[1.10.x] Mark IV Spaceplane System (August 3)

Nertea

Intakes got nerfed, by a large amount. If you use them, chances are you'll need more of them than before.

It also seems that nert removed the lift surface of the structural parts :(.

Too bad, it was the first time I could create a shuttle that don't have 400 m wings.

Have you seen PorkJet's new parts to upgrade the Mk3 for 0.90? It's a 2.5m cargo bay. I was a bit afraid that it'd render this mod useless. But it's a completely different shape, and, more importantly, it has a rear cargo bay! the Mk3 looks more Space-Shuttle-y.

Have you seen PorkJet's new parts to upgrade the Mk3 for 0.90? It's a 2.5m cargo bay. I was a bit afraid that it'd render this mod useless. But it's a completely different shape, and, more importantly, it has a rear cargo bay! the Mk3 looks more Space-Shuttle-y.

They're around the same cross sectional area, but the MkIV parts are considerably wider which makes them more useful for rovers etc which are somewhat difficult to make very narrow. For reference, Mk3 is 3.75m in diameter with the sides chopped off (same as B9's HL system).

Just in case anyone else was having the same problem I was with certain parts not loading, rbray says it was an error with the particular ATM version and is fixed in the next one.

I suspect that any occurrences of that bug on old versions can be put down to error on my part.

Edited by Starbuckminsterfullerton

Hey Nertea,

first: I really love this mod! The Mark IV parts are awesome and I enjoy using them.

I still have a few comments/criticism and I hope they'll help you: I noticed that the max temperature is set to 1500° and not to 2900°-3600°. This sometimes leads to the fact that I cannot use the full potential of some engines (especially if a part has multiple engines on it, like the MkIV Triple adapter), or else they explode really fast. I am currently testing if I can abuse your parts for some heavy payload carrier rockets ( http://abload.de/img/screenshot7m9f60.png just an initial test which failed because the three hardpoints on the triple adapter cannot be fully utilised). Would you consider rasing the max temperature or does this temperature have a deeper meaning? Ok I found the issue. It seems that the Deadly Reentry Config file you put into the patches directory edited the maxtemp and deleted the drag from all your modules. But I am not using deadly reentry. So I deleted this file and finally got the original values you intended for the non-DRE version.

The Cargobays dont have a second "inside" node (like the Mk2 Cargobays) which means I cannot place the 2,5m docking port at the end of the cargo bay. I have to use the 1,25m docking port or have to work with the radial attachment point. Not a big issue, but considering that the cargo bay is made for 2,5m parts, it would be nice to have the option to place the big docking port directly at the wall.

Those were my main concerns (so far :P ). If you have some time and feel like it, I would also love to see a connected-living-space-support :) It's fairly easy and merely a few lines per affected part.

Btw: I never build a single-stage-to-orbit spaceplane as easily and quickly as I did with your parts.

Edited by caipi

The Cargobays dont have a second "inside" node (like the Mk2 Cargobays) which means I cannot place the 2,5m docking port at the end of the cargo bay. I have to use the 1,25m docking port or have to work with the radial attachment point. Not a big issue, but considering that the cargo bay is made for 2,5m parts, it would be nice to have the option to place the big docking port directly at the wall..

Just use part clipping.

Part clipping doesn't create non-existent attachnodes. I don't see how part clipping would help in any way with the issue at hand.

Part clipping enables you to attach multiple parts to the same attach node. At least with Editor Extensions ... I'm not quite sure if it works with the default part clipping.

Still having a few cargo bay issues...

One chunky spaceplane:

screenshot587_zps27412a4f.jpg

And one refuelling truck:

screenshot588_zps603f0be7.jpg

screenshot594_zpsc96f8685.jpg

A friendly looking fuel hose:

screenshot595_zpsca2363e3.jpg

Oh no! We can't reach high enough!

screenshot596_zpsc41934a1.jpg

Never mind...

screenshot597_zpsd1b377d7.jpg

Hooked on:

screenshot598_zpsdc8de491.jpg

All done, back in the bay, reconnect to the docking port I started from, and...

screenshot599_zpsc82dc3da.jpg

Rover wheels seem to really want to fall through that bay. Struts can sort it out during launch, but the whole point of the ramp is to allow rovers to be recovered. Even KAS struts would not have saved this one; the rover fell through immediately after reconnecting to the docking port; there was no time to strut.

I had the same problem trying to refuel a helicopter on an offshore platform. I downloaded the Quantum Struts mod, which uses space magic to automatically create struts the instant two ships are docked together. Works like a charm. :cool:

One chunky spaceplane:

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah120/craigmotbey/Kerbal/screenshot587_zps27412a4f.jpg

And one refuelling truck:

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah120/craigmotbey/Kerbal/screenshot588_zps603f0be7.jpg

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah120/craigmotbey/Kerbal/screenshot594_zpsc96f8685.jpg

A friendly looking fuel hose:

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah120/craigmotbey/Kerbal/screenshot595_zpsca2363e3.jpg

Oh no! We can't reach high enough!

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah120/craigmotbey/Kerbal/screenshot596_zpsc41934a1.jpg

Never mind...

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah120/craigmotbey/Kerbal/screenshot597_zpsd1b377d7.jpg

Hooked on:

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah120/craigmotbey/Kerbal/screenshot598_zpsdc8de491.jpg

All done, back in the bay, reconnect to the docking port I started from, and...

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah120/craigmotbey/Kerbal/screenshot599_zpsc82dc3da.jpg

Rover wheels seem to really want to fall through that bay. Struts can sort it out during launch, but the whole point of the ramp is to allow rovers to be recovered. Even KAS struts would not have saved this one; the rover fell through immediately after reconnecting to the docking port; there was no time to strut.

That is happening because of how KSP works with docked parts, generally any part of a vessel if it's loose and still attached in some way with the main bulk, will clip through the other, helps to avoid collision mesh issues in the engine.

As suggested using quantum struts may fix this, but another way to fix this without Qstruts is to either have the docking port be on top so your rover hangs in the bay, or you place the docking port on the bottom of the craft and cargo bay and then you can let it sit on the port, I've done both as it solves the falling through the floor issue.

Considering I custom made my avatar, when I see it I wonderâ€â€did I post and not know about it? That's really distracting. Anyways, you probably don't want to maintain two versions of the mod but might I suggest a 'firespitter-enabled' version? When you have parts that are all the same size, you can use firespitter to swap the model and the tank contents. It allows you to basically condense, at minimum, your LF, LFO, Mono and Structural parts into a single piece that you can then select for yourself without of clogging up the parts catalog. A practical example is instead of finding the 3m LFO, you just pick the 3m fuselage and change it to LFO.

Considering I custom made my avatar, when I see it I wonderâ€â€did I post and not know about it? That's really distracting. Anyways, you probably don't want to maintain two versions of the mod but might I suggest a 'firespitter-enabled' version? When you have parts that are all the same size, you can use firespitter to swap the model and the tank contents. It allows you to basically condense, at minimum, your LF, LFO, Mono and Structural parts into a single piece that you can then select for yourself without of clogging up the parts catalog. A practical example is instead of finding the 3m LFO, you just pick the 3m fuselage and change it to LFO.

Craziness, I ripped it off google image search, didn't even realise it was your avatar dude! Was meant to be a placeholder til I sorted my own, will get right on that now!

The trick I've found is this:

You want multiple winches. Ultimately I wound up putting 12 winches into the cargo bay for really heavy loads.

Get a Kerbal out into the cargo bay and attach Radial Attachment Points around the vehicle.

IMPORTANT NOTE: When you attach the winch heads to the RAPs, do NOT attach them in "Docked" Mode. Leave them UNDOCKED so that the vehicle remains it's own vehicle and not "docked" to the carrying ship.

Retract the winches - if you've done it right, you can winch the rover/vehicle completely off of the cargo bay floor so that the wheels aren't even touching it. (I often get enough headroom to walk Kerbals underneath the winched vehicle.

Attach struts. I recommend 4 struts fore and aft, 2 above and 2 below.

Then and ONLY then choose one of the winches (right click), bring up the GUI, and change the status of the secured vehicle to "Docked" mode.

Using this method, it doesn't matter what part set you're using, Mk 4, Mk 3, Mk 2, whatever. It will stay put and won't fall through the floor.

Hope that helps!

The Cargobays dont have a second "inside" node (like the Mk2 Cargobays) which means I cannot place the 2,5m docking port at the end of the cargo bay. I have to use the 1,25m docking port or have to work with the radial attachment point. Not a big issue, but considering that the cargo bay is made for 2,5m parts, it would be nice to have the option to place the big docking port directly at the wall.

I tried to fix this myself and the parts actually do have a secondary node defined in the config file, but for some reason it doesn't show up in game.. I compared the cfg file to the Mk2 cargo bay and the node definition looks the same, so I have no idea.

I tried to fix this myself and the parts actually do have a secondary node defined in the config file, but for some reason it doesn't show up in game.. I compared the cfg file to the Mk2 cargo bay and the node definition looks the same, so I have no idea.

I have some experience with doing custom nodes BUT, I am incompetent with modulemanager configs so I'd have to distribute the modified cfg directly and you'd have to overwrite mod files. TL;DR, it'd break as soon as Nertea updates the pack (got any cool concept pics for any of your mods coming?*).

*This is a not-so-subtle hint that whenever you get around to it, we wouldn't mind some more eye candy.

You must be using FAR/NEAR because the nodes are removed with them since they were causing phantom drag you can change this if the you look in the right CFG file.