[1.10.x] Mark IV Spaceplane System (August 3)

Nertea

3 minutes ago, Bdyer said:

basically it allows you to place a special wing part and the use ing 3 keys adjust the wing to whatever size you want so you can get massive 1 part wings

Downloaded (though I'm at work, so I can't install until tonight). Do I still need to add control surfaces myself?

Thanks

Beautiful mod this. I hope to be able to recreate that Thunderbird ship I saw a few years ago.

One issue though is that the RasterPropMonitor displays are not appearing in the IVA views. I'm using KSP 1.2, and RPM appears in my other installed mods (e.g., ALCOR). 

Is there anything I have to do for this mod to active RPM in IVA?

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

There are no RPM configurations anymore for this. They needed a lot of maintenance and I'm strapped for time. 

I understand and I'm not trying to rush you in the slightest. I appreciate the work you do on this mod and the quality of the your parts and IVA cockpits and I understand that takes time.

Out of curiosity, were the RPM configurations removed or not included due to the change in the font color name convention in RPM when it moved to 1.2? The ALCOR pod by Alexustas had that problem but a temporary fix was found using a particular Regex search and replace string to fix the hundreds of font color references.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2016 at 0:16 PM, Movado said:

I understand and I'm not trying to rush you in the slightest. I appreciate the work you do on this mod and the quality of the your parts and IVA cockpits and I understand that takes time.

Out of curiosity, were the RPM configurations removed or not included due to the change in the font color name convention in RPM when it moved to 1.2? The ALCOR pod by Alexustas had that problem but a temporary fix was found using a particular Regex search and replace string to fix the hundreds of font color references.

I just don't have enough time to maintain them at the moment. 

On 11/4/2016 at 5:58 PM, Mattheus said:

Hi!

I have some issue with transfering science from  Mk4 Vulture cockpit with with stock game science transfer - can't get it from both doors ladders with kerbal scientist.

Craft:

Full album: http://imgur.com/gallery/4GXrs

Otherwise I love Mk4 and have it always included with game.

Is it just a range issue or can you not get it at all?

When my kerbal is on ladder on Vulture doors - he cannot take science data from cockpit or put gathered data in there. So I can't manage science - to put some science in there and other copies for example to other command module or science container to get multiple copies. Science moves to cockpit only when kerbal boards from door and copies of data are deleted then. Only "Set as target", "Open Docking" and "Lights Off " are available commands in right click menu on door. I dont know if its range or other issue - but from stock command module ladders can always put science in and take out.

Edited by Mattheus

Finally tried this out. And I'm sold. Deleting B9 fuselages from my parts list. Thanks a bunch @Nertea . Top notch stuff. You are a credit to the community.

Have you considered doing bulkheads, or floor panels for the insides? Expanded metal, dimple die, diamond plate... That sorta thing? Anyways, you do you. Working great so far!

4 hours ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

Finally tried this out. And I'm sold. Deleting B9 fuselages from my parts list. Thanks a bunch @Nertea . Top notch stuff. You are a credit to the community.

Have you considered doing bulkheads, or floor panels for the insides? Expanded metal, dimple die, diamond plate... That sorta thing? Anyways, you do you. Working great so far!

Glad you enjoy! I don't have plans to do those things unfortunately, beyond a very simple "slice" piece for partitioning cargo bays.

Something went wrong with the archive I just uploaded. Please don't download it. 

Edited by Nertea

7 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Glad you enjoy! I don't have plans to do those things unfortunately, beyond a very simple "slice" piece for partitioning cargo bays

Yeah, a "slice". That's what I meant. Like half as thick as the drone core, or something like that. BTW, nice touch on the rotating red eye thing haha. 

1 hour ago, HoveringKiller said:

Does the vulture cockpit reduce drag I'm assuming because of the more narrow nose? Both the Vulture and Thunderhawk appear to have the same relative wing area (I'm assuming this shows lift generated, I may be wrong, haven't done much with airplanes so far).

Yeah it should have lower drag but similar lift. 

There seems to be a problem with the cargo bays (or at least the biggest one, I haven't tested the others). They don't seem to occlude the part behind them properly when closed, which means that the part behind it gets 10-20 times more drag than when using an empty tank of the same size instead. At least for my plane, that made it impossible to get supersonic :(

Unsure if this was addressed in the update in 2.3.2 but I love this mod, tried using it on KSPTV on Thursday.

But I was seeing some rather large (huge) drag arrows for parts that should have been 'protected' like the fuel tanks etc. Now I was told that the weight is part of the math and this might be why.

Still, I love the look/feel of these parts and the fact it can be used to launch a 3.75 part. And the issue might be due to the 1.2.1 drag aero stuff too, giving false readings or something.

Either way, great work and just kinda wondering if there is a drag issue or if the arrows are wrong or if they are right and it should be that draggy? I mean the parts /are/ huge after all.

Anyway, @Nertea I love your mods as always, and only recently found this one! So thanks!

34 minutes ago, Michaelo90 said:

There seems to be a problem with the cargo bays (or at least the biggest one, I haven't tested the others). They don't seem to occlude the part behind them properly when closed, which means that the part behind it gets 10-20 times more drag than when using an empty tank of the same size instead. At least for my plane, that made it impossible to get supersonic :(

I'm experiencing similar issues. I got a really long drag arrow on the arodynamic forces overlay, and I'm going to try it again with nothing in the cargo bay and replacing it with an empty fuel tank to see the effects.

Edit: With an empty cargo bay it still seems to induce large amounts of drag. With just a fuel tank I was actually able to break mach 1 and still seemed to be accelerating rather strongly.

Imgur album:

http://imgur.com/a/lT7Ax

Edited by HoveringKiller

28 minutes ago, HoveringKiller said:

I'm experiencing similar issues. I got a really long drag arrow on the arodynamic forces overlay, and I'm going to try it again with nothing in the cargo bay and replacing it with an empty fuel tank to see the effects.

Edit: With an empty cargo bay it still seems to induce large amounts of drag. With just a fuel tank I was actually able to break mach 1 and still seemed to be accelerating rather strongly.

Imgur album:

http://imgur.com/a/lT7Ax

My plane couldn't even go supersonic with almost all tanks empty and a 4.5 twr, with a tank it did it like it was nothing even with twice the weight.

If any of you are comfortable looking at cfgs, please help me test a fix... I'm not so good at aero things so I don't know what is normal.

Replace the similar block in mk4cargo-1.cfg with this one:

// --- node definitions ---
    node_stack_top = 0.0, 5, 0.00, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 4
    node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -5, 0.00, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 4

node_stack_top2 = 0.0, 5, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2
    node_stack_bottom2 = 0.0, -5, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2

node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 1.6576, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 4

21 minutes ago, Nertea said:

If any of you are comfortable looking at cfgs, please help me test a fix... I'm not so good at aero things so I don't know what is normal.

Replace the similar block in mk4cargo-1.cfg with this one:

// --- node definitions ---
    node_stack_top = 0.0, 5, 0.00, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 4
    node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -5, 0.00, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 4

node_stack_top2 = 0.0, 5, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2
    node_stack_bottom2 = 0.0, -5, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2

node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 1.6576, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 4

I don't know if I did something wrong but the game says the part doesn't exist now :/

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

If any of you are comfortable looking at cfgs, please help me test a fix...

First, thanks for a great mod, Nertea! I just replaced the referenced part of the .cfg file and observed no difference in overall drag. I compared top speed in level flight using a Mk4 SSTO w/CRG-240 Cargo Bay I've been working on.

I just picked up the Mk4 mod a few days ago, so I can't compare the performance to earlier versions. It seems rather difficult to push it through the trans-sonic region (I'm able to do it with 2 Broadswords, 6 Rapiers, and a pair of SRB's). Like TheReadPanda said, though, it's a huge airframe!