Raptor's Craft Download Catalog - Tested & Proven

Raptor9

Three new craft files published today, along with two small updates.  First, I updated the EV-2A 'Runabout'/LV-1A and EV-2A 'Runabout'/LV-1B craft files so that the LV-1 landers draw monopropellant from the EV-2A service modules first, therefore the landers' RCS will have full reserves when undocking for the descent to the Munar surface.  A small but important detail.

Second, the rest of the LV-1 'Frog' family is now released, completing the expanded lander series.  The LV-1S Munar shelter, the LV-1C Munar taxi, and the LV-1U & LV-1H outpost landers round out a lot of the lunar surface concepts I wanted to emulate from the Apollo Applications Program.  There are some obvious small differences, in that the real-life "LEM Taxi" wasn't a single-stage lander, nor was there any ISRU propellant generation in the proposals, along with some others.  But the over-arching concept remains the same to establish a long-term moon outpost using Apollo-era technology and hardware.

There are some more Apollo Applications concepts I want to work on in the future, including releasing my updated "Skylab" analogue, but those are going to the back burner until I get more existing craft updated.  Among those are a dedicated 'Olympus' cargo rocket family based on real-world historical proposals to build more powerful Saturn rocket derivatives.

The LV-1S and LV-1C download links are located in the VAB>Exploration Vehicles section below the existing LV-1A/B links.  The LV-1U & LV-1H download link is in the VAB>Lander Vehicles section.

Edited by Raptor9
Fixed typo on image...thanks Jester

The quality and neatness of your design is exceptional. Especially considering the high complexity mission profile you are targeting.

I've been "to the Mun" multiple times in previous career games but to be honest I can only observe your jewels from the distance as my designs were definitely trashbins with landing legs compared to these!

A handful of more craft updates this evening/early morning.  The A.K.O.S., 'NavComm', and 'KeoSat' Kerbin satellites all got a makeover, as well as the 'Prospector' and 'Surveyor'.  In particular, the new 'Surveyor' (modeled after Lunar Orbiter 1), is a quadruple-capability satellite.  It carries four science experiments, is capable of scanning terrain elevation/biomes, can scan for adequate ore concentrations, and also serves as a communications relay.  The 'Watchtower' asteroid detection probe is also updated with the new 'Thunder' launcher.

The newcomers are the 'Lantern' (inspired by the Soviet Luna 3 probe), and the Mun/Minmus Observing and Relay Satellite, or M.M.O.R.S. (modeled after the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter).  These two have similar capabilities, with three science experiments each; however the MMORS can also serve as a comms relay.

...pending any grammatical or spelling corrections from @Jester Darrak:wink:

PS: Let me know your thoughts on the new 'Prospector' and how it looks...I've kinda gone back and forth with it's layout and appearance.

Edited by Raptor9

On 5/10/2018 at 6:24 PM, Jester Darrak said:

You put that "thuster" typo in on purpose, didn't you? :P

You'll never know. :sticktongue:

EDIT: I also finished the graphics for my Voyager-inspired probe.  I was just too tired last night to finish, but now it's out on KerbalX.  I would like to note that this is NOT an orbital mission, it is strictly a fly-by and gravity-assist introductory probe.  There will be several more brand new probes coming down the line that have increased delta-V reserves to capture into orbits of distant planets, so this probe (being a Voyager analogue) is a good way of learning interplanetary intercepts, gravity slingshots, and gravity brakes.  Every time Matt Lowne goes to Jool in his youtube videos, he utilizes Tylo as a gravity-brake to enter the system, so that is a good source to reference the maneuver.  Using Dmagic's Basic DeltaV modlet, I determined this craft had 534 m/s of dV; enough for course corrections or fine-tuning distant intercepts, but a far cry from substantial trajectory adjustments once inside the Joolian SOI.

Edited by Raptor9

4 hours ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Amazing how you got the VAB and SPH to let you put all those craft like that without the green overlay. 

No camera trickery, it's essentially one giant craft.  I just abused the offset tool to attach and then move all the different craft away from each other.

Three more done.  The EV-2C with the 'Thunder 4-1' launcher to LKO; with the 'Titan 1P' launcher to Munar orbit; and with the 'Titan 3P' launcher for Mun, Minmus or near-Kerbin asteroid rendezvous missions.     

Next up will be the EV-2C/Titan 3P launchers with the revised LV-2 series landers.

Edited by Raptor9

@Jester Darrak

Craft Version v1.3.1 EV-2C v1.4.3 EV-2C
Part Count 110 49
Mass 15.577 tons 9.779 tons
delta-V 1,098m/s to 995 m/s* ~1,282 m/s**
Cost :funds:28,098 :funds:19,400

*v1.3.1 EV-2C's dV was dependent on what engine set you were using (the single LV-T45 or the 8x LV-1R's), but the maximum you could get was from the LV-T45.
**v1.4.3 EV-2C's dV for the LV-909 is 862 m/s, however the large monopropellant supply can be used for secondary propulsion, with an approximate dV of 420 m/s.  Combined, this gives 1,282 m/s.  However, the calculation for this is not as precise, and doesn't take into account monopropellant expended for attitude control or R&D maneuvers.

The main advantages of the new EV-2C are that it is 5.8 tons lighter and less than half (45%) the part count!  This is important as it's meant to operate in conjunction with large interplanetary vessels, like in the case of the EV-4's, but mainly carried along as dead weight for the majority of the trip.  The reduction in mass means less dV penalties for the larger vessel, and the part count reduction is self-explanatory.  The new EV-2C has actually made my EV-2B irrelevant; my current EV-2B in KSP 1.4.3 has 30 more parts, is heavier, costs more, and has less delta-V.  So I need to really buckle down and engineer the heck out of that for efficiency and cost effectiveness in the LKO service mission set.

4 hours ago, ShadowGoat said:

Ugh I haven’t played in a while since I kinda ran out of ideas. Plus there were so many bugs. You have any inspiration for me by any chance, Raptor?

I take most of my ideas from real world spacecraft, proposals, or even engineering papers.  However, another good source of ideas (to include some awesome images) are on "Eyes Turned Skyward" alternate history.  It's where I got the idea for my EV-2A 'Runabout'-Olympus 2 launch configuration, which was based on the Saturn 1C from that website.  The main difference is mine needed 2x KE-1 engines for sufficient thrust-to-weight ratio, instead of the single F-1 on the Saturn 1C.

Attempting to make my own series of rockets, but because I've taken inspiration from your aesthetics so much, a lot of them look almost the same as yours :0.0:

7 hours ago, Shaun said:

Attempting to make my own series of rockets, but because I've taken inspiration from your aesthetics so much, a lot of them look almost the same as yours :0.0:

Join the club. Raptor9 is one of the greatest. I mean, was better than a certain South African who is still a mess in uploading crafts. Perfect balance in looks and part counts.

Edited by Jestersage

Latest updates; the LV-2A and LV-2C.  Important to note that the LV-2C was previously designated the LV-2B.  I decided to swap the designations between the LV-2B and C for a specific reason that I detailed below the images.  As a review, these landers, specifically the Mun version, are inspired by this concept by Boeing, minus the rover of course.  Additionally, these mission setups can be used singularly, or operate in conjunction with an orbiting research/logistics station, it's up to you.  If you leave the landers in orbit or docked at a station, for follow-on missions just remove the lander and it's mount from the rocket's payload fairing, and include a logistics module with enough propellant to refuel it.  How much is up to you; enough fuel for another landing, or two, or three, etc.     

To explain the mash-up of naming conventions...up to this point, I always associated the LV-2 landers as all monopropellant powered.  However, with the recent changes to monoprop tank volumes and such, they've been nerfed somewhat, and really limited to smaller moons like Minmus.  Plus the very small size of the MEM pod makes it ideal for these small landers.  Therefore, the delineating factor between the various lander series will be the main crew pods.  The LV-2's will be based around the MEM.

The currently revised line-up of LV-2 lander family:
LV-2A: monoprop Minmus crew lander (Released)
LV-2B: monoprop Minmus hab lander (Being rebuilt)
LV-2C: LFO Mun crew lander (Released)
LV-2D: LFO Duna crew lander; with the ascent stage essentially being a modified LV-2C (Testing)
LV-2E: LFO Duna hab/lab lander (Testing)

When I have all the LV-2 series completed, the progression from one variant to the next will be more visible and make more sense.  But there will be some cross-pollination between the LV-2 and LV-3 families due to revisions in design approaches.

Edited by Raptor9

My problem isn’t that I can’t buid well, but more that I suck at orbital maneuvers. The most complex thing I’ve done is land on the min, yet I can’t even get an orbital intercept. Even then my tactic To get a moon intercept is to just orbit over and over again until I actually land. I’ve made ships that can go basically anywhere but I can’t fly them.

10 hours ago, Jester Darrak said:

Does that mean the Cricket will be no more? That was my favorite Minmus biome hopper. :(

Unfortunately, the monoprop nerfing would have rendered it obsolete anyway.  But the new LV-2C is very similar to the old 'Cricket', since it's a single-stage reusable lander with a surface refueling port and a 2-Kerbal crew capacity; nonetheless, a quick rundown of the differences below.

Craft Version v1.3.1 LV-2D 'Cricket' v1.4.3 LV-2C 'Grasshopper'
Part Count 66 47
Mass 14,060 tons* 5.883 tons
delta-V 1,968 m/s* 2,028 m/s
Cost :funds:21,574 :funds:12,043
Fuel Required Monoprop LFO & Monoprop
Control Optionally-crewed Pilot required

*With the monoprop adjustments in KSP v1.4, the old LV-2D's mass would have dropped to 8.380 tons and the dV to 1,276 m/s.  That would still have been enough for Minmus landings and a little hovering around, but not much; and it would have eliminated it's viability for the Mun, and possibly even Ike and Dres.

Additional LV-2C improvements over 1.3.1 LV-2D:
- secondary power generation from fuel cell for operations in darkness/shadow
- easier propellant refueling

Edited by Raptor9

5 minutes ago, Jester Darrak said:

Looks like I missed that adjustment, what exactly happened to monoprop?

The tank volumes and dry masses were adjusted to be consistent with the rest of the fuel tanks; same thing happened to the xenon tanks, except it buffed the xenon tanks but nerfed the monoprop.  The Roundified radial tanks had 60 units of monoprop, but now are 20, the Cylindrified radial tanks had 150, but now have 50. I think the stack RCS tanks were adjusted too, with the exception of the large 2.5m tank, which still has 750 units.

All of my Station Module (SM-series) subassemblies are updated.  Most just needed some monopropellant tanks switched out to stay consistent with the 1.4 volume re-balance, but a handful received some decent makeovers.  The SM-U1 and the SM-PB look and function much better IMO, and the SM-N1, N2, and N3 node modules had a drastic cut in part count thanks to the new structural tubes.

In other news, a major design overhaul I've been occasionally mentioning has taken it's final shape, and I'm extremely pleased with the results; both in visual appeal as well as functionality.  I want to say thank you again to @RoverDude for those shiny new gold-wrapped LFO tanks.  They definitely add that nice touch of authenticity, as do the new structural panels.

1.4.3%20LV-2D%20Preview_zpsccj38s0q.png

The new LV-2D and LV-2E Duna landers are re-designated from the previous LV-3D's and LV-3E's respectively.  They've been completely rebuilt from scratch.  The new LV-2D 'Cricket' follows the Boeing concept of using a small reusable lunar lander as a technology-proving demonstrator, and then adapting it to be the Mars ascent vehicle of a two-stage lander.  The LV-2D's ascent vehicle is essentially an LV-2C, with a fully-enclosed frame, landing legs removed, and a single upper stage engine.

The more significant change is that the new LV-2D can only carry two Kerbals, whereas the v.1.3.1 LV-3D could carry three.  However, the justification for this change will become a little more apparent when the rest of the updated mission architecture strategy is finished.  I'm finishing the updated EV-5 'Drifter' Block 1, and testing the new LV-2E Duna habitat lander.  My pace is just intermittent due to work in real-life.