Raptor's Craft Download Catalog - Tested & Proven

Raptor9

So I've had a slow week, and was able to dedicate more time to KSP.  As I alluded to a couple posts above, I'm using this time to not just maintain/update existing craft files, but revisit a lot of legacy craft designs for potential improvements.  Several have already been rebuilt entirely from scratch, such as the entire LV-2 series of landers.  Below is a collection of preview screenshots of the most significant craft redesigns, along with a few brand new ones (like the expanded EV-1 line-up).

I'm particularly glad the new LV-4 is finished.  The 'Armadillo' has been (surprisingly) one of the most popular downloads out of my collections.  Despite this, I never considered it my best work, and this is the third version of it in the photo.  Unlike the previous versions, this new LV-4 now includes an ER-1 'Rat' surface rover stored in a cargo bay with deployable ramp.  A complete science package shares the rover bay real estate, bringing more science returns than ever.

1.2%20Craft%20Preview%20JPEG_zpskskksfb6

My craft file catalog is still a long ways from receiving updates however.  Along with more consistent KSP time, I'm also hoping Kronal Vessel Viewer will be updated to KSP 1.2.X in the near future.  If it isn't, I may have to come up with an alternative presentation scheme when it comes time for uploading to KerbalX.

2 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

I have to say, I love the new designs. Particularly the EV-1D, is that a direct ascent Mun rocket? It looks very good.

Thank you, and good eye. :)  Even though the Mk1 only allows one Kerbal, the EV-1D is based on one of the alternative NASA proposals to extend the Gemini program for lunar landings instead of Apollo.

On 11/20/2016 at 8:42 PM, Raptor9 said:

My craft file catalog is still a long ways from receiving updates however.  Along with more consistent KSP time, I'm also hoping Kronal Vessel Viewer will be updated to KSP 1.2.X in the near future.  If it isn't, I may have to come up with an alternative presentation scheme when it comes time for uploading to KerbalX.

KVV Updated

4 hours ago, ExplorerKlatt said:

KVV Updated

Nice! Thanks for linking that! :)

19 hours ago, DMSP said:

Project Pegasus looks very interesting. Air launch?

Nope.  Although I have experimented with a prototype designated 'C7 305' that is essentially a 300 converted to drop a rocket out the bottom.

'Pegasus' is a throw back to a Mk3 SSTO from v0.25.  Back then, the 'Phoenix' and the 'Pegasus' were two VTOL SSTO's that were deployed as a team.  The v0.25 'Phoenix' was similar to what the SR-21A 'Phoenix' is today (with the exception that it had VTOL capability of course).  The 'Phoenix' would be the passenger delivery spaceplane to and from the Laythe surface, and the 'Pegasus' would be the cargo and surface module delivery spaceplane.  VTOL was a must-have due to the fact that no runways exist on Laythe.  But after the J-33's were nerfed and dimensions redone in later versions, the designs became defunct.  The 'Phoenix' obviously resurfaced in the form of the SR-21A and then a derivative SR-21B, but I still struggled with Mk3 SSTO's that weren't ridiculously huge or just crazy looking (my SSTO spaceplane skills are no where near Rune or some other KSP high-rollers :P).

Project 'Pegasus' is my attempt to bring it back into practical use.  It won't have VTOL tech, but it should be able to easily ferry surface modules and rovers down to Laythe.  The design itself is promising; I've just been trying to find out exactly how it could be used, assuming I could find a location reasonably flat enough on Laythe to land and takeoff from.  Of course, I've only been as far as Dres (once), and I've never made it Jool...stepping stones. :rolleyes:

It's nice to see you build a few more units.

I had modified your EV-2B so it contains a Mk-1 crew cab in the service bay, and replaced it's fuel tank with 12 Oscar in total and 4 twitch engines, turning it into 5 person Dragon v2. It still look nice and can land in one piece.  Is there some design philosophy that you would not do that?

9 hours ago, Jestersage said:

Is there some design philosophy that you would not do that?

Not really, just a matter of preference.  I haven't really had much drive to design a propulsive landing type vehicle like the Dragon v2, or a reusable launch system like the Falcon 9.  So I decided instead to loosely base the EV-2B on the Boeing CST-100.  It's still relatively cheap to use.  But the cheapest way to transport three Kerbals to LKO/MKO and back is my SVR-10 'Thunderbird' (itself based on the X-20 Dyan-soar).  In KSP 1.1.3, it costs just under :funds:30,000 per launch for the SVR-10 (assuming you landed back at the KSC for full recovery).

In other news, I've downloaded @linuxgurugamer's version of KVV for KSP 1.2.1, and it works like a champ.  I've already started generating new graphic prints for some of the new craft files like the EV-1D, and updating existing ones along the way.

34 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

Not really, just a matter of preference.  I haven't really had much drive to design a propulsive landing type vehicle like the Dragon v2, or a reusable launch system like the Falcon 9.  So I decided instead to loosely base the EV-2B on the Boeing CST-100.  It's still relatively cheap to use.  But the cheapest way to transport three Kerbals to LKO/MKO and back is my SVR-10 'Thunderbird' (itself based on the X-20 Dyan-soar).  In KSP 1.1.3, it costs just under :funds:30,000 per launch for the SVR-10 (assuming you landed back at the KSC for full recovery).

In other news, I've downloaded @linuxgurugamer's version of KVV for KSP 1.2.1, and it works like a champ.  I've already started generating new graphic prints for some of the new craft files like the EV-1D, and updating existing ones along the way.

I found the problem with the struts not hiding, will be doing an update tomorrow

16 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

I see.TBH I did that, aside from being a SpaceX fanboy, the modified capsule have a few other benefit: 1) deliver more Kerbals in a compact  2.5m package; the hitchhiker looks too big and not crash tolerant. 2) eliminate the need to airbrake on reentry from a steep descent. I tested with a 400k re entry, one to -400k pe, and one with 20k pe, and the modified capsule survived.

Just updated a batch of craft files (complete list at the bottom of the OP).  Mostly X-planes; practically no changes, just some auto-strutting to keep wings from flexing ridiculously on some aircraft like the X-8/WR-8.  Also updated all existing EV-1 versions along with publishing the two new ones below.  The EV-1C is also brand new, but I'm still calling it an update since I had a older version of it already on KerbalX.

Also updated are all EV-2A craft files to cover the Apollo-analogue era.  Still need to update the LV-1C habitation lander and 'Sky Lab' station to complete that collection however.  Hopefully in the next couple days.

Edited by Raptor9

On 26/11/2016 at 0:52 AM, Raptor9 said:

Just updated a batch of craft files (complete list at the bottom of the OP).  Mostly X-planes; practically no changes, just some auto-strutting to keep wings from flexing ridiculously on some aircraft like the X-8/WR-8.  Also updated all existing EV-1 versions along with publishing the two new ones below.  The EV-1C is also brand new, but I'm still calling it an update since I had a older version of it already on KerbalX.

EV-1B%20Skiff-Javelin%204%20Small_zps24x    EV-1D%20Skiff-Thunder%201%20Small_zps3hn

Also updated are all EV-2A craft files to cover the Apollo-analogue era.  Still need to update the LV-1C habitation lander and 'Sky Lab' station to complete that collection however.  Hopefully in the next couple days.

Really nice Craft, i have a sugerence, why not replicate the big gemini as a early transport craft?

Resultado de imagen para big gemini

10 hours ago, Eternal Aeroespacio said:

why not replicate the big gemini as a early transport craft?

1) I certainly considered it when looking at the extended Gemini program proposals :) However, I've done craft like that before, and I really didn't care for how they turned out.

2) After I made such craft, I rarely ever used them and found myself just letting them become defunct.  I don't have any landers that take more than three Kerbals to the surface at one time, so I don't have any need for large passenger transports.

Similar question was asked of me one time why I don't make dedicated cargo craft like the Dragon or Progress.  Those types don't serve any purpose in my playstyle, so I don't have much drive to make them.

Thanks for updating your crafts.

I think a possible craft idea is to make some kind of ESA Hermes shuttle that launch on top of one of the Thunder / Lighting. In fact I actually made one myself (at block D iteration), but I want to see your intepretation.

The main reason I did that, instead of building something similar to your SVR-20 (or use your SVR-20), are the following reasons:

1. Plane-on-a-stick is easier to fly than side mounted shuttles, even with thrusters underneath the "fuel tank"
  2. longer payload bay without loss of passenger capacity -- managed to did some salvaging contracts with it
  3. Forward and aft docking bay -- makes docking easier.

And of course, can't wait to see your spin of relay and launching systems.

On 11/30/2016 at 0:18 AM, CReagan505 said:

I just getting back into KSP, figured I'd swing by and see all the cool stuff you've been building. Dude, this stuff is amazing!!!

Thanks man. :)

Some more craft uploaded the past couple days:
- C7 200, C7 300, C7 310, C7 320, C7 325R
- X-14, X-18
- LV-1C Mun habitat lander and 'Sky Lab' which rounds out the Apollo-era analogue craft already updated last week
- EV-2B LKO service vehicle
- EV-2C (3 versions, mounted on the 'Thunder 1B' for LKO, 'Titan 1P' for Munar trajectories, and 'Titan 3P' for anything within the Kerbin SOI and Near-Kerbin Asteroid missions)

EDIT: Also, as I update each craft to KSP 1.2, I'll be implementing a new tagging system on KerbalX to more easily sort groups of craft for missions sets.  As missions become more complex, several craft downloads will be needed for any given Design Reference Architecture (DRA).  An example of Mun DRA 1.0 would be Apollo-era hardware analogues, such as my EV-2A, LV-1-series landers, and Titan 5 rockets.  Mun DRA 2.0 would be the Constellation-style craft, etc.  The tags themselves are meant to be in the stock KSP style to resemble actual icons in the game itself.  Some examples of other tags that will be displayed on KerbalX below:

Tag-VAB_zpsqbouusvz.png     Tag-DunaDRA2.0_zpsllwym2kp.png     Tag-MunBaseModule_zps8qrddvuo.png     Tag-Optionally%20Crewed_zpsyxgut5m1.png     Tag-OrbitalAssy_zpsae1i1ff1.png    Tag-Reusable_zpsijo2nf4l.png

The OP also needs updated as I'm reorganizing things a bit.  So please bear with me.  Some craft files are being consolidated as I refine my own mission setups.  One example is dedicated downloads for the LV-1A, LV-1B, LV-2A, and LV-2B landers have been removed, as these are shipped with EV-2-series craft for their respective mission architectures.  This will hopefully clean up the download list and make it less confusing as to which craft are required to perform a given multiple-craft mission, along with the tagging system.

Edited by Raptor9

On 12/4/2016 at 2:50 AM, chlbutterworth said:

How did you calculate the Payload Rating's for the Rockets?

I ran a series of test launches with ballast inside the payload fairings.

On 12/4/2016 at 4:10 AM, valens said:

I look forward to seeing this used.

There are already a lot of my KerbalX craft with these already implemented. :) If you see a craft with these, that means it's been updated to 1.2.  Also, if you want to use them in your search, say you want to find all my craft that are "Optionally-Crewed" or "Reusable", simply type those into the search bar in my craft list and it will list all available craft with those tags.

EDIT: I thought I had uploaded the new EV-2C on the Thunder 1B for LKO launches, and the C7 325R, but apparently not. :rolleyes: Both are uploaded now, along with a few more Station Module subassemblies, the EMU subassembly, and the SVR-10 'Thunderbird'

Edited by Raptor9

4 hours ago, chlbutterworth said:

Since you have done a replica ISS and Russian Space Stations. Have you thought about doing replica Soyuz and ISS vehicles?

I had at one point.  I just couldn't get a Soyuz-type craft to my liking.  Also, in my play style, there wouldn't be any use for a Soyuz-style crew vehicle when my EV-2-series already performs the same functions.  And as for other ISS vehicles like the ATV, Dragon, Progress, and Cygnus, there really isn't much use I would get out of them since those are all cargo vehicles, and you don't need to move anything in KSP besides Kerbals, science data, or propellant.  I already have plenty of dedicated LKO transports for moving Kerbals, science data can be loaded on any crewed capsules going back down to the Kerbin surface, and propellant would come from the Mun or Minmus ISRU sites, not from Kerbin.

That's my take on it anyway. :)

6 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

Quite a flurry of uploads and updates! I'm loving it, @Raptor9!

Time to plan out some missions and take my first stab at orbital assembly.

I'm hoping to have the new EV-3 'Clipper' and LV-4A 'Armadillo' lander finished this week.  I have a growing list of updates that are in queue ready to go when I get some more time for uploading.  Still need to finish the last group of updated Station Module subassemblies, and three new craft files for Minmus DRA 1.0.  I also need to generate a few more tags that I forgot to do.  So much to do; trying to capitalize on my KSP time while it's slow at work.

On 11/27/2016 at 6:46 PM, Raptor9 said:

1) I certainly considered it when looking at the extended Gemini program proposals :) However, I've done craft like that before, and I really didn't care for how they turned out.

2) After I made such craft, I rarely ever used them and found myself just letting them become defunct.  I don't have any landers that take more than three Kerbals to the surface at one time, so I don't have any need for large passenger transports.

Question: How do you do the tourist contracts?I still remembered the time when I have to carry 8 tourist to Mun and land them.

Anyway, do you have the rough draft/old file of that Big Gemini?