[1.10.x] Mark IV Spaceplane System (August 3)

Nertea

12 minutes ago, gilflo said:

I am sorry, I deleted the aircraft, but here is another example of what happens

Pitch up on stab while pitch down on wings!

631966screenshot95.png

I believe your problem is with procedural wings, not Mk IV. However it even happens in stock especially when using very swept back wings. It has to do with where the wing attaches relative to the CoM. The issue comes up more frequently with procedural wings because they have such a large length connecting to the fuselage, so the midpoint can easily be in front of the CoM, even though the control surfaces are well behind.

4 minutes ago, Nightside said:

I believe your problem is with procedural wings, not Mk IV. However it even happens in stock especially when using very swept back wings. It has to do with where the wing attaches relative to the CoM. The issue comes up more frequently with procedural wings because they have such a large length connecting to the fuselage, so the midpoint can easily be in front of the CoM, even though the control surfaces are well behind.

Isn't there a "reverse" function on the controls? Nevermind, that's for "deploy".

Edited by Snarfster

8 minutes ago, Snarfster said:

Isn't there a "reverse" function on the controls? Nevermind, that's for "deploy".

Yes but it does not change anything.

I never had any problem with procedural wings, it happened only on Mark IV planes.....

1 hour ago, SpaceKraken said:

For some reason, propeller engines don't have sounds. Just silence.

I did something wrong, or not?

(sorry for my english)

These prop engines (like almost every one in existence) are powered by the Firespitter plugin. Verify your Firespitter is up to date. If that does not solve your issue, come back to us.

Got an issue with the vulture cockpit on a cargo version.

After redocking my stuff, it looks like the control are from  the docking port inside the cargo, whatever is the "control from here" I use from the vulture cockpit...... or it's control from the docking port of the cockpit but not from the cockpit itself....

To solve it I select Space center, get back to Space center, then re select my SSTO from the tracking station  and when I was back to it "control "from the cockpit were ok.

Edited by gilflo
find a solution

My only issue with the set happens when i add the Mk4 single Adapter to the stack, there's a bit of offset that will mess up the balance of the stack. Happens on all fuel variants, full or empty. 

Hi,

I was going through the Connected Living Space configs of the parts I have installed, and noticed that the Mk4 'Thunderhawk' Cockpit (mk4cockpit-1) is currently not CLS passable, while the other Mk4 cockpit is.

This is caused by MarkIVSystem/Patches/MkIVCLS.cfg having an incorrect part name (just mk4cockpit instead of mk4cockpit-1).

So I notice your parts all use InterstellarFuelSwitch but ... only use stock fuels.  any chance you can either:

1. add support for the rest of the Interstellar fuels

2. make it work with ABZB's mod which replaces the LiquidFuel resource with IFS through ModuleManager (works for stock and most mods, anything that doesn't explicitly define IFS in the part .cfg)

I can do #1 myself I think.  Been trying #2 but it seems to have problems taking out the IFS config due to the interaction with the mesh switch, and it tries to use every texture at once(?) and it.. flickers... when I do it this way.  So.  Any chance of an 'official' update to use the Interstellar fuels in the parts?

5 hours ago, Bomoo said:

I'd just like to add that the Mk4 fuselage makes a rather spiffy external tank for something like an Mk2 spaceplane.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/357276631058785054/8CE6D1380FFF519319300B7D72F312129BE6F5A5/

Well ain't that sexy .....

Could probably do with less engines on the shuttle. Maybe just the two RAPIERs and no wing tanks. What kind of engines do you have on the external and how many?

12 hours ago, ss8913 said:

So I notice your parts all use InterstellarFuelSwitch but ... only use stock fuels.  any chance you can either:

1. add support for the rest of the Interstellar fuels

2. make it work with ABZB's mod which replaces the LiquidFuel resource with IFS through ModuleManager (works for stock and most mods, anything that doesn't explicitly define IFS in the part .cfg)

I can do #1 myself I think.  Been trying #2 but it seems to have problems taking out the IFS config due to the interaction with the mesh switch, and it tries to use every texture at once(?) and it.. flickers... when I do it this way.  So.  Any chance of an 'official' update to use the Interstellar fuels in the parts?

The only reason I use IFS is that its cost and mass calculating functions are slightly more robust that FS. It is not technically difficult to add the fuels, but I won't be doing it as it is a big chunk of busy work, and it would add a significant amount of clutter (what are all these resources??) to a mod that is prooobably not balanced with Interstellar in the first place. It's far better off as a MM patch for the tanks that :NEEDS[KSPI]

For inspiration on how to modify and specify tanks using IFS and MM, check out CryoEngines' fuel switching patches. 

9 hours ago, Bomoo said:

I'd just like to add that the Mk4 fuselage makes a rather spiffy external tank for something like an Mk2 spaceplane.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/357276631058785054/8CE6D1380FFF519319300B7D72F312129BE6F5A5/

That's a beaut!

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

The only reason I use IFS is that its cost and mass calculating functions are slightly more robust that FS. It is not technically difficult to add the fuels, but I won't be doing it as it is a big chunk of busy work, and it would add a significant amount of clutter (what are all these resources??) to a mod that is prooobably not balanced with Interstellar in the first place. It's far better off as a MM patch for the tanks that :NEEDS[KSPI]

For inspiration on how to modify and specify tanks using IFS and MM, check out CryoEngines' fuel switching patches. 

That's a beaut!

ABZB suggested taking out the specific IFS sections in the MarkIV configs, since that's what his MM patches do - convert anything with a stock-like fuel system to use IFS - but it won't override a specific IFS config in a module.  As far as capacities, it seems to be as balanced with Interstellar as any of the other mods are when using ABZB's MM patches (which are transparent to the module) - only reason yours isn't transparent to his work is due to the specific IFS config in your files.  I can add the resources and do the busywork and send you the result, if you wish. (ie, modifying your existing IFS block - taking it out is causing mesh switch issues, so if you'd rather do it that way and let the MM patches from ABZB handle it, I need to know how to force the parts to use a single texture/mesh which I'm not sure how to do without the part "flickering".

12 hours ago, Captain Sierra said:

Well ain't that sexy .....

Could probably do with less engines on the shuttle. Maybe just the two RAPIERs and no wing tanks. What kind of engines do you have on the external and how many?

Why, thank you. I initially had two mainsails on there, but upgraded to some SSMEs on a pair of 2.5m to 1.25m stack splitters. Perhaps needless to say, throttle controlled avionics is a must.

8 hours ago, Nertea said:

That's a beaut!

Thanks!

Finally got a Mk4 sized SSTO to work, but now I've run into another problem. I'm running your Near Future stuff as well, and what I want to do is make a long range SSTO using something other than chemical engines. The problem is two fold: If I use any of the electrical engine, there's no reactor that's the right size to run them that can easily fit into a Mk4 fuselage (or my preferred method, a Mk4 reactor of the correct form factor :D). The other option is that I use NTR engines, there's no ability in the mk4 mod to have LH fuel in the tanks. For the reactor option I don't know what my options are, but for the NTR engine, is there a config that I can change to make that an option?

53 minutes ago, PanzerAce said:

Finally got a Mk4 sized SSTO to work, but now I've run into another problem. I'm running your Near Future stuff as well, and what I want to do is make a long range SSTO using something other than chemical engines. The problem is two fold: If I use any of the electrical engine, there's no reactor that's the right size to run them that can easily fit into a Mk4 fuselage (or my preferred method, a Mk4 reactor of the correct form factor :D). The other option is that I use NTR engines, there's no ability in the mk4 mod to have LH fuel in the tanks. For the reactor option I don't know what my options are, but for the NTR engine, is there a config that I can change to make that an option?

If you open up the config files for the fuel tanks you will see the fuel switcher code, you just need to add in the LH parameters. Use a tank that already has LH parameters in it as a guide to copy over the necessary lines of code. It's pretty easy to add in any type of fuel you need!

On 2/4/2016 at 2:10 PM, Jebman82 said:

If you open up the config files for the fuel tanks you will see the fuel switcher code, you just need to add in the LH parameters. Use a tank that already has LH parameters in it as a guide to copy over the necessary lines of code. It's pretty easy to add in any type of fuel you need!

Could the same process be used to "make" a reactor in a mk4 piece? For example, copy one of the fuselage parts and then add the code from one of the Near Future reactors. I would love to see someone get something like this working!

7 minutes ago, jackal40 said:

Could the same process be used to "make" a reactor in a mk4 piece? For example, copy one of the fuselage parts and then add the code from one of the Near Future reactors. I would love to see someone get something like this working!

Fuel switching is simply changing some resource values. Throwing a reactor in there is a vastly more complicated partmodule to insert. Its like assuming an auto mechanic can work on an F-18. (Pro tip: he can't) I'm not saying it can't be done, just that its far more complex than you make it out to be. A lot of custom plugin code would need to be written.

11 minutes ago, Captain Sierra said:

Fuel switching is simply changing some resource values. Throwing a reactor in there is a vastly more complicated partmodule to insert. Its like assuming an auto mechanic can work on an F-18. (Pro tip: he can't) I'm not saying it can't be done, just that its far more complex than you make it out to be. A lot of custom plugin code would need to be written.

Well, it would be simple enough as a separate part.  But regardless, I don't see the benefit over just sticking a reactor in a cargo bay.