Raptor's Craft Download Catalog - Tested & Proven

Raptor9

On 12/7/2016 at 6:22 AM, Jestersage said:

Question: How do you do the tourist contracts?I still remembered the time when I have to carry 8 tourist to Mun and land them.

I've never done any tourist contracts beyond LKO.  The time isn't worth the revenue in my opinion.  I'd rather focus on exploration contracts, satellite deliveries, or building infrastructure like fuel depots or ISRU sites.

On 12/7/2016 at 6:22 AM, Jestersage said:

Anyway, do you have the rough draft/old file of that Big Gemini?

Oh lord no.  That effort was around 0.24 or 0.25 time frame. Sorry. :(

EDIT: I've finished uploading the final group of updated Station Module subassemblies: zenith cores and the truss system.  Also updated are the 'Titan 4C' and 'Titan 4C+' heavy lifters.  'Titan 3'-series will come tomorrow; along with the re-done LV-2 landers.

The legacy LV-2A 'Grasshopper' Minmus lander relied on a pre-positioned station in low orbit around Minmus to refuel and offload science data, and therefore was launched on an uncrewed 'Thunder 3' payload rocket and sent to the station ahead of the first expedition crew.  I decided to cut that particular tether and instead give players the option of conducting standalone landing missions, or using an orbital station as a staging point.  The new LV-2A 'Grasshopper' uses an "all-up launch" method akin to Apollo and my EV-2A/LV-1/Titan 5 configurations.  The LV-2A is stored in the payload section of the EV-2C/Titan 3P configuration, itself an analogue to the Orion/SLS Block 1B Crew rocket.  A crew conducts a single landing (or multiple if sufficient lander propellant remains) and then returns to Kerbin, whether they utilize a Minmus orbital station or not.  If desired, follow-on missions could replace the LV-2A lander in the payload fairing for a monopropellant fuel tank to refuel the lander left in Minmus orbit/docked to orbital station.

Like the LV-1C habitat lander, the LV-2C 'Heavy Grasshopper' provides a pre-positioned autonomous surface habitat and expanded field lab of experiments for Minmus landings.  It includes an ER-V aerial survey vehicle for gathering basic sensor readings from multiple biomes.  It is also mounted on a large docking mount that allows it to be mated to either an EV-3 or EV-4 NTR stage and sent to other planetary bodies for low-gravity use.

The LV-2B, like it's legacy version, is an adaptation of the LV-2A for Munar operations.  It's been lightened somewhat in mass, with a third engine for handling the higher gravity of the Mun.  Like the A-model, it has been tested to be reusable.  While it has enough propellant to make a round trip to the surface and back, or vice versa, it is equipped with a small docking clamp on the base of the frame to enable surface refueling from ISRU equipment.  Despite being capable of transporting only a single Kerbal, the LV-2A/B landers are inspired by Boeing design references for a reusable lunar lander (with some slight variations of course).

Z51-350x231.jpg

Edited by Raptor9

15 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

I've never done any tourist contracts beyond LKO.  The time isn't worth the revenue in my opinion.  I'd rather focus on exploration contracts, satellite deliveries, or building infrastructure like fuel depots or ISRU sites.

I see. I personally prefer Transporting and contract completion.

Anyway, I would like to know how you create those nice posters. I think earlier you mentioned using one of the branch of Kronal viewer; but what else did you use, such as the isometric view and the text of your poster? I think it's one of the main selling point of your crafts, aside from being efficient (eg: instead of the common  2-orange tank delta clone that is too heavy, you just go with one for your Thunder)

And yes, I want to create something similar for the crafts I had designed and upload to KerbalX. I may even need to reference some of your designs!

Edited by Jestersage

5 hours ago, Jestersage said:

Anyway, I would like to know how you create those nice posters. I think earlier you mentioned using one of the branch of Kronal viewer; but what else did you use, such as the isometric view and the text of your poster?

The 1.2 branch of KVV by @linuxgurugamer is working great for me, that's how I get the craft images.  After that, I drop the images onto a standard graphic template layout I built using Microsoft Paint.  This is where I do the rest of my editing, the text, the title, etc is all in Paint.  It does take a bit of effort, but I think it's a good way to show in a concise, and easy to understand way, what went into a craft and how it was designed to be used.

4 hours ago, JWOC said:

how do you post pics in a thread, like you have in the OP

When typing or editing a thread post, at the bottom right corner (just above "Submit Reply" button) is a grey button called "Insert other media".  Use that to embed a image url to your image.  I personally use Photobucket.

After much, much testing, I finally got the new LV-4A 'Armadillo' Duna lander finished and published on KerbalX.  Along with that, the EV-3 'Clipper' and associated component lifters are also redone/updated on KerbalX.  As previewed above, the new LV-4A includes an entirely new descent stage which includes a cargo bay with expanded science equipment and a surface rover.  Happy launchings. :)

Edited by Raptor9

When you say "Eve mission architecture", are you going to do the Manned Venus Flyby with Apollo? I am trying to use your EV-2A + Titan 5 as a starting point to make a Eve flyby craft, mounting 2x one-way landing rovers. Haven't tested it yet since I have never gone beyond Minmus.

Also, you do not have Titan-5 as a separate download.

Edited by Jestersage

19 hours ago, Jestersage said:

When you say "Eve mission architecture", are you going to do the Manned Venus Flyby with Apollo?

While that was certainly an interesting thing to read about when I was researching the Apollo Applications program and the Boeing IMIS study of 1969, that isn't exactly what I had in mind.  My original plan was a fairly elaborate mission architecture that would have involved a lot of parts and pieces, be extremely expensive from a career point-of-view, and required a lot of room for error due to over-complication.

At the moment, I'm focused on getting all my 1.1.X craft to 1.2.X currency, and using that as a chance to revamp a lot of the older craft files to better designs.  However, I've been taking breaks from that to plan out (among other things) a better Eve mission strategy that is more tiered.  Each tier would be attained based on experience and proficiency gained from the preceding tier.
Tier 1) Establish a foothold in the Eve SOI by constructing an outpost at Gilly in the form of a small space station.  ISRU equipment would then be brought in to gather propellant from the surface of Gilly to provide delta-V reserves to future spacecraft arrivals, and stored at the space station.
Tier 2) Start sending spacecraft to low Eve orbit to build infrastructure and gain proficiency at moving spacecraft around the Eve SOI (higher gravity well than Kerbin).  Establish a space station in low Eve orbit.  The station will probably be much larger than the Gilly station and include a research lab.
Tier 3) Initiate robotic surface exploration of Eve with small probe landers and rovers, staged out of the station in low Eve orbit.  Atmospheric entry angles and speeds can be experimented with using the probes to predict landing trajectories for targeted locations.  Potential landing sites of larger landers can be surveyed along the way.
Tier 4) Crewed landers will begin Eve atmospheric entries to the surface.  Probably start out in smaller one-Kerbal landers and hopefully progress to multi-Kerbal lander/ascent vehicles and surface outposts.

19 hours ago, Jestersage said:

I am trying to use your EV-2A + Titan 5 as a starting point to make a Eve flyby craft, mounting 2x one-way landing rovers. Haven't tested it yet since I have never gone beyond Minmus.

Also, you do not have Titan-5 as a separate download.

That sounds awesome. :) I'd like to see any screenshots here whenever you do the mission(s).  The Titan 5 was really only meant to be a similar analogue to the Saturn 5, not a standard lifter for other uses beyond the early Mun missions.  That's why I never posted it as a separate download

5 hours ago, Starslinger999 said:

Is there a way i can manually install all of your craft at once? because its quite annoying downloading one craft at a time.

Not at this time I'm afraid.

Edited by Raptor9

6 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

While that was certainly an interesting thing to read about when I was researching the Apollo Applications program and the Boeing IMIS study of 1969, that isn't exactly what I had in mind.  My original plan was a fairly elaborate mission architecture that would have involved a lot of parts and pieces, be extremely expensive from a career point-of-view, and required a lot of room for error due to over-complication.

That sounds awesome. :) I'd like to see any screenshots here whenever you do the mission(s).  The Titan 5 was really only meant to be a similar analogue to the Saturn 5, not a standard lifter for other uses beyond the early Mun missions.  That's why I never posted it as a separate download

Well, Some redesign is needed.

https://imgur.com/a/kPSNQ

The basic design is literally usign the EV-2A / LV-1A + titan5, remove the LV, then put in the rover and the lab. Since it was suppose to be used to use the upper stage for the trans-venus injection, I added a rockomax-8 fuel tank. However, it ran out of fuel before hitting venus. This would make sense, as the original plan utilize a wet workshop, and thus would have much greater fuel capacity. 

I am going to try strapping extra fuel tanks on the side, but that already made it no longer suiting your design philosophy (as far as I can tell)

I may, however, show the ESA Hermes clone some time, which I built using your Thunder series.

@Starslinger999Somone made a zip of all raptor9s craft but I think it is out of date. The guy who created it, posted a link in a post a while back, you may have to go digging for it  because it was a few months ago 

-JWOC 

Edited by JWOC

Nathy Kerman performing EVA at Mun Gateway Station.

Due to limited supplies and not-so-advanced technology and materials a somewhat Angus MacKerbal-esque approach was chosen to get this station into Low Munar Orbit. The Camel-64 on the left brought a Dragon ship which also serves as Emergency Return Vehicle. It is capable of descending to the surface of the Mun where the Crew seeks shelter in the yet-to-build Surface Outpost as well as returning back to either LKO or Kerbins surface. Nathy was tasked with upgrading the old transfer stages with SOTA VAHDRE-Kit (Vertical Aerostatic and Hydraulic Deceleration Retrofit Equipment).

20161213013220_1.jpg

Mucho Kudos to Raptor for his ship-building skills. Although I am using a few mods, his craft catalogue is stunning. Especially for beginners like (former) me his designs really flattens out the learning curve paired with sexy looking vehicles. Although even the earlier and more simple designs sometimes require endgame technology (550+ Sciene range) it's still pretty easy to find work-arounds, or more like build-arounds. Since the player spends most of the time shoving tourists to Mun and Minmus the first 2 years in career mode (need the money to upgrading KSC) one is very confident and skilled once you unlock all the great stuff and prepared for endgame in general. Also, his approach in building spacecraft had an influence on me and at the moment I am working on a Modular Interplanetary Transport System (MITS). Ok, Scott Manley also inspired me, but who didn't he inspire? :D

I like to play games as they are, but there are a few mods that are somewhat mandatory. I use MechJeb2 (some sort of devbuild), KAS and KIS, probably the most downloaded mods of all time. For personell transport into LKO and LO's of both Muns I use Kerbal Reusability Expansion (Dragon, as seen on the picture, right next to the lab module). For Duna and Eve Colonization I'll be using it too, as well as the great ARES Rover. Someone need to save Mark Kerbney.. :wink:

Back to topic: Great work, Raptor. Would be great if you highlight the most drastic changes in your updated designs for recent patches on the first page.

I'll share my MITS once I ironed out the basic design. Maybe in my own thread then, although it's heavily based on Raptors current work.

€dit: Don't mind the Cupola, I just glued it there for a contract, will get blown up once the station has reached the demanded fuel level and starts long-term operation with full crew of four.

Edited by Jester Darrak

On 6-6-2015 at 4:33 AM, SHiftER2O said:

Awaiting release! :D

- - - Updated - - -

Are these not available for download?

Oh by the way, i see that i only have 148 Craft files in there while there are 154, So i missed out on a couple.

But mostly everything is in there :kiss:

On 12/13/2016 at 5:55 AM, Jester Darrak said:

Nathy Kerman performing EVA at Mun Gateway Station.
[...snip...]
Back to topic: Great work, Raptor. Would be great if you highlight the most drastic changes in your updated designs for recent patches on the first page.

I'll share my MITS once I ironed out the basic design. Maybe in my own thread then, although it's heavily based on Raptors current work.

Thanks @Jester Darrak:) I'm glad you're getting good use out of these designs.  I enjoyed the screenshot.  Regarding the changes to each craft.  Most of the changes are very small.  Maybe shifting some struts around and swapping antennas due to the recent KSP changes.  But other than that, the only significant changes in the craft are the ones that are entirely rebuilt, like the LV-2's, LV-4, etc.  I would say anything that previously had the O-10 'Puff' engine should be re-downloaded since that engine was made much bigger.  But it did give me some good ideas for new landers in the case of the LV-2's.  Others, like the LV-1A & B landers, I had to completely replace the engine for something else.

I'd really like to see the MITS when it's done.  Always interested to see how others approach the interplanetary ship design, especially if modularity is used.
In other news, the EV-5 and supporting component lifters are updated.  Only major change is autostrutting to make the truss more sturdy, and swapping the DTS-M1 comms dishes for a pair of RA-2 relay antennas.  Also updated are the MIR-series rovers (with a brand new one added to the series), and the Utility rovers updated as well.  The LV-2D 'Cricket', ATSV and a new SR-19A spaceplane are about to be updated as soon as I finish the graphics.

Next on my list is the 'Lightning' rocket, HLV-5 lander and components, and the IV-1 'Meerkat' variants.

EDIT: The SR-19A won't be released as soon as I thought.  Still needs some more work, but this is why I QA my designs prior to uploading to KerbalX.

Edited by Raptor9

8 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

In other news, the EV-5 and supporting component lifters are updated.  Only major change is autostrutting to make the truss more sturdy, and swapping the DTS-M1 comms dishes for a pair of RA-2 relay antennas.  Also updated are the MIR-series rovers (with a brand new one added to the series), and the Utility rovers updated as well.  The LV-2D 'Cricket', ATSV and a new SR-19A spaceplane are about to be updated as soon as I finish the graphics.

Next on my list is the 'Lightning' rocket, HLV-5 lander and components, and the IV-1 'Meerkat' variants.

great to see that @Raptor9

-JWOC

6 hours ago, Jester Darrak said:

By the way, I had some issues with the older LV-3's not firing their poodles because they need a fuel line if not directly connected to the fuel tank. Has this yet been corrected?

His old lv3a worked in 1.2, and since he is working on updating his design for 1.2, you actually see less fuel lines.

9 hours ago, Jester Darrak said:

By the way, I had some issues with the older LV-3's not firing their poodles because they need a fuel line if not directly connected to the fuel tank. Has this yet been corrected?

2 hours ago, Jestersage said:

His old lv3a worked in 1.2, and since he is working on updating his design for 1.2, you actually see less fuel lines.

I did have to tweak the fuel routing and part placements of the LV-3A for it to work in 1.2.X.  However, the rest of the LV-3's still aren't finished.  What's holding up the LV-3C is I still need to redesign/update the Mun base module collection.  However, the LV-3B is a design that I think I can do better at.  I'm looking to make the new LV-3B more than just a lab and rover you plop down on the Munar surface.  My goal is to make it like a single-landing outpost that you could strategically place at any location on the Mun that you don't want to commit to building a long-term, multi-module base with the LV-3C/Base Modules.  The reasoning behind getting more bang for the buck with the LV-3B is being able to alternatively use it as a quick surface outpost setup that can be applied to locations of similar gravity to the Mun like Dres or Ike.

35 minutes ago, Raptor9 said:

I did have to tweak the fuel routing and part placements of the LV-3A for it to work in 1.2.X.  However, the rest of the LV-3's still aren't finished.  What's holding up the LV-3C is I still need to redesign/update the Mun base module collection.  However, the LV-3B is a design that I think I can do better at.  I'm looking to make the new LV-3B more than just a lab and rover you plop down on the Munar surface.  My goal is to make it like a single-landing outpost that you could strategically place at any location on the Mun that you don't want to commit to building a long-term, multi-module base with the LV-3C/Base Modules.  The reasoning behind getting more bang for the buck with the LV-3B is being able to alternatively use it as a quick surface outpost setup that  and be applied to locations of similar gravity to the Mun like Dres or Ike.

Raptor9 when you release the new base modules can you release them without the launch vehicles. it a pain to have to download it and take the SBM modules out of the associated rocket. if you have already put the set of the SBM modules up, can you point me to where to download them 

thanks,

-JWOC

1 hour ago, JWOC said:

Raptor9 when you release the new base modules can you release them without the launch vehicles. it a pain to have to download it and take the SBM modules out of the associated rocket. if you have already put the set of the SBM modules up, can you point me to where to download them 

That goes against my release philosophy I'm afraid.  With the exception of rovers and space station modules, I always release all my craft with an included launcher that is tested and verified to get the payload to where it's designed to go.  For some inexperienced players that may not be good at building launchers, this ensures they get the desired use out of the craft.  For other players, regardless of their experience, it may be just as frustrating to have to put these modules back in to a launcher.  And no, I haven't put the new ones on KerbalX yet.

Edited by Raptor9