[1.10.x] Mark IV Spaceplane System (August 3)

Nertea

2 hours ago, Lunar Sea said:

I checked it with the reduced fuel load, and keep it at 10° during descent. Looks like pretty standard aeros so I'm not sure what's up...

uNwKoZd.pngcKeRwyI.png

It's hard to tell for sure from the 2nd pic, but are you certain that the vertical stabilizers are properly aligned front-to-back? It looks like they may be angling in a bit towards their rear, which could be producing just enough drag that, combined with the CoG being so close to the CoL, causes the nose to pitch up.

Also, try dropping the canards as suggested. In-game they produce lift I believe. AFAIK, in real-life, this is rarely the case.

14 hours ago, Lunar Sea said:

I checked it with the reduced fuel load, and keep it at 10° during descent. Looks like pretty standard aeros so I'm not sure what's up...

uNwKoZd.pngcKeRwyI.png

I think you don't have enough lift. KSP's aerodynamic: more lift = more stability.

9 hours ago, RandomKerbal said:

I think you don't have enough lift. KSP's aerodynamic: more lift = more stability.

Quite possibly the issue, I might have to get tweakscale now to resize some wings since I don't particularly want have to snap dozens of structural wing parts together. 

Or just go for Opt (Legacy/Reconfig/Main). They have large out of the box wings, which are great for lift and big crafts. I don't like to add many 'tiny' wing parts either. If you don't like the rest of the parts, just keep the wings.

Also, I find RCS Build Aid quite helpful when designing airplanes because it has the option to display the DCoM, the Dry Center of Mass. That way, I don't have to empty all tanks and then fill 'em again. I more than once forgot to refill a tank... -.-'  Just a friendly advice from a fellow plane enthusiast. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Love this, yet I have a problem with the cockpits. They are very large but not very heavy. Since the engines are located in the back most of the times, it makes it very difficult to make a proper weight balance without clipping.

I understand that the cockpit must be big to have a proper aerodynamic form, but maybe it can be smaller on the inside? I propose to combine the cockpit with the service bay: carve some space from inside it to be able to place something heavy in there without clipping. Just like you already did for the crew compartment.

Edited by Morse

On 10/6/2020 at 10:08 PM, sturmhauke said:

Yeah that's weird, I dunno. Maybe your canards are angled upwards and/or have the deflection set wrong. For reference, here is a shuttle I made a while back that is slightly longer and heavier than yours.

I play with FAR, so this may not help with stock aero, but that looks far more convincing to me than those stubby little wings and tiny control surfaces. The other craft just looks very short of control authority.

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, eberkain said:

i understand it may be annoying but no one else has asked yet if someone has already asked then i shouldn't have posted this yet, no one else has asked. i have also seen this thread and have seen the rule against asking modders for updates but this rule is now obsolete (not in use)

Edited by lorange7

11 minutes ago, lorange7 said:

but this rule is now obsolete (not in use)

The rule is very much not obsolete.  It still applies.

Note though that it is not against the rules to request modders to update, it's against the rules to bully or harass them about it.

1 minute ago, Geonovast said:

The rule is very much not obsolete.  It still applies.

Note though that it is not against the rules to request modders to update, it's against the rules to bully or harass them about it.

yes that is what is ment as there was a rule saying you cannot ask them but is now obsolete

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

But it looks so... dated :(.

Mk4 is similar to Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis for me.  It looks like how I remember it looking when it first came out as opposed to how it actually looks compared to things released today. 

On 1/11/2021 at 8:18 PM, Nertea said:

But it looks so... dated :(.

There's a fix for that.... ;)

I use it all the time as well, I like the look of it. Out of all the spaceplane mods that let you carry 3.75m payloads, it is far and away the best looking.

JGvlbd3h.png