Raptor's Craft Download Catalog - Tested & Proven

Raptor9

1.8 is out. Let's get to work.

Speaking of which, any plan to convert some of the crafts/Rockets to use SRB, if the performance is good enough? (I know I will have plenty of work on my end)

Specifically, a question that arise is which SRB to use as SS-SRB, the largest SRB with gimbal, the 2nd largest (also 2.5m), or the 1.875m SRB. In terms of function (and cost). Nonetheless, Actual Ares-I build is most definitely doable even adhere to the no-bundling philosophy that we both seems to employ -- in fact, quite overpower, with a VAC delta-V of 5000 even when using the 1.8m SRB.

Edited by Jestersage

2 hours ago, Jester Darrak said:

I wish @Raptor9 would update his Ranger with the new SRBs but he stated multiple times he wanted to keep it vanilla. Would be interesting though, if different boosters would differentiate the Thunder 3 and Thunder 4 more like their real life analogues.

The only DLC SRB this time is the 1.8m (Pollux). Both Throughbread and Clydensale are OP, and physically speaking, huge. Putting even the S2-17 on a stack similar to Thunder-4 turns it into an Ariane 5 analogue.

21 hours ago, Jestersage said:

Speaking of which, any plan to convert some of the crafts/Rockets to use SRB, if the performance is good enough? -snip-
Specifically, a question that arise is which SRB to use as SS-SRB -snip-

Too soon to tell.  I've been so busy with work recently, I haven't had any time to play KSP.  I haven't even had time to download and install 1.8 yet.

However, it would be cool to make an Antares and/or OmegA-style lifter that was really cheap, but we'll just have to see (whenever I can get back to KSP).  I definitely plan to use the S2-33 Clydesdale for my Shuttle.  But I'll probably keep the Kickback boosters on my SLS analogue; they already work just fine, and are sufficient for the typical payload masses I put into orbit with my 3.75m lifters.

3 hours ago, Jester Darrak said:

Would be interesting though, if different boosters would differentiate the Thunder 3 and Thunder 4 more like their real life analogues.

True, but the various lifters were primarily designed in such a way that revolved around their manufacturer.  And since Rockomax is the intended manufacturer of the Thunder families, I went with the Thumper boosters.  If anything, I would want to go smaller, but I doubt the new Shrimp would be sufficient, and I haven't even looked to see who manufactures each new booster.  Again, I just need to get time away from work to investigate all of these possibilities.

On 10/19/2019 at 8:38 PM, Jestersage said:

P.S. I will assume the reason why Raptor didn't release anything yet is because KVV got bonked by 1.8, specifically running in DX11 mode.

Nah, just too busy with work. Still haven't been able to boot up 1.8, let alone see what is or isnt working.

2 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

Nah, just too busy with work. Still haven't been able to boot up 1.8, let alone see what is or isnt working.

O okay. In terms of KVV, it's bonked (as with many other mods) -- pink screen. Suspect due to DX11, which existed back in 1.6.

On the other hand, DX11 and new Unity improve framerate a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2019 at 1:14 PM, Jester Darrak said:

It's been quiet the last weeks. Any new stuff to share, @Raptor9?

On 11/18/2019 at 2:32 PM, Jestersage said:

Or are you waiting for KVV 1.8? (I have to go with a stop-gap poster)

No and no.  Unfortunately, due to real-life stuff, I haven't had much time for gaming recently.

Hey raptor I have a Problem alot of plane enthusiast are down voting all my craft they said my craft are basically basic and are low part count to be uploaded I love spacejust as much as everyone else but I feel there mad that my craft are catching the eye others taking away from all the airplanes uploaded by the thousands in a game mint for space SPACE my profile on kerbal x is stefsilver 43 

I just thought you might have any similar experiences when you uploaded earlier in your days if ksp

Edited by stefsilver

5 hours ago, stefsilver said:

I just thought you might have any similar experiences when you uploaded earlier in your days if ksp

I can't say that I've had any serious issues with people downvoting my craft.  The thing with downvoting is it costs several points to downvote a craft.  These points come from the downvoting user's own collection of points that they receive from upvotes or from other activity.  It's in a user's best interest to only downvote a craft that is unplayable, extremely hard to use, or representative of something that would be in bad taste.  You could also downvote a craft that is plagiarized from another user, but that would be a waste since you can simply report it and it will usually be taken down if the report is legitimate.

But in the end, you will always have haters out there.  I've experienced the occasional troll myself, but eventually the upvotes will outnumber the downvotes if your craft isn't unplayable, hard to use, or in bad taste.  KSP generally has a lot more positive players that contribute to the KSP community than negative ones that detract from it, despite the negative players usually making a lot more noise.  If the behavior becomes a serious trend that you believe is excessive, you can always report the activity to one of the awesome Kerbalx volunteer moderators.

On 11/26/2019 at 3:50 PM, stefsilver said:

Hey raptor I have a Problem alot of plane enthusiast are down voting all my craft they said my craft are basically basic and are low part count to be uploaded I love spacejust as much as everyone else but I feel there mad that my craft are catching the eye others taking away from all the airplanes uploaded by the thousands in a game mint for space SPACE my profile on kerbal x is stefsilver 43 

If it's on KerbalX, would you please give us your craft page's URL? (It's case sensitive). Unfortunately we are aware of malicious downvoting, but ironically are restricted to more famous builders.

1 hour ago, Jestersage said:

If it's on KerbalX, would you please give us your craft page's URL? (It's case sensitive). Unfortunately we are aware of malicious downvoting, but ironically are restricted to more famous builders.

https://kerbalx.com/Stefsilver43/craft

its a bit of craft that were down voted but yea I think its because I upload on a near constant basis 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The time has come for me to wind down any further catalog work. With 291 craft files and subassemblies, the download list has grown far, far larger than I ever originally intended over four years ago. At that time, Kerbal Space Program was on the cusp of it's official 1.0 release, and a few forum posters asked if I could post some of the craft I was sharing via screenshots, the original EV-4 'Longship' to be exact. They suggested KerbalX which I hadn't yet heard of. After a few individuals messaged me saying that those craft helped them get to Duna, I decided to post some more craft from my KSP save with the hopes those would also prove useful to some other players. The cooperation among KSP players, especially in the early development days, has always been the virtue of the KSP community. As such, it was something I always wanted to contribute to.

As KSP continued to evolve through Alpha, Beta, and then all the post-1.0 releases of content and game mechanics updates, I had always striven to keep my craft updated in current working order. Unfortunately, that commitment became quite the workload as the catalog continued to grow. I had always found a way to balance craft file maintenance with my own career gameplay; but over the past year, that ratio has become quite one-sided. Halting catalog expansion and maintenance has been something I've been considering for quite some time; since around last February actually.

After finishing the Ranger Corps project, the thought of working on any further graphics or craft file updates kind of took the wind out of my sails and made me question why I was so committed to it in the first place. Especially compared to how little I had advanced in my own career save. So many players had explored the entirety of the Kerbol star system, to include the Outer Planet mod, and they were turning to other star system mods to increase their re-playability. My crewed expeditions had stalled and gone no further than Eve's orbit and Duna's surface, with just probes arriving anywhere else. :/ Don't get me wrong, I have still had way more hours of memorable game time per dollar in KSP compared to any other game I've ever played, and I've been gaming for decades.

My real-life job in the past year has gotten quite busy and I need to focus more of my mental energy on it, especially in recent months. This has resulted in less recreational gaming time, which means less KSP time to divide between the catalog and my career save gameplay. As we clock into 2020, I'm sure we will start hearing news of the next KSP update, as well as KSP 2 down the road. There were some things I wanted to tidy up in my catalog, as well as more things I wanted to try, but regretfully I simply do not have the time for it anymore. :( This, coupled with the unfortunate fact I've had almost zero KSP play in recent weeks, I've decided to commit to letting the catalog go. I also want to branch out different avenues for my creativity. What I don't want to do is set unrealistic expectations for catalog expansion and maintenance when it can no longer be a sustainable priority. If anyone needs help or has questions about the various craft, feel free to message me. I'll of course still be around on the forums. (On a separate issue, I'm still trying to resolve the issue with my Photobucket account so the catalog images are restored to the forums and KerbalX)

First and foremost, I want to thank @katateochi for his maintenance of the KerbalX website. He is probably one of the most accomodating KSP community members out there, always willing to adapt KerbalX to suit the community's needs. His recent recruitment of volunteer moderators for KerbalX is also worth a notable mention. Another singular mention is @linuxgurugamer for maintaining the Kronal Vessel Viewer mod that has been the linchpin of generating graphics for my catalog.

The community members that have been the most influential and inspirational to me are @Rune, @Nertea, @Nils277, @Majorjim!, @Cupcake..., and @KerrMü. Aside from their contributions to the community at large, they've challenged my build techniques, my mission ideas, and have influenced my overall style of craft files. In addition, community members that have consistently thrown ideas my way (even when I don't always incorporate them) are @Jester Darrak, @Majorjim!, @Jestersage, @AlchemicRaven, and @Crobal. They've not only helped to identify craft deficiencies to make the catalog better, they've also assisted with mission architecture refinement and smoothed out some of the rough edges of the catalog itself.

The literal bottom line is that this catalog was built with the help of KSP community members, with the singular purpose to help community members accomplish their goals in Kerbal Space Program, and hopefully inspire others to do the same. Thank you to everyone for the help and assistance. :)

Well, with KSP 2 around the corner that step is overdue. First, that catalogue is huge and basically feature complete. Now, start playing and I'm pretty sure once you dive deeper into the Kerbol System and new designs will come eventually. I'm not applying pressure, just enjoy the game and share what you think might be helpful. From now on it's in our hands to keep the catalogue in shape. I don't think there will be another game (or better catalogue) breaking bugs and we have all the tools we need. At least for me, everything I did during the last months of my career mode was to take your designs and MacGyver it to whatever I needed. And I don't feel that there's anything missing.

Thank you for your hard work and see you in KSP 2! :)

Edited by Jester Darrak