[1.10.x] Mark IV Spaceplane System (August 3)

Nertea

Man, Nertea, I didn't realise this was your work too! I don't think I have a single mod that's not by you. Your work is amazing!

Any chance of getting that high-speed cockpit soon? It's the only thing left that'd be needed to make this mod truly amazing!

(Also, would you ever consider getting some interoperability between this and your Near Future mods - eg, Mk. IV hydrogen tanks?)

Sorry if this has been asked already...

I was having trouble attaching to the back of the Mk 4 fuselage piece. Tried to put a tail section part on the rear of it. It looked like it fit into place (had to rotate it to get it oriented right) but after I put it on, it still had the transparent status of a part that isn't attached. Anyone encountered this and/or have a fix?

I was having trouble attaching to the back of the Mk 4 fuselage piece. Tried to put a tail section part on the rear of it. It looked like it fit into place (had to rotate it to get it oriented right) but after I put it on, it still had the transparent status of a part that isn't attached. Anyone encountered this and/or have a fix?

Have you tried altering the camera angle to the parts? Sometimes that helps to make the connection. Also, you might need to drag the parts away from the connection point to get them to click in.

Hey folks, anyone (Nert) know anything about "MarkIVSystem/Parts/RCS/mk4rcsblister-2"? It pops up in my career tech tree but doesnt show up in the part chooser, presumably because of its category assignment of -1. Its also missing a texture, unless it pulls from the same .dds as the other included RCS part. Are these vestigial remnants of an incomplete part?

Hey folks, anyone (Nert) know anything about "MarkIVSystem/Parts/RCS/mk4rcsblister-2"? It pops up in my career tech tree but doesnt show up in the part chooser, presumably because of its category assignment of -1. Its also missing a texture, unless it pulls from the same .dds as the other included RCS part. Are these vestigial remnants of an incomplete part?

I guess I forgot to kill it from the tech tree. It's a not-done part, as it has no texture, though I think it functions.

Hello guys, i need some help.

I want to add CarbonDioxide as an fuel option to MarkIV parts, i've only edited the CRG-60 Mk4 Cargo bay in order to test it and it kind of works, i've managed to make it work by changing "hasGUI = " to "True" but the problem is that the option menu now has duplicated options and what i mean by that is that it has Next part variant and Next Tank Setup here is a screen shot: http://i.imgur.com/hUlsJ0a.jpg

The Next part variant changes both the tank skin and propellant but does not have CarbonDioxide and the Next tank setup only changes the propellant and leaves the tank skin unchanged

Here is what i have edited

MODULE    {
name = InterstellarMeshSwitch
moduleID = 3
objectDisplayNames = Structural;LF;LF/O;MP;LqdCO2
objects = Structure;TankLF;TankLFO;TankRCS;TankLqdCO2
affectColliders = false
useFuelSwitchModule = true
fuelTankSetups = 0; 1; 2; 3; 1
}

MODULE
{
name = InterstellarFuelSwitch
resourceNames = Structural;LiquidFuel;LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;MonoPropellant;CarbonDioxide
resourceAmounts = 0;800;360,440;1000;4416
basePartMass = 2.25
tankMass = 0;0.5728;0.5728;0.6;0.5
tankCost = 0;1376;800;2400; 1376
displayCurrentTankCost = true
hasGUI = True
}

EDIT: It doesn't work, when i launch the vehicle it goes back to the original fuel (if i select LfO using Next part variant and then carbondioxide using Next tank setup when i launch it goes back to LfO or whatever fuel i have selected)

EDIT2: I've added Real fuels mod and now i can add carbon dioxide to mk4 parts so issue fixed

Edited by silviu609

I see this happening with many different Mods, and I have a feeling that it may be a sign of a looming memory shortage. Or it may not. The click sound is different when something does attach, which is another cue. I can't really add anything to what others have said.

That's an enduring problem with numerous parts (batteries spring to mind), not just Mk. IV parts. You just need to fiddle around with mouse and camera view until it's glowing green, then click to attach it.

It's really, really annoying, but it was done to fix some other major problems with craft construction. What those problems were, I can't say.

Nice work Nertea, I was searching for a TB2 style craft just this week and it's amazing how the MK4 system turned out. These parts deserve to be stock. :)

Thoroughly agreed!

I think 2-3 pages back Nertea mentioned something about this concept. Ah yeah - here it is:

(Red bold for emphasis)

So yeah - he's definitely looking into this.

Someone earlier mentioned it would also be nice to have a science lab version of the passenger cabin.

If I may make an original suggestion/question of my own, Nert?

I know you're working on a cargo elevator TB2 style. Is the intent to include a "pod" style arrangement where a cargo container is lowered/raised through a middle "frame"? Or alternately is the intent to make a variation on the existing ventral door cargo bay with a platform/elevator?

With the former, obviously there are problems with something like a cargo section being a separate piece. I don't think KSP would handle that very well. You can't just "swap out" pods like the original TB2 could and not have some significant stability/wobble issues. At least not in that exact fashion.

So I expect the "pod" will either be a permanent part of the module/part, or you'll be working with something more along the lines of the latter moving platform idea. (which has been done before with a few mods - Wayland's Devo once had a large shuttle mod with such a design, but that was about 4-5 versions of KSP back and it had some other unrelated issues that made it impractical to work with.)

In either case - I'm wondering if a "cargo pod" could be developed that would fit with the existing model - something with perhaps an integral pair of docking ports opposite each other so they can be secured even without the use of something like KAS/KIS? My experience with the Wayland Eagle tells me that it's better to have close-fitting sets of opposing docking ports/CBMs for flight stability. I don't think it matters whether they are a fore/aft config or a port/starboard config. But any "pod" that is a separate piece that docks with a larger craft to become an integral unit MUST have an opposing docking port arrangement for stability. Otherwise you have to secure it with KAS or something (like I did with the rover above in my earlier post).

Maybe even have an integral set of "rollers" or wheels integrated like a rover so that it can be manipulated or rolled into place by other rovers? Or maybe even make an optional pod that can configure like a KIS container that can fit larger volume stuff inside and can be placed aboard?

The intent with my ideas above is to provide a suggestion for a cargo pod/container that is NOT dependent on a particular cargo bay/part arrangement. In other words, it could work as both a "roll-on/roll-off" container for a regular aft ramp load in the field or be able to work with the vertical arrangement of a TB2 style ventral/dorsal cargo section.

I'm considering putting something together using existing parts/mods to better illustrate the above concept. But I hope you get the basic idea of what I'm talking about.

Don't mind me - I'm just "brain-storming" with the full knowledge that I may well be "over-thinking" this. :D

There is a mod called Hangar, different from the VAB/SPB size mod Hanger?, which allows prebuilt mod part to contain a physical interior, and within a certain limits of the interior they got the capacity to "store" a vehicle, mostly about lowering part count to increase performance elsewhere, which maybe usefull with this mod as it maybe allows preloading a specific POD.

The way i see it, and yes i am a noob when comes to actual modding, make a inline part of "thunderbird2" cargo bay, but without a POD, configure it into a hangar mod part and use the POD as a vessel to be stored?

btw i already msg the author about this, but i am terrible at conveying stuff to others IRL so maybe somebody can rephrased it or can add a new hanger like i just mentioned

EDIT: The mod is called Hangar, and its at v.2.3.2 Beta for ksp 1.0.2 and made by allista

Edited by Pretender6
new info

This, along with many things, should be stock.

I'm not sure if this is where I should put bug reports, but attempting to grab onto a Mk4 medium fuselage with a grabbing arm seemingly disconnects the camera from the craft, and going into map view causes the game to stop responding. The fuselage had Lf+Ox in it.

Also, is there any chance at all that we'll get a dropping cargo bay like this one? url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRxqFQoTCL-u4e6rgsgCFcOglAodCYMB7g&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.davidsissonmodels.co.uk%2FThunderbird2.htm&psig=AFQjCNHWOM0kQVmN_dimT0aKdA_PeIaQjw&ust=1442726122561354

I wholeheartedly agree with the fact that MKIV should be on the suggested-stock list for 1.1. It's got a lot of parts that support big spaceplanes very well (I always found the small jets to be underpowered even for large MK3 craft) and looks like a sensible step up from the Mk3 "Airliner" type of planes.

Also, the sound set is just.... sweet. ;)

Any chance you can throw in some extra wing and landing gear parts? A big, high-slung wing with a huge landing gear would go very well with the MKIV fuselage as it is now, bearing a resemblance to the Antonov 225.

I wholeheartedly agree with the fact that MKIV should be on the suggested-stock list for 1.1. It's got a lot of parts that support big spaceplanes very well (I always found the small jets to be underpowered even for large MK3 craft) and looks like a sensible step up from the Mk3 "Airliner" type of planes.

Also, the sound set is just.... sweet. ;)

Any chance you can throw in some extra wing and landing gear parts? A big, high-slung wing with a huge landing gear would go very well with the MKIV fuselage as it is now, bearing a resemblance to the Antonov 225.

I have to second all of this! I'm currently using my mk IV to lift parts for my new space station and it works wonderfully! Bigger wings would allow me to clean up the design and maybe make it a bit more stable on reentry. The kerbals seem to really love flying it, they always have huge grins on their faces!

• 2 weeks later...

So for the next update, I've gradually been reclaiming my free time so started modeling a bunch of this.

First off, a new multimodal engine based on an actual SABRE, the CUTLASS. It will perform a little better in space than the BROADSWORD but will lose out on atmospheric power.

cutlass.png

All ingame and with FX already :).

cutlassFX.png

Along with the new engine, some spaceplane grey 2.5m fuel tanks which are useful for engine nacelles and... such. Available in LF, LFO and empty.

tanks-25m.png

Oh, and another new engine (this guy is as yet untextured) - the Horsefly, a louder, larger and more potent version of the Yellowjacket.

horsefly.png

We've also got some new interesting parts coming - large 2.5m propellers. First, a turboprop.

turboprop-25.png

Then a propfan (basic texture only).

propfan-25.png

Along with this - an electrically driven 7.5m lift fan. Should be fun.

uhlf.png

Evidently I deviated from my plans, but hey, that's life. Also in the works are a smaller electric lift fan, a bulkhead-style mk4 fuselage piece and the most difficult part, the hypersonic cockpit.

What an update. Glad you're choosing to spend your limited free time on this, I'm always excited to see what you come up with.

Do you have any plans for 1.25m props?

I do not. However the shafts of those propellers will work ok on 1.25m mounts, so maybe :P.

Jeebus. When you start modeling, you're on fire! :0.0:

Well, it's taken me 2 weeks to compile these ;). Still though, low poly modeling is fast, it's the texture work that always goes slow for me.

Great looking additional pieces, any chance of a larger wing in the style of the Big S? Currently, I have to use two in order to lift my 500t mkIV off the runway - but it does rotate before the end!

I'll consider it, but don't hold your breath :(.

So for the next update, I've gradually been reclaiming my free time so started modeling a bunch of this.

Oh, and another new engine (this guy is as yet untextured) - the Horsefly, a louder, larger and more potent version of the Yellowjacket.

Can you tweak the Horsefly/Yellowjacket engines so they have faster spool times than the standard jets?

Right now, when you use Throttle Controlled Avionics, they're way too sluggish to use as VTOL lifting jets.

+1 for some new types of wings, BTW. The FAT main wing is sufficient to get most MK4's in the air, but I'm not a fan of it and I'd like to have some more... cosmetic options. ;)