[1.10.x] Mark IV Spaceplane System (August 3)

Nertea

I've found the B9 Procedural Wings work wonderfully with the Mark IV system. Personally, I'd rather see Nertea work on more unique parts and features that aren't available in complementary mods.

I consider the Mk4 to be the first expansion that may be integrated into stock in a future update (along with Nertea's wonderful Near Future packs). If I get a comprehensive space plane pack, I'd expect there to be some wing parts to go with that. Right now, we only have the Big-S and FAT wing parts for Mk3 and Mk4 designs, which quickly become either *way* too small on large ships or too large and sluggish. I always loved the early type A/B/C/D wing panels which you could snap together like Legos to build your own type of wing.

Aside from the fact that I really don't like procedural wings, but that is a matter of personal taste.

Wow. I can actually get to orbit with this. And it's my first ever circular orbit. and it's also my first ever spaceplane orbit. I might even eventually try to do the inposible and land it. (I have succesfully landed a plane intact and without parachutes before twice [one was the aeris 3a with a ramjet stuck on, the other was a vtol that couldn't vtol but could take off and land in a short space], but I've never attempted to land one from orbit. probably because I've never gotten them to orbit before...)

- - - Updated - - -

This is awesome though. also, a plane with mainsails. I must try to make that...

Apologies if this has been brought up before, or if it's a known bug with a workaround, but my own searches didn't turn up anything.

I have noticed for some time now that if I put the tail ramp on a craft, when I switch focus away from the craft, upon switching back, the ramp is *always* open, regardless of what state I left it in. It claims to think it's open, but if I toggle the action group to close it, it doesn't close (as if it's switching from closed to open rather than open to closed), and it takes a second click to close it. So somewhere in the code, it knows it should be closed, but that's not consistent with the game thinks its doing. I have not noticed this behavior on any other parts, but it's extremely consistent with the tail ramp. Any ideas?

Darn, I really should have got my IR rework themed electric fans done before I went on hiatus. Are yours bottom or side mounted?

Side mounted at the moment, but options could change!

Apologies if this has been brought up before, or if it's a known bug with a workaround, but my own searches didn't turn up anything.

I have noticed for some time now that if I put the tail ramp on a craft, when I switch focus away from the craft, upon switching back, the ramp is *always* open, regardless of what state I left it in. It claims to think it's open, but if I toggle the action group to close it, it doesn't close (as if it's switching from closed to open rather than open to closed), and it takes a second click to close it. So somewhere in the code, it knows it should be closed, but that's not consistent with the game thinks its doing. I have not noticed this behavior on any other parts, but it's extremely consistent with the tail ramp. Any ideas?

Sometimes my hijacks isn't great. I'm not willing to put time into fixing it, because the upcoming 1.05 cargo bay looks like it'll have a module that will replicate the behaviour without me having to support it.

i'm wondering if some of you could show some spaceplanes you've built with these? i love the parts but can never get anything built stable enought to actually fly (makes for some spectacular unplanned dissasemblies though).

the parts generate so much lift, i can never get the center far enough back to make anything stable.

EDIT: disregard. i have been building with b9 pwings the last couple days, and turns out that is the problem, they just arent generating lift like they should.

spent 20 minutes building with stock wings and boom; SSTO.

7txU1FS.jpg

fDQBzP2.jpg

Edited by BobsYerUncle

Haha, i cant even land the simplest of planes, much less a spaceplane gliding in... i have to resort to a billion parachutes...

Beetlecat: I want to say one word to you. Just one word.

BobsYerUncle: Yes, sir.

Beetlecat: Are you listening?

BobsYerUncle: Yes, I am.

Beetlecat: Airbrakes.

BobsYerUncle: Exactly how do you mean?

Beetlecat: There's a great future in airbrakes. Think about it. Will you think about it?

Haha, i cant even land the simplest of planes, much less a spaceplane gliding in... i have to resort to a billion parachutes...

That was me. Then, after putting a ramjet on the aeris 3a, i did a horrible lineup for a landing and touched down on the runway at about 120-130 mph, braked, started deploying the flaps, and stopped at about 30 yards from the end. I'd glided into it. it was awesome. just slow down, maybe use airbrakes, try to land on flat ground, and just brake and maybe deploy flaps. try that.

- - - Updated - - -

Also try the aeris 3 a, which is of course a dream to fly.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, airbrakes. especially for VTOLS, since although the one I made that actually works and doesn't try to flip itself can do the VTO part, and can't do the L part VTOL style. it does a more convnetional landing, often in the grasslands bumpy hills due to me not turnign around. also, it's ramjet makes it uncontrolable once it gets up to fast speeds.

so.......... ive got a wierd issue that i was directed here thru reading but after reading all 79 pages of this thread i cannot find it, maybe im just blind but can someone direct me or help me with this, I love the MK 4 space plane parts, but i also use OPT for different SSTO solutions, but i normally mesh both mods, for example ill use MK4 engines on OPT planes, and OPT wings one MK 4 planes, but as of late ive had a issue with OPT wings not working. There basically like the BIG S wings but with built in control surfaces..... makes it easier when im running mods that make procedual wings not work due to mods like FASA. the control surfaces just do not work. "Do you have MK4 spaceplane installed? That has a config that forces everything else to act as if FAR is installed. No idea why, there is a fix CFG somewhere in the MK4 thread. Not sure if that is your issue but it sounds exactly the same as the wing lift issue I had from installing Mk4 mod." If anyone knows about this config please let me know

If I recall, OPT wings have an issue with FAR in general. You need to be in stock aero. (Though I THINK there's a cfg floating around that gives OPT wings proper FAR support.) If you don't have FAR (or even NEAR, though NEAR is essentially deprecated at this point), I have no idea. Have you read through the OPT thread as well?

Hello!

This mod includes some "interstellar switch". I'm not interested in the Interstellar mod. Can I delete that without problems?

The Interstellar fuel switch plugin allows a single part to be switched between multiple configurations (generally different fuels or combinations of fuels), reducing the number of distinct parts that a mod needs to ship; it has nothing to do with the Interstellar mod's parts. No real reason to exclude it.

The Interstellar fuel switch plugin allows a single part to be switched between multiple configurations (generally different fuels or combinations of fuels), reducing the number of distinct parts that a mod needs to ship; it has nothing to do with the Interstellar mod's parts. No real reason to exclude it.

Ah, thank you! Then I guess I'm downloading the update it requires. :)

I've found the B9 Procedural Wings work wonderfully with the Mark IV system. Personally, I'd rather see Nertea work on more unique parts and features that aren't available in complementary mods.

i'm curious, are you using FAR? because i find the exact opposite to be the case with it installed. i cant get b9-pwings to generate lift for anything, much left a behemoth like the mkIV