Raptor9

Raptor's Craft Download Catalog - Tested & Proven

With two of my large projects complete and out of the way (SPH Revamp and Sat/Probe Revamp), that leaves me with one that I've been struggling with for a while, despite teasing progress screenshots several times.  I'm working to revamp my surface base modules.  There's not that many published anyway; just a handful of Mun outpost modules.  My goal is to create a new set of modules that work in as many places as possible, along with a new set of cargo landers.  The idea is that if the modules can be assembled and used on multiple planets/moons, then they can be saved as subassemblies, and then the cargo landers can be designed around the specific celestial body it's targeted for.  This will make a more universal outpost assembly process, and streamline the craft file organization.

Conceptually, the player opens the craft list in the VAB, selects the appropriate cargo lander for the target destination (which is already loaded on a rocket lifter), then picks a surface base module they want to deliver from the subassembly menu, and places the module on the cargo lander inside the lifter's pre-sized fairing.  For Munar bases, the lifter and cargo lander will most likely be an all-up launch like the current LV-3C 'Bullfrog'.  For interplanetary destinations, the upper stage will ship the cargo lander and base module to Munar orbit where it will be picked up by a NITE reusable interplanetary transport stage.

The revamp is influenced by the screenshots I posted a while back here and here, but those surface base examples were overly-ambitious, excessive in part count and details, and quite complicated in the assembly process leading to several bugs and modules getting damaged.  So I've reminded myself of the KISS principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid!) in redesigning the modules.  Trying to make the cargo offloading as simple as possible, the base assembly as simply as possible, and keep the part counts as low as possible; trying to find the delicate balance between part count, function, and looks.

Along with this current project, there's a small handful of miscellaneous projects that are waiting on the 1.6 update to finalize.  The itemized list is at the bottom of the OP in the future plans section.  I'm also culling the part counts of some station module subassemblies.  Today I was able to trim 'Pioneer Station' (my ISS analogue) by nearly 50 parts.  Currently, the station as seen in the OP graphic is 515 parts, with two EMU's docked.  If you ditch the two EMU's (each is 24 parts) after station assembly is complete, and factor the refinements I'm making, the part count now stands at 420.  With two EV-2B's docked, that count climbs up to 476, but that's still a decent improvement considering if I had two EV-2B's docked with the existing 'Pioneer Station', it would be 571.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

Can you try revamping the larger passenger jet (C7-300, I think), possibly using this technique?

I've removed the large passenger jets from my catalog, because I've never needed to move 64 Kerbals...or even 20.  The new C7 300 is my C-17 analogue now.

when IS 1.6 "expected" ? i heard quarterly release schedule, but i couldn't find if they mean "by end of each quarter" or "sometime during the first month of each quarter".

14 hours ago, Fyrem said:

when IS 1.6 "expected" ? i heard quarterly release schedule, but i couldn't find if they mean "by end of each quarter" or "sometime during the first month of each quarter".

Considering 1.5 was released on October 11th I would say 1.6 would be released sometime in early January

15 hours ago, Fyrem said:

I wouldn't hold them to a precise time frame.  I think "quarterly release schedule" is more aspirational, despite the language used.

47 minutes ago, Dfthu said:

Considering 1.5 was released on October 11th I would say 1.6 would be released sometime in early January

I'm still hopeful to be playing with 1.6 by Christmas, but we'll see. :)

I could both love and hate the new Mk2 Lander Can. Loving the versarily with the added slim edition but hating the update overall appearence. But the Spark looks awesome!

On 5/22/2018 at 4:06 AM, Raptor9 said:

LV-2D%20Cricket%20Small_zpske4dydgl.png     

OooooooOOOoooH! I LOVE that lander! :D

Hey Raptor, do you expect yourself to at least try to use the Slim Mk2 Lander can, especially for LV-3A? (I know I will experiment with it for my Altair clone)

8 hours ago, Jestersage said:

Hey Raptor, do you expect yourself to at least try to use the Slim Mk2 Lander can, especially for LV-3A? (I know I will experiment with it for my Altair clone)

I've thought about that specific use, but at the moment I don't think so.  I do plan to keep it for my LV-1, but I want to retain the 3-Kerbal crew capacity for the LV-3A.  But, everything is subject to change when I get my hands on it.

2 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

I've thought about that specific use, but at the moment I don't think so.  I do plan to keep it for my LV-1, but I want to retain the 3-Kerbal crew capacity for the LV-3A.  But, everything is subject to change when I get my hands on it.

Right -- mine requires 4-person (or more) no matter what, so a switch from  LEM + Cabin to Mk2 may make sense.