Too many parts - Any Way to save some of them FPS?

What bug is that?

They're not supposed to be 2 Girders, only one. I probably overlooked that.

But in thsi case, your struts appear to only be strutting the module they're attached to, by which i mean they don't stretch across the point where the docking ports meet, so they won't add the stability you need. You get the worst flex between docked ports, rather than within the actual modules of the ship, so you really need to add KAS struts across the docked ports. Attaching them to radial girders will help in some cases, but aren't necessary in others.

That was actually the point of those radial girders. All of them have the KAS struts attached at the top, facing in axial direction towards the next module .I just haven't linked them yet. I will do so before departure when everything is set in place and the angles are properly aligned. Right now I'm focusing on just getting the parts into space.

I also have KAS Struts attached to the adapters of the craft bay, so I can cross-link them. And I have packed enough KAS struts in containers to make a spiderweb from my ship ;)

Even with KAS struts well placed, you will still have to take it pretty easy when you're making your exit burn from Kerbin. KAS struts are not very strong, and break under pressure, and as soon as you start getting oscillations in a long ship like this, it's very hard to stop them. (I usually stop burning, time warp very briefly to kill the wobble, then start burning again, rinse and repeat as soon as the wobble starts to get bad).

That's a good tip. I will try that.

That was actually the point of those radial girders. All of them have the KAS struts attached at the top, facing in axial direction towards the next module .I just haven't linked them yet.

Ah right, sorry.

That's a good tip. I will try that.

It's worth testing it before you make the burn in anger, to see what level of throttle you can get away with without it wobbling too much. This will determine how long before the node you'll need to start, and whether or not you can make the burn in one go or have to split it.

It's worth testing it before you make the burn in anger, to see what level of throttle you can get away with without it wobbling too much. This will determine how long before the node you'll need to start, and whether or not you can make the burn in one go or have to split it.

I planned something like a "test burn": first link everything up, then do 2 burns to get to a higher orbit (120km -> 240 km) and see how the craft behaves.

... It's because writing multithreaded applications is hard, multithreaded physics calculations harder and debugging multithreaded applications using multithreaded physics calculations is the hardest. Remember that you not only have to calculate stuff, but you also have to divide the task into "work packages" for the single threads, sync up the results when they are done, get the timing right, etc... It makes stuff a lot more complicated. ...

Yes, I understand... I used to code, I was a real-time data acquisition systems developer (among other things). The real difficulty you're hinting at, is data sharing between the processes and cross-process communication. I just wanted to know where the current stand-off of the situation was, on KSP's side or Unity's. Thanks for pointing out those threads... heading off to read them now. :)

One more suggestion to make things more tolerable. Instead of sending up modules and just adding them on in sequence, build up two halves (in different orbital locations) then join them. That way in all but your final assembly step you have to deal with less than half the part count.

Mmmhhh... It seems so, i have to do some tests: Editing a *.craft file while flying the craft.
Won't do anything, because when you launch a ship the .craft is basically copied to the persistent.sfs. I don't believe editing the persistent.sfs in flight will have any effect either, since that's only loaded when you load your save.

I second the KJR suggestion.

And to paraphrase the movie Interstellar, part count is a resource that needs to be managed as carefully as fuel. Using fewer larger parts that may not be mass optimal can help you keep your sanity. I remember with some twisted fondness the 14-part landers that were attached to my first big munar space station.

Okay, so I "solved" it by sliding The Max Physics Delta-T all the way down to 0.02 sec.

Now everything is in Slow-Motion, but at least I get 11-13 FPS. That's enough for smooth keyboard and mouse inputs, and almost enough for no-headache.

I also tried the Time Control mod. It is awesome and can get the game to run even smoother (and slower), but thechnically isn't required.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.