relative velocity to zero 300 meters next to the asteroid.  Such a perfect rendezvous will never happen again, lol).  The second I borked up and missed by a mile (or several thousand kilometers actually).  The image below is the trajectory being redirected to bring it into a high Kerbin fly-by and then enter a retrograde orbit around the Mun.  A crewed mission will follow shortly thereafter.

First%20ARM_zpsn9xntutc.png

Edited by Raptor9

3 minutes ago, Probe 1 said:

Suggestion: A Soyuz like spacecraft. I'd be OK if you ignore this, but its just a suggestion.

A couple months ago, when I was expanding my Station Module Subassemblies to include more Soviet/Russian-style modules, I had planned to make a D-model EV-1 'Skiff' that would be a Soyuz-style spacecraft, and sort of bridge the gap between the capabilities of the EV-1B and EV-2A.  However, after playing around with it in the VAB a few times, I couldn't come up with a design that seemed logical for a one-Kerbal pod.  So then I tried making a larger three-Kerbal version, as an EV-2D.  Again, I couldn't get a design to my liking.

Another thing that worked against my methodology was the fact that I already had several versions of the 'Runabout': EV-2A as an early-generation capsule like Apollo, EV-2B as a low Kerbal orbit service craft like the CST-100, and the EV-2C as a crew vehicle to support later generation Mun/Minmus landings and deep space exploration like the Orion MPCV.  I couldn't find a "capability gap" that required another EV-2 version, which would most likely be fulfilling the same mission set as the EV-2B, but would undoubtedly be much more expensive due to the additional hardware like the spherical orbital module.

Having said all that, if you have any ideas or thoughts on how I could integrate such a craft into a mission set, I'd be happy to give it another go. :)

On 8/4/2016 at 9:07 PM, Raptor9 said:

A couple months ago, when I was expanding my Station Module Subassemblies to include more Soviet/Russian-style modules, I had planned to make a D-model EV-1 'Skiff' that would be a Soyuz-style spacecraft, and sort of bridge the gap between the capabilities of the EV-1B and EV-2A.  However, after playing around with it in the VAB a few times, I couldn't come up with a design that seemed logical for a one-Kerbal pod.  So then I tried making a larger three-Kerbal version, as an EV-2D.  Again, I couldn't get a design to my liking.

Another thing that worked against my methodology was the fact that I already had several versions of the 'Runabout': EV-2A as an early-generation capsule like Apollo, EV-2B as a low Kerbal orbit service craft like the CST-100, and the EV-2C as a crew vehicle to support later generation Mun/Minmus landings and deep space exploration like the Orion MPCV.  I couldn't find a "capability gap" that required another EV-2 version, which would most likely be fulfilling the same mission set as the EV-2B, but would undoubtedly be much more expensive due to the additional hardware like the spherical orbital module.

Having said all that, if you have any ideas or thoughts on how I could integrate such a craft into a mission set, I'd be happy to give it another go. :)

K. Though a heavy crew transport does come to my mind when thinking of a Soyuz-like spacecraft in KSP. Maybe a CSTS or Shenzhou analog would be more feasible. Also, making it so that the orbital habitat module can be recovered, though it deviates a lot from both spacecraft, might be needed for it to work practically as a heavy crew transport.

Edited by Probe 1

On 8/5/2016 at 11:13 AM, Probe 1 said:

K. Though a heavy crew transport does come to my mind when thinking of a Soyuz-like spacecraft in KSP. Maybe a CSTS or Shenzhou analog would be more feasible. Also, making it so that the orbital habitat module can be recovered, though it deviates a lot from both spacecraft, might be needed for it to work practically as a heavy crew transport.

Perhaps a design that has a Hitchhiker module as additional habitation for long-duration trips to Minmus, which takes a few more days of travel than a hop to the Mun.  Making it capable of reentry as well as the main Mk1-2 capsule would be quite a bit more weight with the additional heatshield and ablator.  I'll toy around with it and see what it comes out like. :)

In other news, the latest screenshots from my career save.  Jeb, Bob and Bill have returned from their short Apollo-style landing on Duna, and are on their way back to Kerbin. The mission already generated enough revenue for the next Duna mission, which will consist of a Constellation-style architecture.  By the time Jeb's crew returns home, the HLV-6A and HLV-6B landers will have already departed in the next outbound transfer window.

LV-4A%20Ascent%20to%20Duna%20orbit_zpshf     Northern%20Hemisphere%20Expedtion_zpsnxa

Meanwhile, Valentina is commanding a Kerbin science expedtion & field training exercise with 4 rookie scientists and 1 rookie engineer, along with two additional pilots and an engineer that are veterans of Mun or Minmus landings.  They're making two stops in the Northern Grasslands just south of the Tundra to conduct a series of contract-related surface surveys, before heading up to the arctic ice caps.

Edited by Raptor9
typo

17 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

Perhaps a design that has a Hitchhiker module as additional habitation for long-duration trips to Minmus, which takes a few more days of travel than a hop to the Mun.  Making it capable of reentry as well as the main Mk1-2 capsule would be quite a bit more weight with the additional heatshield and ablator.  I'll toy around with it and see what it comes out like. :)

K! Also, What ATV do you use with the C7-325R, and if its of your own design, could you please post it?

Edited by Probe 1

Another screenshot collection of my Career progress. Not that I expect anybody to be especially interested in my career save, but I'm enjoying some personal playtime after a summer full of project testing and publishing, and personally I like seeing these designs in use outside of test missions.

1.1.3%20Career%20update%20on%20Year%203%

The "cis-Munar" space region is getting very busy.  Using my latest published craft files, I've finished 'Frontier Outpost' with a nearby ISRU site.  Using left over LV-3C's from the base module delivery flights (which had a significant amount of fuel left over in each), a PD-64 propellant depot in low Munar orbit (topped off by a PD-32 in LKO before departing for the Mun), I was able to support 6 HLV-5C trips to the surface using a single HLV-5C to deliver all the ISRU equipment and the outpost comms tower.  Barely enough was left over in the PD-64 to refuel the HLV-5A crew lander for it's own Mun landing to deliver additional personnel.

I already have a Class A and a Class B asteroid in medium Munar orbit to support additional propellant generation, with another Class B on the way.  Plus, 5 empty LITE reusable upper stages are standing by in low Munar orbit for consolidation at a central refueling and distribution station (I have yet to build) for shipping propellant back to low Kerbin orbit.  I still need to develop a robotic asteroid mining spacecraft (so much to do, so little time :P).

16 hours ago, Probe 1 said:

What ATV do you use with the C7-325R, and if its of your own design, could you please post it?

It is my own design, and publishing it is on my short-term To-Do list.  Not just the ATSV (as I call it All-Terrain Survey Vehicle :)), but also the MCR (Mobile Communications Rover), SRTG, MPC, and additional ISRU equipment I'm developing, like the MIR-2O ore rover (which can hold twice the ore compared to the MIR-1O).  The SRTG and MPC are already pre-packaged with the HLV-6A Duna lander, but I'm going to release them as standalone subassemblies like the rest of the ground support equipment.

Edited by Raptor9

9 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

Another screenshot collection of my Career progress. Not that I expect anybody to be especially interested in my career save, but I'm enjoying some personal playtime after a summer full of project testing and publishing, and personally I like seeing these designs in use outside of test missions.

You kidding? Seeing the toys in action is always the best part. That's where we get inspiration and stuff! :)

Rune. Plus, I also do it a lot. :blush: