Raptor9

Raptor's Craft Download Catalog - Tested & Proven

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Three_Pounds said:

The offset tool is still limited, even with the option enabled.

I forget which parts I connected them with when placing them, because I really wasn't too concerned since I was about to move them anyway to their final positions.  However, it sounds like you are hitting the initial limit of the offset tool.  If you hold down the Shift key while using the offset tool, it doubles or triples the distance you can move the parts using offsetting.

2 hours ago, Three_Pounds said:

Upon further testing it works fine in 1.3.1. Is that the version of the game you're running?

I'm running 1.4.4, but the current version of the Gilly Logistics Kit (with those fixed struts) was built in 1.4.3.

Edited by Raptor9
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

If you hold down the Shift key while using the offset tool, it doubles or triples the distance you can move the parts using offsetting.

I've played this game for thousands of hours and never knew this. Blind = blown :confused:

Maybe I'm stupid, but to me it looks like the Scarab Cruise Module is either out of balance itself or very prone to even light weight imbalancies. I strapped a MJ2 case onto it and wasn't able to hold attitude while using the Ant Engines.

Additional note: Since MechJeb has it's problems with RCS thrusters I try not to use RCS whenever possible.

After you separate from the 'Thunder 2' upper stage, stage the engines on the cruise module, then cycle action group 3 by double tapping it..  It not only toggles the LV-1R engines, but also ensures the proper "Control From Here" axis is aligned with the thrust vector.

Also, since the SAS system is rather retarded, when I'm flying with a craft that has sufficient gimbaling on the engines, as soon as I start my burn I turn RCS off and let the gimbals keep the craft aligned.  Keeping RCS enabled when drifting, coasting, or burning with gimbals just wastes RCS needlessly in KSP IMO.

Couldn't comment on MJ since I'm unfamiliar with it's function or use.

Posted (edited)
On 7/12/2018 at 1:57 AM, Raptor9 said:

then cycle action group 3 by double tapping it

If I was just able to read... xD

On 7/12/2018 at 1:57 AM, Raptor9 said:

Edited by Jester Darrak

Since we need a dedicated Relay Satellite for the Scarab, which probe out of your catalogue would you suggest in terms of capability, cost and durability? Or did you even have plans for a Deep Space Network?

@Jester Darrak, I was in the process of designing dedicated interplanetary comms satellites, starting with Duna and Eve, when I went on my KSP hiatus.

Posted (edited)

Question: How do you determine which Solar panel to use? Specifically, I am looking a your MOL clone, and I am wondering how you decide to go with the smaller 1x6 panel (aside from, of course, the original one does not have solar panels at all). That got me thinking about the size of solar panel I should have used for my designs.

Edited by Jestersage

10 hours ago, Jestersage said:

how you decide to go with the smaller 1x6 panel (aside from, of course, the original one does not have solar panels at all).

I just thought it looked better with the 1x6 versus the 3x2.  If you look around on the internet, you will find some MOL concept proposals that did include solar arrays.

42 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

I just thought it looked better with the 1x6 versus the 3x2.  If you look around on the internet, you will find some MOL concept proposals that did include solar arrays.

I was thinking of the gigantic array...

@Raptor9 I've been a long time user of your craft on KerbalX, but just found this forum and your YouTube Channel (Raptor 9), thank you so much for all of your hard work and dedication to not only making great craft, but taking the time to make such great documentation on KerbalX and making them stock so they are usable by all.

Fantastic work

Robert

• Like 2

Hey Raptor, would like to ask your opinion: In terms of docking port, when would you use the junior ports, and when should you use the standard ports? Or would it be better to just choose one depends on the looks of one and then have its supporting hardware follow suit?

@Jestersage, I generally keep the small docking clamps as grappling ports as a way of attaching smaller pieces of equipment to a spacecraft, as resource transfer "plug-ins", or used in groups to attach trusses for space stations (or my EV-5 truss).  The regular 1.25m clamps are my standard crew passage and transfer docking ports, and the large 2.5m clamps are for attaching large orbital assembly modules/spacecraft together.

• Like 1