[1.10.x] Mark IV Spaceplane System (August 3)

Nertea

49 minutes ago, PenguinMafiaDon said:

Don't change that, I love the Thunderbirds look ;-)

Likewise.

"Dated" doesn't necessarily mean "no longer cool". It can also mean "classic", and the Thunderbirds/Mark IV look is most definitely a classic. One doesn't mess with perfection.

On 1/17/2021 at 12:10 PM, Nertea said:

Oh, it's not about the design, it's about the technical execution. Ie the art itself.

The art is great like everything else you make! The IVA is great, the Exterior is great, everything is great!

Spoiler

What does need a revamp is Near Future Electrical. Also throw Kerbal Atomics in there too.

• 1 month later...

Caution for using mk4 cargo bays.

1. They have to be sealed with mk4 fuel fuselage from both ends.

Different from stock mk2 & mk3 parts. Mk4 has more kinds of  "open space inside" parts such as crew cabin, service bay and even the drone core. Some one might by happy seeing kerbals in EVA walk all through these parts and consider these parts as sealed space like cargo bays.

They actually are not.

If you connect a for example crew cabin to one end of a cargo bay. the cargo bay will not be considered sealed even it's closed during flight, and anything inside will produce drag.

2. The mk4 tail cargo piece cannot seal anything inside. Any stuff inside will cause drag. and it produce the same problem like above when connected to cargo bays.

Edited by cinemagic

On 3/3/2021 at 1:12 PM, cinemagic said:

If you connect a for example crew cabin to one end of a cargo bay. the cargo bay will not be considered sealed even it's closed during flight, and anything inside will produce drag.

2. The mk4 tail cargo piece cannot seal anything inside. Any stuff inside will cause drag. and it produce the same problem like above when connected to cargo bays.

Oh, is this true? I never notice that. I only pay attention to the aesthetic of my ship everytime I build one.

• 1 month later...

The crew cabin and the cargo tail are indeed buggy, they don't shield anything, and it breaks any cargo bays connected to them too. However, if you put a drone core or service bay between the buggy part and the rest of your cargo bay, everything will be shielded!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been answered by people earlier in the thread already, but is there a patch for this that adds the ability to store LH2, LH2/Ox, and LH2/Ox/MP the way you can store liquid fuel in the Mk IV fuselages? Because I'd love to use this with the Near Future Aeronautics nuclear engines, but those need LH2 (at least with my mod set-up, and I don't want to change it because LH2 just makes sense).

On 5/23/2021 at 8:06 AM, Fox62 said:

Not sure if this has been answered by people earlier in the thread already, but is there a patch for this that adds the ability to store LH2, LH2/Ox, and LH2/Ox/MP the way you can store liquid fuel in the Mk IV fuselages? Because I'd love to use this with the Near Future Aeronautics nuclear engines, but those need LH2 (at least with my mod set-up, and I don't want to change it because LH2 just makes sense).

Unless something broke it a lot, installing Cryo Tanks should just make this happen already. 

• 2 months later...
14 minutes ago, Navyjoker2000 said:

Awesome! I will definitely try it out then! 

most part mods from any version of KSP will work fine in 1.12 .... Mk4 has a few functional bits like the fan engines, but those seem to also work.  Really the only incompatibilites I've found on older parts mods (ie, B9 specifically) is that some of their animations stopped working around KSP 1.11 - in most cases, this doesn't break any actual functionality though so it's still usable.  I personally use Mk4 parts quite a bit though, and they do not have any animation or other problems with them in 1.12.

2 hours ago, ss8913 said:

most part mods from any version of KSP will work fine in 1.12 .... Mk4 has a few functional bits like the fan engines, but those seem to also work.  Really the only incompatibilites I've found on older parts mods (ie, B9 specifically) is that some of their animations stopped working around KSP 1.11 - in most cases, this doesn't break any actual functionality though so it's still usable.  I personally use Mk4 parts quite a bit though, and they do not have any animation or other problems with them in 1.12.

Thank you for the insight.  I am looking forward to trying it. I have tried other part mods like MK2 and MK3 expanded mods and a lot of the textures are not working. The engines are all white and the docking ports are all white. Didn’t know if it was the case with this one as well. But apparently not! That’s great!

14 minutes ago, Navyjoker2000 said:

Thank you for the insight.  I am looking forward to trying it. I have tried other part mods like MK2 and MK3 expanded mods and a lot of the textures are not working. The engines are all white and the docking ports are all white. Didn’t know if it was the case with this one as well. But apparently not! That’s great!

Unlike the Mk2 and Mk3 Expansions, this doesn't rely on stock textures. (the two other mods used some older stock textures that were removed in 1.12)

24 minutes ago, Navyjoker2000 said:

despite those missing textures, those parts still work; I also use them.  I'm betting that if one were to roll back to an older KSP on steam and snarf out the texture files from the install, then go back to your regular install, you could drop them into the appropriate folder to put them back... but despite the missing textures, they still function as before :)

1 hour ago, ss8913 said:

despite those missing textures, those parts still work; I also use them.  I'm betting that if one were to roll back to an older KSP on steam and snarf out the texture files from the install, then go back to your regular install, you could drop them into the appropriate folder to put them back... but despite the missing textures, they still function as before :)

I will have to figure out how to do that on steam. Not sure how to roll back but keep all my save files, settings, etc. and what textures would I look for? I really like the MK2 and MK3 expanded. So I will give your tip a try. I guess that would be a question for there thread in what textures I need to look for. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Is this mod still maintained? Last update in the OP was for 1.10.  Something seems odd with the drag upon usage with cockpit and cargobays. Maybe I'll take some time to investigate and write a more detailed bug report. Maybe (atm. not on priority list :P)