[1.10.x] Mark IV Spaceplane System (August 3)

Nertea

On 07.12.2015 at 11:51 PM, Captain Sierra said:

This is a result of parts not colliding with other parts of the same vessel. WHen docked, the two become the same vessel and thus the rover stops colliding with the bay floor. I suggest using winches to lock it down (which does not count as docking) or using them, IR, or some other mechanism to wrangle the rover into the desired position/orientation and then strut it down via KAS struts.

Be advised that while the high bypass intake, extended nacelle, and dudley may visually replicate the goliath, I do not guarantee they function similarly. I suspect some rebalancing may be required there.

thanks.

14 hours ago, Captain Sierra said:

I cant say I can report the issue on my end. Are you sure you're version is 100% up to date?

I use last version of Mark IV Spaceplane System v 2.0.0

Spoiler

KSP v 1.0.5

mod list

1.module manager 2.6.13

2.TextureReplacer

3.TweakScale

4 Community Resource Pack

Others mods

Edited by zvergk

2 hours ago, zvergk said:

I use last version of Mark IV Spaceplane System v 2.0.0

Reveal hidden contents

KSP v 1.0.5

mod list

1.module manager 2.6.13

2.TextureReplacer

3.TweakScale

4 Community Resource Pack

Others mods

They work fine for me. It does look like you're actually using surface attachment, rather than the nodes, which would explain this. Try holding down 'Alt' when placing parts on the end.

Ok, besides the Cutlass and 2.5m LF tanks, here's what's coming in (hopefully tomorrow)'s update:

Hypersonic cockpit. Oft-requested. Contains docking port, 3 crew seats and 4 passenger seats. The cockpit internals are the thing that might hold up the update a bit. 

fastcockpit.png

AP-400 'Buzzsaw' Turboprop. Previously shown but re-specced and remodeled to 1.25m, because it was just stupid. Blade diameter is ~4.5m.

turboprop.png

Kerboshov D-27 Propfan. Also previously shown, but re-specced to 1.25m, because it was also ridiculously large. Blade diameter is still ~4.0m so it's plenty big.

propfan.png

I really wasn't a fan of my 2.5m turbojet either, so I've redone it as a Concorde Olympus 593. Has thrust reversers and a relatively wide performance envelope, pushed a bit towards efficient medium altitude flight.

arcadia593.png

To complement it, there's a new 2.5m engine, based on the unflown GE-4. Specced to function similarly to the stock turboramjet. This is the other thing that might hold up the update, it's modeled but texturing is taking a while. 

ge-4.png

In addition, there are some bugfixes and minor changes. If you had any other issues than these with 2.0, please let me know.

• Increased occlusion detection radius for all cargo bays
  • Adjusted intake effectiveness to match 1.05 intakes
  • Converted cargo ramp to use stock module (deprecated old one)
  • All cargo bays can now use the tweakable opening module
  • Killed some WIP parts from appearing in the tech tree

The larger VTOL and heavy lift fan won't be making it, the former because I hate it and need to redo it and the latter because it isn't time yet. It needs to come with the smaller versions too ;). 

Looks cool! Though is the docking port is built-in to the cockpit part, or a separate part that fits into the cockpit? If it's all one part, it might make things tricky with targeting the docking port for alignment indicator, or using 'control from here' to translate with RCS for docking. (or maybe it all just works even as one part, I'm not familiar with the internal workings at all lol)

The two new engines look like they'll take advantage of the new engine nozzle animation capabilities nicely.

and OOOOOOHHH THAT COCKPIT!!!!!!! I think my pants require changing now ....

EDIT: two notes.

Increased occlusion detection radius for all cargo bays

This was, IIRC, an issue with the cargo tail occluding wings mounted on it that shouldn't be occluded. This particular part is not getting its occlusion radius increased correct?

Adjusted intake effectiveness to match 1.05 intakes

Remember when the nacelle intakes got occluded by intakes on the front and I reported that as a bug because stock didnt emulate that behavior? Yeah that was an error as in 1.0.5, stock addressed this behavior so evidently it was a stock bug that I unknowingly treated as intended behavior. TL;DR you were right the first time to have that occlusion checking on the intake module and should put it back.

Edited by Captain Sierra

13 hours ago, Captain Sierra said:

This was, IIRC, an issue with the cargo tail occluding wings mounted on it that shouldn't be occluded. This particular part is not getting its occlusion radius increased correct?

Has nothing to do with the occlusion radius, unfortunately. 

15 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@NerteaCan you mark Kerbalstuff that this is 1.0.5 compatible, so that CKAN can use it?

Once this is done, I'm going to be making a MK 4 Science lab for it, with my BetterScienceLabsContinued mod

Thanks

It's not though. It has a couple of bugs in 1.05 and a number of off-balance, broken things.

13 hours ago, Rodger said:

Looks cool! Though is the docking port is built-in to the cockpit part, or a separate part that fits into the cockpit? If it's all one part, it might make things tricky with targeting the docking port for alignment indicator, or using 'control from here' to translate with RCS for docking. (or maybe it all just works even as one part, I'm not familiar with the internal workings at all lol)

It just means that there are two control from here buttons. Can't really do better than that.

20 hours ago, Nertea said:

It's not though. It has a couple of bugs in 1.05 and a number of off-balance, broken things.

It just means that there are two control from here buttons. Can't really do better than that.

What sort of bugs?

What's off-balance?

What's broken?

And what can be done to fix it, could you use some help?

Some of the parts don't perform in accordance with stock paradigms and such. I don't want to slap a label on as a result.

And evidently the NFE bug used up almost all of my time yesterday.The Valkyrie jet is done, but the IVA only got blocked out. I did manage to work on balance a bit. I balanced the props about against KAX, which seemed about right.

New cockpit looks great, and I support resizing the turboprops, after all if you needed that much thrust you can always use multiple. 

I can't speak for everyone else, but I would be fine with nonfunctional or placeholder IVA's if it meant an interim release given how much work those are. I guess it depends how many "IVA is all white nert pls fix" posts you can tolerate. :D

How does the thrust reverser work from a Unity perspective? The only way I can think of would be to use two thrust transforms and rotate them in opposite directions to avoid asymmetrical thrust during the animation.

1 hour ago, Starbuckminsterfullerton said:

New cockpit looks great, and I support resizing the turboprops, after all if you needed that much thrust you can always use multiple. 

I can't speak for everyone else, but I would be fine with nonfunctional or placeholder IVA's if it meant an interim release given how much work those are. I guess it depends how many "IVA is all white nert pls fix" posts you can tolerate. :D

How does the thrust reverser work from a Unity perspective? The only way I can think of would be to use two thrust transforms and rotate them in opposite directions to avoid asymmetrical thrust during the animation.

I second the interim release. i can do without the IVA just to get the sleek part.

In regards to thrust reversing, I believe the stock code simply applies a negative thrust from the same thrust transform and the effect is instant. While this is far from realistic for how Nert's engine is animated, its not worth trying to replicate true-to-life function when the stock approximation is 'good enough'.

2.1.0 update:

•  KSP 1.05
  •  Added MiniAVC versioning
  •  Converted cargo ramp to use stock module (deprecated old one)
  •  All jet engines now use the correct 1.05 fuel flow mode
  •  All cargo bays can now use the tweakable opening module
  •  All engines now use the delayed animation module for heat animations
  •  Adjusted intake effectiveness to match 1.05 intakes
  •  Respecced and remodeled Arcadia turbojet as a medium-performance jet with thrust reversers
  •  Added Mk4 Vulture cockpit - pointy cockpit with integrated docking port
  •  Added CUTLASS: 2.5m high-efficiency RAPIER-style engine
  •  Added Valkyrie turboramjet: high performance high altitude 2.5m engine 
  •  Added Kerboshov D27 Propfan engine (efficient heavy propeller engine)
  •  Added APR-4000 Buzzsaw Turboprop engine (powerful heavy propeller engine)
  •  Added 3 lengths of basic 2.5m liquid fuel tanks (LF, LF/O, structural)
  •  Increased occlusion detection radius for all cargo bays
  •  Fixed facing of SCIMITAR's rear attach node
  •  Fixed RCS blister's surface attach node
  •  Reduced the spooling time on the Yellowjacket engine

Probably a few bugs, but hopefully mostly good. New engines might need some balance tweaking too. 

(KS is being slow, give it a few minutes)

7 minutes ago, Nertea said:

2.1.0 update:

•  KSP 1.05
  •  Added MiniAVC versioning
  •  Converted cargo ramp to use stock module (deprecated old one)
  •  All cargo bays can now use the tweakable opening module
  •  All engines now use the delayed animation module for heat animations
  •  Adjusted intake effectiveness to match 1.05 intakes
  •  Respecced and remodeled Arcadia turbojet as a medium-performance jet with thrust reversers
  •  Added Mk4 Vulture cockpit - pointy cockpit with integrated docking port
  •  Added CUTLASS: 2.5m high-efficiency RAPIER-style engine
  •  Added Valkyrie turboramjet: high performance high altitude 2.5m engine 
  •  Added Kerboshov D27 Propfan engine (efficient heavy propeller engine)
  •  Added APR-4000 Buzzsaw Turboprop engine (powerful heavy propeller engine)
  •  Added 3 lengths of basic 2.5m liquid fuel tanks (LF, LF/O, structural)
  •  Increased occlusion detection radius for all cargo bays
  •  Fixed facing of SCIMITAR's rear attach node
  •  Fixed RCS blister's surface attach node
  •  Reduced the spooling time on the Yellowjacket engine

Probably a few bugs, but hopefully mostly good. New engines might need some balance tweaking too. 

(KS is being slow, give it a few minutes)

Awesome update can't wait to try these new parts out. Good work!

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

2.1.0 update:

•  KSP 1.05

Nice update, not everyone gets around to doing compatibility and adding new features. What changed with the fuel flow mode, is there a new standard?

And I like the yellowjacket lag decrease, really helps for vertical applications. 

2 hours ago, Starbuckminsterfullerton said:

What changed with the fuel flow mode, is there a new standard?

Jet engines can pull from all parts evenly but now respect no-crossfeed parts. This was something that was an artifact of using monopropellant flow rules on them in 1.0.4 and myself and others fought tooth and nail to have the lack of respect for crossfeed recognized as a bug. In the end we evidently succeeded.

@Nertea TY very much!  And lol at album pic 4. I think that one quite nicely summarizes why we regularly ask for larger wing parts.

EDIT: Am I the only one who thinks the CUTLASS just screams Interstellar? I'm getting that kind of vibe strongly off it.
EDIT 2: It appears the deploy limits on the cargo bays is backwards. Very minor issue that warrants nothing more than an afterthought until next update. Just a quick FYI.

EDIT 3: A more significant reporting of functionality as I got an SSTO run in. Efficiency of scale translates to SSTO spaceplanes better than it should because it was too damn easy. Now onto the issues I noticed.
Vulture Hypersonic Cockpit: Both Control From Here buttons switch it to the docking port's orientation. Neither one reverts it to its default. Will dig into .cfg to investigate potential fixes.
BROADSWORD: Not an issue that you can necessarily fix, likely a deficiency in the animation plugin you use as a dependency. The bypass doors do not animate to correctly reflect the mode if the mode is switched while the engine is off. It did not seem to update when the engine was reactivated.
All Parts: Max temps are way too low across the board. I nearly blew up on a standard reentry (15km periaps, 100km starting orbit) at 60% reentry heating. Note that increasing max temps is more of a stopgap measure to fix the fact that vanilla reentry is handled in a terrible way that means with a heat shield it is trivial but without one (read: all spaceplanes ever) it is beyond merciless.

Edited by Captain Sierra

FYI The BDAnimationsModule.dll supplied with the mod is significantly outdated (v5.x; current version is v6.2). I didn't realize it and it was wreaking havoc with test plane I made beforehand.

I normally install overlapping mods by telling my system to overwrite all older files, but the timestamp on this DLL was is Sept (the latest 6.2 version is dated from mid-May). Inadvertently overwrote the plugin. (I actually wasn't paying attention and didn't even notice the BahaSP folder.

Just a heads up just in case anyone else uses other BD mods that use his animations (like the landing gears).

Nertea, hopefully you'll update (or correct?) that dependency-distro on your next release, whenever that is. (It's a pseudo-minor thing, so not urgent, maybe... Though it did technically "break" my designs.)