[1.10.x] Mark IV Spaceplane System (August 3)

Nertea

5 hours ago, LionGuy said:

hello i have problem none of my parts show up can any one help me i have been having this issue with lots of other mods too

is there any other mods that add a new flat

cargo ramp?

Typically an install issue. Follow the instructions in the readme.txt.

7 hours ago, Sharpy said:

I have a problem with RasterProp in MK4.

It works with stock craft, but in the Vulture cockpit I'm only getting the static screens. (haven't checked the other cockpit yet.)

Also, the ceiling is missing when IVA'ing from 2 side seats. :)  (this person seems to have the same problem.)

The RPM support is old and should be deprecated. Maintaining it is a bunch of work that I don't want to do. I eagerly accept contributions for fixing it. 

No idea why bits of the IVA are missing form some angles. Very frustrating to me, some people also see this, but I don't in my game! I will look into it post 1.2

• 2 weeks later...

Mark IV Update Info:

After a considerable bunch of cfg work, I think I've finished updating this to 1.2. The remaining obstacles are the IVAs. Because of poor IVA design, the IVAs don't actually fit inside the real part (Tardis-esque). That's the root of the problem. I'll spend some time investigating this to see if I can fix/minimize the issues. Maybe late next week or next weekend for an actual update. 

On 15/10/2016 at 9:35 PM, Nertea said:

Mark IV Update Info:

After a considerable bunch of cfg work, I think I've finished updating this to 1.2. The remaining obstacles are the IVAs. Because of poor IVA design, the IVAs don't actually fit inside the real part (Tardis-esque). That's the root of the problem. I'll spend some time investigating this to see if I can fix/minimize the issues. Maybe late next week or next weekend for an actual update. 

... if its not a problem related on orientation (example: the part orientated in a direction and the IVA pointing totally in another) or, eventually, the model itself very different (extreme example: a cube inside a sphere, with corners popping out :P) there is a way to "move" the IVA around, using CFG editing.

I did it pretty often in a lot of mods for my personal use (and for BDB one, placing the Apollo IVA by cfg editing with the "offset" command inside INTERNAL definition). If you wanna an help, you could find me around (I was almost going to start a personal update to 1.2 for myself... so if we can speed things up working together... :wink:)

Honestly i wouldn't worry too much about IVAs.

A good IVA is a very nice thing but it is also the least important part of a part. :)

What i am try to say is... If IVAs are a lot of work just release without them. Updating IVAs later, at a slower pace, doesn't break any craft anyway.

My opinion at least.

On 10/15/2016 at 6:08 PM, Falcon Coupe said:

In the work you have done to update the mod, have you already fixed the reverse thrust from the turboprops not working?

It still eludes me. 

8 hours ago, Araym said:

... if its not a problem related on orientation (example: the part orientated in a direction and the IVA pointing totally in another) or, eventually, the model itself very different (extreme example: a cube inside a sphere, with corners popping out :P) there is a way to "move" the IVA around, using CFG editing.

I did it pretty often in a lot of mods for my personal use (and for BDB one, placing the Apollo IVA by cfg editing with the "offset" command inside INTERNAL definition). If you wanna an help, you could find me around (I was almost going to start a personal update to 1.2 for myself... so if we can speed things up working together... :wink:)

It's not nearly that simple, unfortunately. 

Hello

I got the last version of Mark IV system 2.2.1 and in KSP 1.1.3, I cannot connect any cargo bay or fuselage to the Vulture cockpit.

I need to use a cubic octogonal strut to join both parts, then adjust it so that it's well aligned....Is there a trick, because it works perfectly with the standard cockpit?

On 10/17/2016 at 8:52 AM, Vrana said:

A good IVA is a very nice thing but it is also the least important part of a part. :)

What i am try to say is... If IVAs are a lot of work just release without them. Updating IVAs later, at a slower pace, doesn't break any craft anyway.

My opinion at least.

They're a lot of work, but honestly they're mostly done, they just suffered from a lot of issues related to the stuff introduced in 1.1. I have to fix this because it's awful. Luckily, I've fixed this for the Thunderhawk cockpit, and am some fraction of done for the Vulture. 

On 10/15/2016 at 6:08 PM, Falcon Coupe said:

In the work you have done to update the mod, have you already fixed the reverse thrust from the turboprops not working?

Blargh I fixed it now!

3 hours ago, gilflo said:

Hello

I got the last version of Mark IV system 2.2.1 and in KSP 1.1.3, I cannot connect any cargo bay or fuselage to the Vulture cockpit.

I need to use a cubic octogonal strut to join both parts, then adjust it so that it's well aligned....Is there a trick, because it works perfectly with the standard cockpit?

I never had any problems like this before. What do you mean.. is the node missing?

5 hours ago, gilflo said:

Hello

Does the Vulture cockpit have a built-in docking port and animation, and did you have TweakableEverything?  If so, it may be caught in a "misbehavior" (not a bug per se, since it's doing exactly as it's told to do) by TweakableDockingNode.  The intent is to prevent stuff from being attachable to docking ports with deployable covers (e.g. the shielded docking port with the shield closed), but in practice it also caught docking ports with lights and other non-cover animations.  You can either activate whatever animations it has to fool TweakableEverything into thinking that the part is uncovered, or there's a patch I dropped in the TweakableEverything thread to remove its attachment-preventing behavior

On 17/10/2016 at 4:52 PM, Vrana said:

My opinion at least.

IVAs can use a lot of RAM. I recall, a few KDP versions ago,a set of Station parts that had hugely detailed IVAs. I ended up removing most of the IVA data, because I hardly ever wanted to look at the interiors. It makes some sense for a cockpit, with a Kerbal looking out at the world as she controls a craft. It didn't seem to make much sense for a view of four of five Kerbals just sitting there, with incredibly detailed labels one every storage drawer.

The latest version of KSP is a bit easier on the RAM, but that doesn't excuse an extravagant IVA with no choice for the Mod user.

If somebody is using Module Manager anyway, it seems quite practical to have a basic light-weight IVA, with an optional component with the IVA-specific models and textures, and the necessary Module Manager patch file.

Is it worth the effort? That's not my choice. Worst case, as long as you keep file locations clearly defined, I can do my own edit.

Update 2.3.0 is available on Spacedock and Dropbox. Curse will follow eventually. Please do not ask me about CKAN.

• KSP 1.2
  •  Dependency update
  • Electric drive fans now function below 0.1 atmospheres
  • Added 1.2 features to parts
    • Thunderhawk cockpit can now function as a control pointAll RCS blocks converted to ModuleRCSFX, adds sound and new FX
  • Fixed ARV-50-2 Heavy Symmetric RCS Blister not showing up in career
  • Fixed missing cross sectional profile for Mk4 Crew Cabin
  • Added missing part search tags to all parts
  • Fixed reverse thrust on turboprops
  • Corrected instances of inconsistent manufacturer names
  • Fixed some typos in some part descriptions
  • Moved all cargo bay parts to the Payload category
  • Moved all docking parts to the Coupling category
  • Reexported all engine FX with correct layering to fix interaction with atmospheric effects
  • Increased breaking force/torque of all 2.5m nacelles
  • Increased BROADSWORD thrust to 530/820 from 490/720, increased vacum Isp slightly
  •  Increased CUTLASS thrust to 470/700 from 430/670, increased rocket Isp to 225/345 from 185/340
  • Fixed some bugs in the cockpit IVAs. Still not perfect but at least they're less obvious now.

28 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Update 2.3.0 is available on Spacedock and Dropbox. Curse will follow eventually. Please do not ask me about CKAN.

• KSP 1.2
  •  Dependency update
  • Electric drive fans now function below 0.1 atmospheres
  • Added 1.2 features to parts
    • Thunderhawk cockpit can now function as a control pointAll RCS blocks converted to ModuleRCSFX, adds sound and new FX
  • Fixed ARV-50-2 Heavy Symmetric RCS Blister not showing up in career
  • Fixed missing cross sectional profile for Mk4 Crew Cabin
  • Added missing part search tags to all parts
  • Fixed reverse thrust on turboprops
  • Corrected instances of inconsistent manufacturer names
  • Fixed some typos in some part descriptions
  • Moved all cargo bay parts to the Payload category
  • Moved all docking parts to the Coupling category
  • Reexported all engine FX with correct layering to fix interaction with atmospheric effects
  • Increased breaking force/torque of all 2.5m nacelles
  • Increased BROADSWORD thrust to 530/820 from 490/720, increased vacum Isp slightly
  •  Increased CUTLASS thrust to 470/700 from 430/670, increased rocket Isp to 225/345 from 185/340
  • Fixed some bugs in the cockpit IVAs. Still not perfect but at least they're less obvious now.

Thank you for the update(s) and all your hard work!

I'm willing to bet that the odd behavior you're seeing in that screenshot is due to the not-perfect way that KSP handles mirroring of non-symmetrical parts. IMO the easy solution for that is getting Editor Extensions Redux and just tweaking the parts into alignment manually. It's a little more work, but with EER you can actually get the same level of accuracy and precision that stock mirroring provides.

As for getting 1k EC (I'll assume per second) per fan, the only thing that I know of that packs that kind of power is a nuclear reactor from Near Future Electrical or KSPI-E.

Personally I use KSPI-E reactors. The major reason I use KSPI-E is because it has warp drives, and I hate sitting in time warp waiting for Hohmann transfers. This basically means I get the reactors "for free" with the warp drives.

Edited by SciMan

On 10/22/2016 at 0:56 PM, pheenix99 said:

I can't seem to build a plane that wants to fly to save my life :(

Could someone perhaps post a link or 2 to their craft so I have a decent starting point?

How big a spaceplane are you looking for?  I have my 2000 ton monstrosity that can easily lift 200t into orbit.  However, I use the procedural wings mod.  I find that that mod works well with the mark iv system . 

If your planes are having trouble getting off the ground then make sure the center of lift is behind the center of mass

52 minutes ago, Bdyer said:

How big a spaceplane are you looking for?  I have my 2000 ton monstrosity that can easily lift 200t into orbit.  However, I use the procedural wings mod.  I find that that mod works well with the mark iv system . 

If your planes are having trouble getting off the ground then make sure the center of lift is behind the center of mass

I think my issues are stemming from wing design....procedural wings? can't say I've heard of it

Edited by pheenix99

On 10/23/2016 at 3:39 PM, pheenix99 said:

I think my issues are stemming from wing design....procedural wings? can't say I've heard of it

basically it allows you to place a special wing part and the use ing 3 keys adjust the wing to whatever size you want so you can get massive 1 part wings