[1.10.1+] Contract Configurator [v1.30.5] [2020-10-05]

nightingale

2 hours ago, Liondrome said:

When I am in the KSC screen, I get spammed by this message: [Error]: ContractConfigurator.Util.Version: Couldn't find assembly for 'ResearchBodies'! I do not have Research Bodies installed.

good morning, i have same problem. it was installed before a few days, but i delete it. can´t find any data from research bodies in my folders. from where comes the issue.

is there any way to become fewer contracts? kerbin is shown in the tracking station full of contracts, from what i accept or i can accept. this is too much information to find the waypoint i need

i feel a little overwhelmed

maybe someone can help please

Edited by M4ssler

Before the latest patch I was getting spammed with duplicate Dmagic Orbital Science contracts on a body I'd not visited and which I could neither accept nor decline. After the recent update, they've gone away...only to be replaced by even worse spam of duplicate RemoteTech and ScanSat contracts that similarly can't be accepted or denied and are for bodies I've not visited yet.

EDIT: I am using Research Bodies (as well as a bunch of other mods)

Edited by baldamundo

@RickKermen - That can happen if there's an exception in the contract system.  I'd need to see a KSP.log to be able to debug it though.

@Liondrome & @M4ssler - Drat, I had that message on for testing - I forgot to turn it off.  It's harmless, it's just doing its ResearchBodies check to see if it needs to go in that logic.  I've fixed it for the next release so that it doesn't output that message.

@baldamundo - DMOS doesn't use Contract Configurator.  Can you provide a log?  And maybe show me a screenshot, as I'm not 100% sure I understand what you mean.

@Deimos Rast - Just log spam - can be ignored.  It's far more harmless than the bugs that were fixed by 1.16.0. :)

13 minutes ago, nightingale said:

@baldamundo- DMOS doesn't use Contract Configurator.  Can you provide a log?  And maybe show me a screenshot, as I'm not 100% sure I understand what you mean.

Oh. I originally posted about it in the DMOS thread and someone suggested it might be CC. Then I saw the update, downloaded it, noticed my bug seemed to have changed, so posted.

It looked like this (notice how there's no 'accept' or 'decline' button displaying): A7ACAiZ.png

And now it's basically the same, except ScanSat and RemoteTech contracts instead of DMOS.

I'm running quite a lot of mods, and afaik this is just an annoying visual bug that doesn't actually cause any real problems, so I wouldn't worry about it too much, but if you want to take a look at the log it's here - Log is here - https://www.dropbox.com/s/pxix140ewb1pu16/output_log contract spam.txt?dl=0

Edited by baldamundo

I thought that, as of a few releases ago, you could accept contracts from Mission Control only.  The ability to accept from the CapCom window in other scenes was removed.  I don't know if that resulted in the disappearance of the Accept button or not.

7 minutes ago, baldamundo said:

Oh. I originally posted about it in the DMOS thread and someone suggested it might be CC. Then I saw the update, downloaded it, noticed my bug seemed to have changed, so posted.

It looked like this (notice how there's no 'accept' or 'decline' button displaying): 

<snip>

And now it's basically the same, except ScanSat and RemoteTech contracts instead of DMOS.

I'm running quite a lot of mods, and afaik this is just an annoying visual bug that doesn't actually cause any real problems, so I wouldn't worry about it too much, but if you want to take a look at the log it's here - Log is here - https://www.dropbox.com/s/pxix140ewb1pu16/output_log contract spam.txt?dl=0

Do the contracts show up like that in Mission Control though?  If not, then I'd report it on the CapCom thread...

Just now, Brigadier said:

I thought that, as of a few releases ago, you could accept contracts from Mission Control only.  The ability to accept from the CapCom window in other scenes was removed.  I don't know if that resulted in the disappearance of the Accept button or not.

I made @DMagic aware of the changes required for CapCom to work with the Contract Configurator changes.  Looking at his release page, looks like those changes were released a couple days ago.

hope this helps to find the issue

PM,ResearchBodies,WithDrew contract "Do a grand tour of all the planets"

PM,ResearchBodies,WithDrew contract "Point a dish out from Kerbin"

is spam in the debug toolbar every second

2 hours ago, nightingale said:

Do the contracts show up like that in Mission Control though?  If not, then I'd report it on the CapCom thread...

I made @DMagic aware of the changes required for CapCom to work with the Contract Configurator changes.  Looking at his release page, looks like those changes were released a couple days ago.

Good thinking. Have tested in Mission Control and it looks as if something's gone badly wrong with CapCom. Sorry to trouble you and thanks for the help!

Edited by baldamundo

1 hour ago, M4ssler said:

hope this helps to find the issue

PM,ResearchBodies,WithDrew contract "Do a grand tour of all the planets"

PM,ResearchBodies,WithDrew contract "Point a dish out from Kerbin"

is spam in the debug toolbar every second

Hmmm...  looks like ResearchBodies and Contract Configurator still disagree in some cases.  The problem is that my check is too simplistic - I'm only preventing a contract from being offered if the "main" targetBody is researched.  For multi-body contracts like that one, it's typical to have that set to Kerbin.  I'll have to make a change so that goes deeper.

@JPLRepo - Do you think it makes sense to disable that logic for Contract Configurator contracts?  For right now it implies a bug in Contract Configurator, but in the future there'd need to be exceptions if at any point I start adding more integration (in other words, we don't want it to withdraw a contract that is "Research the Mun" because it's for an unresearched body).  

1 minute ago, nightingale said:

Hmmm...  looks like ResearchBodies and Contract Configurator still disagree in some cases.  The problem is that my check is too simplistic - I'm only preventing a contract from being offered if the "main" targetBody is researched.  For multi-body contracts like that one, it's typical to have that set to Kerbin.  I'll have to make a change so that goes deeper.

I'm getting the RB errors too, but I don't have Research Bodies installed.

However, the fix for RP-0 worked,thanks for that!

Just now, Nightside said:

I'm getting the RB errors too, but I don't have Research Bodies installed.

However, the fix for RP-0 worked,thanks for that!

Two different problems.  The "Couldn't find Assembly for ResearchBodies" error is safe to ignore (the checks are all correct, I just forgot to set a flag to suppress that error).

Is there any way to get back the way things used to work, having the RNG offer contracts? The latest version of this mod made the accessibility of every contract possible sound like a feature, but I rather liked how the game's contract system operated before with the RNG. Is there a way to revert that part of this mod back? Thanks.

I've played the heck out of KSP the past couple days with the patched dll and my Mun relay contract has not reverted to Available. Thanks for all your hard work in squashing this nasty little bug nightingale, I'm going to download 1.16 and start designing my Mun com sats now. :cool:

Edited by WalterB

2 hours ago, charliepryor said:

Is there any way to get back the way things used to work, having the RNG offer contracts? The latest version of this mod made the accessibility of every contract possible sound like a feature, but I rather liked how the game's contract system operated before with the RNG. Is there a way to revert that part of this mod back? Thanks.

Unlikely.  I realize that for some types of contracts the random generation makes more sense, but there's an entire other class (typically the progression based ones) where it just ends up causing player confusion ("I want to do X, how can I get it offered").  I'm certainly open to hearing out options for a middle ground, but I'd have to be something that I can reasonably implement.

4 minutes ago, nightingale said:

Unlikely.  I realize that for some types of contracts the random generation makes more sense, but there's an entire other class (typically the progression based ones) where it just ends up causing player confusion ("I want to do X, how can I get it offered").  I'm certainly open to hearing out options for a middle ground, but I'd have to be something that I can reasonably implement.

The only problem, if I may, with a plan like that is, people like me, who have no idea with what goes into a mod like this really have no idea what can be reasonably vs unreasonably implemented, what can be done easily vs major work, so you're likely to get a lot of requests from people who don't know what reasonable and easy are, and I worry that this will lead to issues on both sides, people getting frustrated by asking you for features they think are reasonable, and you getting frustrated by people asking for complicated unreasonable things, from your point of view. I mentioned in an earlier post about wanting to see the random generation come back for one of my other saves, but I can live without it, as you weren't interested. I'm just concerned you're opening yourself to a lot of headache with this.

5 hours ago, vardicd said:

The only problem, if I may, with a plan like that is, people like me, who have no idea with what goes into a mod like this really have no idea what can be reasonably vs unreasonably implemented, what can be done easily vs major work, so you're likely to get a lot of requests from people who don't know what reasonable and easy are, and I worry that this will lead to issues on both sides, people getting frustrated by asking you for features they think are reasonable, and you getting frustrated by people asking for complicated unreasonable things, from your point of view. I mentioned in an earlier post about wanting to see the random generation come back for one of my other saves, but I can live without it, as you weren't interested. I'm just concerned you're opening yourself to a lot of headache with this.

Good point.  What I really should've said was that I'm interested in hearing reasons why people want it the way it was before (or with more randomization, or whatever).  I can use that info to inform on whether there are any reasonable changes that could be made.

3 hours ago, nightingale said:

Good point.  What I really should've said was that I'm interested in hearing reasons why people want it the way it was before (or with more randomization, or whatever).  I can use that info to inform on whether there are any reasonable changes that could be made.

It would be nice if there was way to use the random generator to tell the difference between stock contracts and contract pack progression contracts, then randomly toss out stock contracts, but always offer the next mission in a progression contract. as an example, I'm not sure if it's a stock or one of my many contract packs, but I have a contract that's always available now, evacuate orbiting space station. It sort of ruins the experience for me that that contract is always there, like wise there is an always available repair faulty such and such module on the orbiting station. Previously when one of those contracts would pop up, if I saw it, I'd take it, because it felt like a story aspect to the game, now its' just always there and I never do those, because.... why?

58 minutes ago, vardicd said:

I'm not sure if it's a stock or one of my many contract packs, but I have a contract that's always available now, evacuate orbiting space station. It sort of ruins the experience for me that that contract is always there, like wise there is an always available repair faulty such and such module on the orbiting station

It's from Bases and Stations. First point: those contracts go away for 10-30 days (depending on the contract) when you complete them, so that's one option.

I'm currently experimenting with randomising the requirements... bear with me on this (but so far, looks good!)

Edit: OK so, so far, this looks good. I may have found the middle ground @nightingale was talking about.

What I've done, is generate random numbers, and then set a requirement to only generate when that number is less/equal to whatever I want (for simplicity, I'm using percentages, so I generate a RN between 1 and 10, and evacuate will only generate if it's less than or equal to 2 (ie 20% chance).

I was worried that the RNG would just roll the dice a million times, until it hit, but it doesn't seem to be.

So maybe that's the middle ground, keep it as it is, and if authors want randomisation, we add it ourselves.

Quick question for you nightingale:

If I set up a DATA node in the Contract_Group and then reference that number in expressions, under REQUIREMENT at Contract_Type level - will they re-roll the random number for each contract, or will they all get the same number?

What I'm asking is: is it better to set up a DATA node in each contract, or at group level?

Edit again: Never mind. Seems that CC doesn't like using a group DATA node for requirements anyway, so will have to be at Contract Level.

Edited by severedsolo

4 hours ago, severedsolo said:

It's from Bases and Stations. First point: those contracts go away for 10-30 days (depending on the contract) when you complete them, so that's one option.

Thanks I wasn't sure which pack that was from or if it was stock or what, it would be cool if mod authors are able to set it up so some of the contracts are still randomly generated, but I think there are still a few stock ones that I'd like to have as random, not always there contract, though again perhaps I'm wrong and I can't for the life of me think of which ones they are, as im not playing right now, and can't check. the evacuate and repair faulty xx module were just the ones freshest in my mind.

And to state again, I'm not complaining about the state of the mod, I can certainly live with it as is, I just would like to see SOME randomization return for some things. Personal preference. :) 

@nightingale actual issue, latest version of Contract configurator [possible culprit] seems to be spamming this in my log? also mentions research bodies? not sure what that is, but I'm noticing a not insignificant performance hit since I upgraded. Not unplayable, just noticeable.

yMeVYRc.jpg

Edited by vardicd