[1.10.x] Mark IV Spaceplane System (August 3)

Nertea

2 hours ago, Greystripe3 said:

I have noticed a bug in the IVA. Large sections of geometry are missing, as I have found with other IVAs in other mod packs of yours. Ex:

Reveal hidden contents

f57ff0085e24436d821a38b932d2b5e8.png

Is this just on my end? or are others having the same/similar issue?

Totally having that, too. It's been noted, and is just an IVA bug (likely with the newer version of Unity [in 1.1?])

Just now, Beetlecat said:

Totally having that, too. It's been noted, and is just an IVA bug (likely with the newer version of Unity [in 1.1?])

It seems as if the exterior geometry of the part clips with the interior (but obviously you cant see the surfaces cause you are inside the part.)

If this is by design, just let me know.

The lift fans have an atmCurve which does not allow them to operate below 0.1 atmospheres at all. This makes sense for the airbreathing mode but I wonder if it is intentional for the electrical mode? I would expect the fans to be able to produce a (very modest) amount of shove on Duna.

ETA: Purely wishlist stuff now, but I would be very grateful for a shorter version of the cargo cockpit and corresponding shielded docking nosecone in Clamp-o-Tron Sr. size.

A second wishlist item, after a bit of fiddling in the VAB: would it be possible to have an adapter that necks down from a large circular size, say 5m, to the Mark IV parts, please?

Edited by damerell

On 8/4/2016 at 4:22 PM, Greystripe3 said:

I have noticed a bug in the IVA. Large sections of geometry are missing, as I have found with other IVAs in other mod packs of yours. Ex:

Hide contents

f57ff0085e24436d821a38b932d2b5e8.png

Is this just on my end? or are others having the same/similar issue?

I hate IVAs with a raw and unending passion. 

On 8/14/2016 at 6:16 AM, damerell said:

If this is by design, just let me know.

The lift fans have an atmCurve which does not allow them to operate below 0.1 atmospheres at all. This makes sense for the airbreathing mode but I wonder if it is intentional for the electrical mode? I would expect the fans to be able to produce a (very modest) amount of shove on Duna.

ETA: Purely wishlist stuff now, but I would be very grateful for a shorter version of the cargo cockpit and corresponding shielded docking nosecone in Clamp-o-Tron Sr. size.

A second wishlist item, after a bit of fiddling in the VAB: would it be possible to have an adapter that necks down from a large circular size, say 5m, to the Mark IV parts, please?

I'll make those tweaks to the electric fans, but don't hold your breath for the other two ;). 

5 minutes ago, Nertea said:

I hate IVAs with a raw and unending passion. 

Have you thought about taking on an assistant to do IVAs? Not that I'm volunteering, I don't have an artistic bone in my body. But I'm sure if you put out a call you'd have a bunch of volunteers. 

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

Have you thought about taking on an assistant to do IVAs? Not that I'm volunteering, I don't have an artistic bone in my body. But I'm sure if you put out a call you'd have a bunch of volunteers. 

^^This!

Is the general frustration with IVA the props or the modeling?

I'm currently making my first IVA (in regards to placing props), and although it is a long process, I actually do enjoy it. I'm no good at modeling, but I would probably be able to add props and ASET stuff to existing IVA models, as long as they're modeled correctly.

1 hour ago, theonegalen said:

I'm currently making my first IVA (in regards to placing props), and although it is a long process, I actually do enjoy it. I'm no good at modeling, but I would probably be able to add props and ASET stuff to existing IVA models, as long as they're modeled correctly.

Setting up everything in Unity is annoying and then putting those stupid props on and having to reload the stupid database every time then spending a good 30 minutes making sure your Kerbal is set up correctly on it's seat just to realize that female and male Kerbals are offset from each other. It's one of those things that you spend twice the time making but everyone who plays uses it about 5% of the time. Oh and not to mention that Squad decided to rotate internals and cockpits in every confusing way.

IVA's are cool and all, if the props could somehow be added in-game, or an in-game environment of sorts, that might make life a little easier..

Oh and Kerbals have giant heads, and their eyes are halfway down their heads making things like eye offsets necessary in order just to be able to look out a window.

Edited by martinezfg11

On 8/19/2016 at 1:42 PM, TheSaint said:

I have a few times asked for help, but everybody who can model IVAs to any kind of skill that I'd like has a nice stack of their own projects, as far as I know. 

On 8/19/2016 at 7:38 PM, theonegalen said:

It's the modeling. Prop placement is pretty trivial and while boring, isn't frustrating like this.

On 23/08/2016 at 7:44 AM, Nertea said:

I have a few times asked for help, but everybody who can model IVAs to any kind of skill that I'd like has a nice stack of their own projects, as far as I know.

How about this guy? Obviously still developing, but could probably use a little bit of mentoring as well.

Edited by SmarterThanMe

Forgot how much I enjoy this mod... :)

Got a wee problem though, maybe someone could offer advice? I'm working on this guy, which uses the cargo ramp tail to allow deployment and recovery of a rover:

Spoiler

rR6BwST.jpg

It's flying well, but I'm seeing F12 drag lines from components in the cargo bay, and the rover's wheels explode from overheating during ascent... Everything is what I would have thought to be well and truly inside the boundaries of the bay. Any suggestions please? :) 

*edit* For testing, I floated the rover in the centre of the bay. Its wheels couldn't be further from anything, but... they overheat. Specifically the rear wheels that face into the airstream - or would if they weren't in a cargo bay... at least they don't seem to be generating drag lines, which must be good :) 

bYkTviQ.jpg

This may not be an MKIV issue! It might be stock, but I don't know a valid way to tell. It didn't happen in a MK3 bay, that's about all I know. If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them :) 

Edited by eddiew

8 hours ago, eddiew said:

Got a wee problem though, ...

Any suggestions please? :) 

I`ve have noticed too a issue with the cargoramp, the hinge area is prone to pop tires here and then, the transition is not absolute precise while exiting or entering the bay with a larger truck or rover.

I simply keep stuff away from the ramp volume while flying to avoid drag, i am sure nertea is aware of the issues, it still works good enough for me however.

8 hours ago, eddiew said:

Got a wee problem though, maybe someone could offer advice? I'm working on this guy, which uses the cargo ramp tail to allow deployment and recovery of a rover:

Reveal hidden contents

rR6BwST.jpg

It's flying well, but I'm seeing F12 drag lines from components in the cargo bay, and the rover's wheels explode from overheating during ascent... Everything is what I would have thought to be well and truly inside the boundaries of the bay. Any suggestions please? :) 

*edit* For testing, I floated the rover in the centre of the bay. Its wheels couldn't be further from anything, but... they overheat. Specifically the rear wheels that face into the airstream - or would if they weren't in a cargo bay... at least they don't seem to be generating drag lines, which must be good :) 

This may not be an MKIV issue! It might be stock, but I don't know a valid way to tell. It didn't happen in a MK3 bay, that's about all I know. If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them :) 

Yep, the ramp does not shield stuff. If I recall correctly that at some point they were, but they were sometimes shielding your engine as well! You might just want to do a longer plane!

Thanks @Mikki and @RedParadize. I tried pulling the rover deeper into the cargo bay, keeping it totally clear of the ramp, but it does still heat up. On the up side, I found that by mounting a radiator above its docking port and managing the thrust during flight so that the biggest burn happens above 40km, the tyres don't reach critical temperature :) 

I don't expect to be re-entering on Kerbin with the rover still aboard, and other destinations have lower orbital velocities (or not atmosphere), so I think the combination of these things will probably enable me to get this thing into service ^^

I have a problem with RasterProp in MK4.

It works with stock craft, but in the Vulture cockpit I'm only getting the static screens. (haven't checked the other cockpit yet.)

Also, the ceiling is missing when IVA'ing from 2 side seats. :)  (this person seems to have the same problem.)

KPIgwoq.png