[1.10.x] Mark IV Spaceplane System (August 3)

Nertea

I had a bit of a roadblock with Firespitter's propeller spinner not working right with multiple engines on a part. I submitted a pull request fixing this, we'll see when it's integrated. I'll work on a few more things while I wait for that. Probably need to do some work on sounds. 

Having played with the fans a bunch, I'm finding them quite difficult to integrate into wings when I want to, and end up building complex nasty things. I think I'll be making a variant of the 7.5m and 3.75m fans , either now or some time in the future, that has integrated wing root pieces to make the net footprint square and make using them as part of wings easier. 

On 6/7/2016 at 3:35 PM, Rho-Mu 34 said:

Simple - generally, it is a good idea to space out engines for greater stability of VTOL craft, helps to avoid capsizing or loosing control @ low altitude. That goes double in case of heavy cargo lifters or narrow-bodied vessels.
The problem is that extra part between engine and main hull introduces at least 2 extra joints (engine-outrigger-hull), which only gets worse with every extra pair of rotors, longer outriggers or in case of low mass of this part. In case with heavy cargo or particularly powerful engines this whole contraption may start to flex (even with KJR), which impairs maneuverability AND may attract Kraken, esp. with new physics system.
Another thing is visuals. Two nice models glued together with some stock truss or strut is... kinda wrong. It sticks out like a sore thumb, at least in my opinion. That is also why i mentioned B9 Part Switcher, since you can potentially make outrigger optional, thus giving option to stick with original appearance.
And lastly, i'd argue that Near Future Construction-style truss outrigger would fit quite nicely, esp. if you would be really-really generous and add a bit of plumbing inside, like fuel line and(or) power cabling.

Best I can say is that I'll consider it. I worry that any solution isn't versatile enough, in that you only get one fixed length from an integrated piece and then you'd just need to add more pieces later to draw the engine further out. 

53 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Having played with the fans a bunch, I'm finding them quite difficult to integrate into wings when I want to, and end up building complex nasty things. I think I'll be making a variant of the 7.5m and 3.75m fans , either now or some time in the future, that has integrated wing root pieces to make the net footprint square and make using them as part of wings easier.

Read my mind.  The other way would be to make the outer ring thick enough that wings could be integrated via part clipping, but if you're up for a set of different models square housings is definitely the better way to make wing integration possible. 

On 6/7/2016 at 2:15 PM, Nertea said:

Eh, do not like that. Why not just put a wing or other strut there?

I don't intend on doing this. There's nothing stopping you from writing a patch for it though.

When it's done.

If I write a patch for it, will you package it as an optional feature, or would you mind if I make my own mod on CKAN that patches the functionality in?  I don't want to step on anyone but I think it's an important feature for anyone with a heavily modded install.. and I'm assuming that most people using this mod are also using quite a few others, although I coudl be wrong there.

On 6/9/2016 at 3:08 PM, ss8913 said:

If I write a patch for it, will you package it as an optional feature, or would you mind if I make my own mod on CKAN that patches the functionality in?  I don't want to step on anyone but I think it's an important feature for anyone with a heavily modded install.. and I'm assuming that most people using this mod are also using quite a few others, although I coudl be wrong there.

I don't really dictate how anyone uses this mod, but the goal of my packs is always to make them as individually compatible as possible. If you write a patch, I'll indeed bundle it. I in fact used to bundle an older MFT patch before the big model redo, but dropped it because the patch was apparently out of date. 

Thanks for your prerelease. *Going to test it now* ^_^

But Nertea, please take your time. you've a life even if somebody growls after an update. don't pay attention of those guys.

Thanks for your time we'll be patient :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Uploaded version 2.2.0:

• KSP 1.1.3 update
  • Upgraded bundled ModuleManager to 2.6.25
  • Upgraded bundled Firespitter
  • Switched from BDAnimationModules to DeployableEngines for all engine animation functionality
  • Switched from IFS to B9PartSwitch for all model/part switching functionality
  • Added IVA blocking meshes for both Mk4 cockpits and the crew cabin
  • Added sound loops for turboprops
  • Added USI Life Support compatibility patch
  • Added HVR-ONE, HVR-TWO, HVR-THREE heavy lift fans
  • Added Mk4 'Skate' Tailpiece
  • Added ARV-50-2 Heavy Symmetric RCS Blister
  • Added Mk2A 100X Aviation Fuel Tank
  • Tweaked CUTLASS and BROADSWORD engine FX
  • Fixed orientation of the surface attach node on the 2.5m precooler and fuel tanks
  • Fixed CLS passability for the Thunderhawk cockpit
  • Added workaround for Thunderhawk cockpit's integrated docking port and control directions
  • Fixed propeller spinners being shown on models in the parts list
  • Made a WIP part invisible in the research facility and in search
  • Corrected a few inconsistent masses in some parts

Spacedock is being super slow, so that link might take a bit...

Edited by Nertea

On 6/28/2016 at 6:02 AM, SmashBrown said:

Now we need wings with a space in them to put those in. Side note; I bloody love this pack, it blows everything else out the water, that docking part in the 7 seater cockpit.... sweet Jesus it's glorious.

No need. The lift fans have tweakable buttons in the VAB/SPH that allow you to toggle wing segments on and off around them.  Nertea thought of everything! :D

And I agree, it does blow everything else out the water. :)

On 7/2/2016 at 3:18 PM, emerald said:

All fuselages have the same amount of fuel, e.g. 16000 lf, which only fits for the large one, not the smaller ones.

Guess I'll have to fix that. 

Ohh, ducted fans. Wonderful! You might wanna include a picture of them in the OP though. I've been looking for oxygenless atmospheric engines and it's easy to miss out on this mod if one is glossing over threads looking for something like that. The turboprops are great too; the way their fins change angle depending on the throttle is a nice touch. They look and perform a lot more like space-age tech than any other props I've seen or used.

I've got a minor visual bug to report though (first post in this page of the thread suggests that you know already but I guess it can't hurt to say): While in airbreathing mode, the HVR-THREE fans stop spinning on a moving craft after they've spooled up to max. At least I think that's the condition under which they stop.

Also, where did the 2.5m fuselages go?

Edited by Guest

I was missing a few parts in my career save (even a fresh one) and it seems like the CTT patch for the propfan, turboprop, and HVR3 liftfan reference a tech that isn't in CTT.

If someone is in a career/science save could you take a look and see if you have these parts?

@PART[mk4turboprop-125-1]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
    @TechRequired = highEfficiencyFlight
}

Edited by antilochus