[1.10.x] Mark IV Spaceplane System (August 3)

Nertea

Ok, So I've designed a large cargo spaceplane with no drag issues whatsoever (I still don't know how I managed to pull it off). It has 3 large cargo bays and can consistently get to orbit with more than 1,400 dv left afterwards. It uses B9 procedural wings, so if you don't have those, replace them with stock ones. 

craft file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46597246/Spaceplane-1s.craft

Edited by sh1pman

On 2/11/2017 at 9:23 PM, quitessa said:

Have you guys looked at the parts with DefiantZombie's Collide-O-Scope? The Cargobays wireframes are Massively Longer than the actual cargobays.

Could you be more specific and perhaps provide some pictures? I inspect parts with sarbian's debug tools, with no visible collision anomalies. 

Sorry it took so long to respond Nertea.

I have DefiantZombies Collide-O-Scope to help make sure I don't run into collision box issues with dockingports etc. I accidentally switched on the mod on a Large Ventral MK4 Bay and was amazed at the collision boxes for the bey doors, they were massively longer than the bay itself, and there were also long collision boxes on the top as well. I then checked the other MK4 parts and found similar issues on all the cargobays and the Passenger Bay.

These extra collision boxes may be what's causing all the drag issues. See attached Imgur Album to demonstrate

9 hours ago, limofs said:

Hello Nertea,

is TweakScale implementation planned in the future for Mark IV?

Nah, I don't like TweakScale, but it's easy to add yourself.

20 hours ago, quitessa said:

Sorry it took so long to respond Nertea.

I have DefiantZombies Collide-O-Scope to help make sure I don't run into collision box issues with dockingports etc. I accidentally switched on the mod on a Large Ventral MK4 Bay and was amazed at the collision boxes for the bey doors, they were massively longer than the bay itself, and there were also long collision boxes on the top as well. I then checked the other MK4 parts and found similar issues on all the cargobays and the Passenger Bay.

These extra collision boxes may be what's causing all the drag issues. See attached Imgur Album to demonstrate

So first off, there is a need for the boxes you've marked as "extra" for the complete encapsulation of the cargo. I also don't see these weird colliders in my install with sarbian's tool, or in Unity, or anything. 

There might be some issue that I would want to look into as a result of that, but at any rate, it's not the problem. The drag cubes are not currently being generated by the colliders, they are being generated by the fuselage pieces of equivalent size and overwritten.

Well, no luck. Are the drag cubes generated properly in-game? Something really subtle is going on, because on one plane with three consecutive cargo bays this bug does occur, but everything is fine with another plane that has the same three consecutive bays.

It would be great if I could use this mod to it's full potential, but sadly more than half of the items included are missing, for example; fuel tanks, fuselages, et cetera.

Screenshots of whatever made it into my game: http://i.imgur.com/vG1tQbF.png , http://i.imgur.com/3IvHMsS.png , http://i.imgur.com/eroGvgZ.png , http://i.imgur.com/GIm3JXG.png

Edit: After some digital digging, I've found the problem I was looking for, and the solution to it.

Edit 2: After following the instructions for the solution (placing the zipped GameData folder into KSP's Root Directory), the missing parts remain missing.

Edited by SpaceYorkie
Update on situation

23 minutes ago, SpaceYorkie said:

It would be great if I could use this mod to it's full potential, but sadly more than half of the items included are missing, for example; fuel tanks, fuselages, et cetera.

Screenshots of whatever made it into my game: http://i.imgur.com/vG1tQbF.png , http://i.imgur.com/3IvHMsS.png , http://i.imgur.com/eroGvgZ.png , http://i.imgur.com/GIm3JXG.png

It would be great if you could read and follow the below instructions and welcome to the forums!  There are people willing to help but you have to help us help you.

2 minutes ago, smurphy34 said:

It would be great if you could read and follow the below instructions and welcome to the forums!  There are people willing to help but you have to help us help you.

Thank you for the link, the warm welcome, and your help! I am most grateful.

On 2/16/2017 at 5:21 PM, sh1pman said:

Well, no luck. Are the drag cubes generated properly in-game? Something really subtle is going on, because on one plane with three consecutive cargo bays this bug does occur, but everything is fine with another plane that has the same three consecutive bays.

The drag cubes that I'm using are the ones copied from the fuselage sections and appear to perform just fine normally. We're looking at some problem in the interaction between the cargo bay modules and occlusion which I have not been able to reliably track yet.

1 hour ago, TDplay said:

I think your CUTLASS and BROADSWORD use too much fuel, but it may just be that I'm not giving it enough fuel. Other than that, great work!

I use all of your mods, by the way. They're so amazing!

They are more efficient than the RAPIER is, as I recall. 

1 minute ago, Nertea said:

They are more efficient than the RAPIER is, as I recall. 

In which case... MOAR FUEL! Until there's so much fuel it doesn't take off. :wink: Or I could use a dedicated rocket engine. Might save some fuel and use a Poodle. :)

3 hours ago, TDplay said:

I think your CUTLASS and BROADSWORD use too much fuel, but it may just be that I'm not giving it enough fuel.

The stock RAPIER is so overpowered that some experienced players won't use it, simply to add challenge.  The CUTLASS and BROADSWORD are even more OP - appropriate for futuristic scifi ships transporting kilotons of heavy mod parts and bases to distant modded planets.

If you're finding it hard to get to orbit with these parts, I'm afraid it's not the mod's fault, but something else about your ship design.

1 hour ago, fourfa said:

The stock RAPIER is so overpowered that some experienced players won't use it, simply to add challenge.  The CUTLASS and BROADSWORD are even more OP - appropriate for futuristic scifi ships transporting kilotons of heavy mod parts and bases to distant modded planets.

If you're finding it hard to get to orbit with these parts, I'm afraid it's not the mod's fault, but something else about your ship design.

There is also that nasty drag bug that has been going around. You need a buttload of engines to get anything meaningful into orbit that you would be using the mk IV systems for.

Hi Nertea, just reporting a long-standing but minor issue I encounter with the Mark IV crew cabin (the 12-kerbal one). The top airlock (Airlock1 collider) is always "obstructed", despite there being no other part near the collider. This happens even with a one-part vessel. The bottom airlock, Airlock4, has the same problem. So when I built the Iris, which has both ends of the crew cabin blocked with other modules, kerbals in there can only EVA by transferring to other parts. Screen:

Spoiler

mZtBJfJ.jpg

Other than that, Mark IV works brilliantly. Beauty shot:

Spoiler

sH2IrKI.jpg

Edit: the airlock can be used for entry, just not exiting the part.

Edited by Bluebottle

I noticed someone else had this problem about a month ago, and nobody was able to reproduce... I'm having it as well.

I'm unable to stack attach anything to the Vulture cockpit. I can surface attach, but not stack. The node setup looks correct in the .cfg though, so I have no idea what's going on. The Thunderhawk works fine. Any ideas? I have... gobs and gobs and gobs of other mods, FYI. <.<

KJR is the only one I can think of that should effect how parts attach to each other, though.

Edit: On further experimentation, if I start with the Thunderhawk, attach a fuel tank, re-root to the tank, and delete the Thunderhawk, I can stack attach a Vulture on the front of the tank just fine. Very odd...

Edited by FirroSeranel

I only have that issue if symmetry settings are not zeroed out completely when I try to stack.  Sometimes the symmetry gets stuck and you basically need to delete the part you're holding, then zero it out, then grab the part fresh from the catalog.

If that still doesn't work, save the craft, exit the VAB/SPH, and then re-enter and reload the craft.

Edited by PolecatEZ

Um... wow. So, yeah. The workaround you're using for drag for your cargo bays may be fine for stock, but with FAR... *ahem*

wSWdNZo.png

I'm thinking that's not gonna fly... <.<

Edit: The voxel rings are exactly at the front of the lone cargo bay. That ship is Vulture, Fuel, Fuel, Cargo, Ramp so far, with a Lynx rover inside the cargo bay on a flexible docking port.

Edit Edit: Nevermind... it's the flexible docking port, I think. When I removed it (and the rover attached to it) the giant rings went away and the voxelization is fine again.

7 minutes ago, PolecatEZ said:

I only have that issue if symmetry settings are not zeroed out completely when I try to stack.  Sometimes the symmetry gets stuck and you basically need to delete the part you're holding, then zero it out, then grab the part fresh from the catalog.

Tried that. No effect. Thanks though!

Edited by FirroSeranel

18 hours ago, FirroSeranel said:

I noticed someone else had this problem about a month ago, and nobody was able to reproduce... I'm having it as well.

I'm unable to stack attach anything to the Vulture cockpit. I can surface attach, but not stack. The node setup looks correct in the .cfg though, so I have no idea what's going on. The Thunderhawk works fine. Any ideas? I have... gobs and gobs and gobs of other mods, FYI. <.<

KJR is the only one I can think of that should effect how parts attach to each other, though.

Edit: On further experimentation, if I start with the Thunderhawk, attach a fuel tank, re-root to the tank, and delete the Thunderhawk, I can stack attach a Vulture on the front of the tank just fine. Very odd...

The other person also had gobs of mods IIRC, so I can only assume it's a mod conflict. If you can narrow it down I can investigate. However, I remain completely unable to reproduce it. 

On 2/19/2017 at 0:53 AM, Bluebottle said:

Hi Nertea, just reporting a long-standing but minor issue I encounter with the Mark IV crew cabin (the 12-kerbal one).

https://github.com/ChrisAdderley/MkIVSystem/issues/32, will take a look sometime.