[1.10.x] Mark IV Spaceplane System (August 3)

Nertea

9 hours ago, PocketBrotector said:

The 2.5m aviation tanks have a cryogenic LH2/O option, which is nice. They do however obviate the CryoTanks foil tanks, as they have the same stats except for being way cheaper and having a much higher impact tolerance.

Reveal hidden contents

OYHJ0kt.png

Probably a good way to balance this is to remove the cooling option from the Aviation tanks, or increase the costs.

On 03/04/2017 at 10:57 PM, Nertea said:

So an issue I had before with wide cargo definition areas was that engines mounted on the shoulder nodes were occluded. How is that working with your values?

Thanks for the donation, I alway really appreciate that.

You're going to have to help me more with the last one because I've had this on my git: https://github.com/ChrisAdderley/MkIVSystem/issues/15 forever and can't reproduce it effectively. Craft pictures, reliable steps to reproduce, mod lists, etc. 

Hi, sorry about the wait!

I have done my best to make a bug report, here it is:

I might try making another craft without any mods other than MK 4 if that helps?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vof5tlllsto98n1/AAD8atebioSl6grCuI-h5uLSa?dl=0

2 hours ago, Elethiomell said:

Hi, sorry about the wait!

I have done my best to make a bug report, here it is:

Thanks, will help when looking into this.

2 hours ago, Elethiomell said:

I might try making another craft without any mods other than MK 4 if that helps?

That would be very helpful :).

On 4/4/2017 at 6:26 PM, PocketBrotector said:

The 2.5m aviation tanks have a cryogenic LH2/O option, which is nice. They do however obviate the CryoTanks foil tanks, as they have the same stats except for being way cheaper and having a much higher impact tolerance.

That's a good find. Should be fixed in the whole rebalance thing, but I'll make sure to look into it!

On 4/3/2017 at 5:41 PM, Arcane Intervention said:

Sorry, but may i ask what software you used to create the models and textures?

3DS Max and Photoshop

22 hours ago, Nertea said:

That would be very helpful :).

Hi, new ship with only MK4 and stock parts

Same issue, same steps to reproduce, get in to an 80km stable orbit (fly 10 degrees pg till 80km, circularise etc), drop periapsis to 50k, 
keep nose up 35 - 50 degrees on reentry (this ship is much easier to control and very stable so should be no problem)

Seems like the plot thickens a little, the issue appears to be an interaction between the service bay and the drone core being next to each other, 
I built 5 versions of the ship in slightly different configurations:

1) Drone core behind cockpit, no service bay: Ship is fine, no issues
2) Cockpit, drone core, service bay: Cockpit overheats a little on assent, overheats and explodes on reentry.
3) Cockpit, service bay, drone core: Cockpit overheats to almost destruction on reentry (I may have just been lucky with my profile or maybe there is slightly less 
overheating this way round)
4) Cockpit, drone core, fuel tank, service bay: Ship is fine, no overheating
5) Cockpit, service bay no drone core: Ship is fine.

So the issue appears to be when the drone core and service bay are next to each other in the stack, I have not tried putting them elsewhere in the stack together as frankly I have 
work tomorrow and didn't have time! That said I doubt it would show anything as it is the front of the craft that gets hottest on reentry.

As far as I recall form an old design the same thing happens with the thunderhawk cockpit too, for ages I thought I just sucked at reentry!

Thanks again for all your great work :-) :-)

Link to craft files and pics :    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/thdtra3228pc789/AADtZMaBiFOvibPiGdxczPcPa?dl=0

Oh and as the fix is so blatantly obvious without any modification from you (don't put the drone core and service bay next to each other!) I guess you can leave this one, just put a note in the readme or something. That said I had a look at the issue on your github and that guy just had a service bay so maybe there is something else going on? that was a long time ago though...

I looked into this a bit today and didn't find anything obvious. My best guess is that the cross sectional area of these parts must not be handled correctly so there is not enough conduction between the cockpit part and other parts on the ship - like the service bay and drone core are both insulators somehow, each of them is not quite enough alone but with both of them together there is enough insulation to isolate the cockpit. Not easy to debug, that's for sure. 

The thing is that the only more obscure thing than the aero system in ksp is the thermal conduction/convection transfer system :|.

Edited by Nertea

6 minutes ago, Nertea said:

I looked into this a bit today and didn't find anything obvious. My best guess is that the cross sectional area of these parts must not be handled correctly so there is not enough conduction between the cockpit part and other parts on the ship - like the service bay and drone core are both insulators somehow, each of them is not quite enough alone but with both of them together there is enough insulation to isolate the cockpit. Not easy to debug, that's for sure. 

The thing is that the only more obscure thing than the aero system in ksp is the thermal conduction/convection transfer system :|.

No worries, easy work around anyway :-)

This might sound like a dumb question, but how do I get Raster Prop Monitor to work with these pods? In the Imgur album, it shows Prop Monitor working, and I installed the MkIV parts and Prop Monitor correctly. RPM works on all other pods. These parts are awesome BTW.

On 04/11/2017 at 5:52 PM, Nertea said:

I just built my first (working and actually flyable....mostly) SSTO with this pack.  No exploding and I had all of the conflict parts on it.  When I get home later tonight I'll see about getting some screen shots and the craft file uploaded.

1 hour ago, Thunder Shaft said:

This might sound like a dumb question, but how do I get Raster Prop Monitor to work with these pods? In the Imgur album, it shows Prop Monitor working, and I installed the MkIV parts and Prop Monitor correctly. RPM works on all other pods. These parts are awesome BTW.

It was deprecated but will come back eventually.

12 minutes ago, Saberdo said:

hi fellow kerbonauts. i have a simple question. how can i get raster prop monitor for the mark iv system? i have both installed, i have just the stock-interior. it would be nice if i could get some help. thx..

Pretty sure that support was removed for the time being since Nertea hates IVA's (If I recall correctly).

17 minutes ago, Saberdo said:

hi fellow kerbonauts. i have a simple question. how can i get raster prop monitor for the mark iv system? i have both installed, i have just the stock-interior. it would be nice if i could get some help. thx..

Like... literally two posts above yours. 

6 minutes ago, Saberdo said:

is there anything i can do to get rpm into the mark iv? 

On 4/18/2017 at 0:26 PM, Thunder Shaft said:

On 4/18/2017 at 1:32 PM, Nertea said:

It was deprecated but will come back eventually.

Here it is for others as well.

Edited by HoveringKiller

Love this mod! A few questions/Ideas:

Can you make  this compatible with TweakScale?

Would it be possible to make an extra wide Mark IVb "heavy" dorsal bay? Bisected part, has adapter at the "front" to conform to the original Mk 4.

Would love to see a 5m long/short adapter. Is that doable?

Also would love to see an inline cockpit that has a 3.5m attach for this nose.

Ok, seriously? This kind of crap ruins my morning. 

I am going to save this page as a glorious example of the failure of our education systems to produce people with basic thinking and reading comprehension skills. There are three instances of this question on the same page. 

This isn't that hard. Scroll up. Look around. Read a page back even. I don't understand how it's more difficult to do a wee bit of research rather than bothering me and waiting for an answer THAT I JUST POSTED.