[1.10.x] Mark IV Spaceplane System (August 3)

Nertea

Love this mod, I think this should be integrated like SP+. One thing though; would it be possible to change the name of the stock parts to Mk I and Mk II and (in 0.90), Mk III. Just because it drive me crazy. I'm strange like that.

Anyway, amazing mod will definitely be using it a lot in the future. :)

Love this mod, I think this should be integrated like SP+. One thing though; would it be possible to change the name of the stock parts to Mk I and Mk II and (in 0.90), Mk III. Just because it drive me crazy. I'm strange like that.

The stock parts are already numbered Mk1 and Mk2. Or do you mean specifically "Mk I" and "Mk II" instead of "Mk1" and "Mk2"?

How are the pods meant to be used?

They have attachment points above and below on the flatsurface. Not on the sides.

Attaching them "upright" on the side of the hull suffers from clipping issues.

Attachking on the buttum of the hull will result in a COT off from COM.

I have reverted back to using MK2 parts for "in wing" pods. That seems to work faily well

I believe they were primarily intended to be wing pods above or below (like a B-1B bomber) like you said, not "in wing". Although if you enable part clipping in the debug menu (Alt-F12) you should be able to rig it somehow to be in wing. If you check out page 13 of this thread, you can see a picture that Nertea posted from "Thunderbirds" that was an influence in pod design.

Edited by Raptor9

Here's my SSTO Spaceplane, it lifts an orange jumbo to 100 KM circular orbit with fuel to spare, using NEAR aerodynamics.

bBxAAg1.png

pkeKoJF.png

KVeBsbt.png

27CkabL.png

Unfortunately it flips out and kills everyone when trying to maneuver, turn or land with it. :( If anyone is really handy with weight distribution, aerodynamics and fuel pipes, and would like to take a stab at helping me fix it, here's the craft file. It uses MarkIV, Mechjeb, and Modular Rocket Systems.

Edited by BadManiac

The stock parts are already numbered Mk1 and Mk2. Or do you mean specifically "Mk I" and "Mk II" instead of "Mk1" and "Mk2"?

Yes, I do. I think that if the Mk Iv is in Roman numerals, then they should ALL be in Roman numerals (OCD alert). I think they look better for numbering things (Especially Mk. Iv Ect.)

Yes, I do. I think that if the Mk Iv is in Roman numerals, then they should ALL be in Roman numerals (OCD alert). I think they look better for numbering things (Especially Mk. Iv Ect.)

I'm not trying to speak for Squad, Nertea, or any other modders out there, but this Mark IV is a mod. Saying that stock parts should fall in line with the naming convention of a mod is kinda...off (for lack of a better word).

The next comment is sarcasm from one mildly OCD person to another :):

You annotated Mk IV as "Mk Iv"...shouldn't roman numerals be "IV"? While we're quibbling here...:sticktongue:

EDIT: Nertea might have named this mod MkIV instead of Mk4 to distinguish it from another Mk4 mod made by TouhouTorpedo a while back that was an extension of the legacy Mk3 body shape. TT's Mk4 has since been depreciated, however.

Edited by Raptor9

.tga would be no problem at all, I basically just need a base photoshop readable texture to put RGB layers over. In a perfect world a .psd with a layer that's just your UV map is what you want for kerbpaint but a .tga is serviceable.

I'm not trying to speak for Squad, Nertea, or any other modders out there, but this Mark IV is a mod. Saying that stock parts should fall in line with the naming convention of a mod is kinda...off (for lack of a better word).

The next comment is sarcasm from one mildly OCD person to another :):

You annotated Mk IV as "Mk Iv"...shouldn't roman numerals be "IV"? While we're quibbling here...:sticktongue:

EDIT: Nertea might have named this mod MkIV instead of Mk4 to distinguish it from another Mk4 mod made by TouhouTorpedo a while back that was an extension of the legacy Mk3 body shape. TT's Mk4 has since been depreciated, however.

I for one also prefer roman numerals to Mk.-series notations. That said, alphabetizing schemes work better with arabic ordinations. Mk. 1, Mk. 2, Mk 3, etc., will all be listed "in order," whereas roman numerals are treated as actual "words" for ordering purposes in most meaningful environments (such as sorting through subfolders in your GameData folder, or sorting through parts in the SPH / VAB.)

I'm going to leave it as Mk IV :P. Anyone who want to change stock Mk-naming can probably do so via a relatively simple MM config.

I would like to Request Tweakscale implementation, to let me bring these parts up to 3.75m/5m scale- the ability to carry 3.75m parts on a 5m rocket.

I'll try to add it in. I'm just in the process of finishing textures for the extended fuselages and would like to get them in the patch, but I expect TS isn't too hard.

.tga would be no problem at all, I basically just need a base photoshop readable texture to put RGB layers over. In a perfect world a .psd with a layer that's just your UV map is what you want for kerbpaint but a .tga is serviceable.

Alright, I'll see what I can do for you.

By the way, I love looking at what people build :). Keep posting, y'all.

Bunch o' awesome stuff

Could you perhaps implement a standard RPM display? The NearFutureProps is awesome and the high def screens look great, but its annoying to jump around the cabin to look at all the different screens. The standard RPM displays are have many more screens all right near each other so it is possible to see all you need to in just one Kerbal's perspective. so yeah, either standard or B9 style displays, or more NearFuture screens all right next to each other. great mod. still working on getting a successful SSTO and/or VTOL Thunderbird 2

http://i.imgur.com/27CkabL.png

Unfortunately it flips out and kills everyone when trying to maneuver, turn or land with it. :( If anyone is really handy with weight distribution, aerodynamics and fuel pipes, and would like to take a stab at helping me fix it, here's the craft file. It uses MarkIV, Mechjeb, and Modular Rocket Systems.

Do you mean it flips out when trying to land with the big orange fuel tank in the hold?

Speaking of securing things solidly inside the hold for transport. I finally figured out a KAS Rig that will allow me to drive even large vehicles up the back ramp into the cargo area of my Thunderbird SSTO Transport and secure them in place solidly enough for transport.

Here in these pics you see a big fuel truck made of mostly Lackluster Labs parts pretty much filling the entire bay. It's tensioned into place by the 4 winches on the side of the bay (and THANK YOU NERTEA for making an angled section up there between the vertical walls and the upper doors as a handy place to put stuff like that!!!!).

Then once that's done, I had a Kerbal grab the struts from the KAS Box and set up the links.

(And let me tell you, THAT WAS A PAIN IN THE A**!!! My next revision of the plane will put a second KAS box along one side at the REAR of the Cargo bay so I can use TWO Kerbals to do this instead of SQUEEZING a single one past the sides of that damn truck! Barely enough room! I think that part of the operation took an HOUR.)

But once it's all done, it's locked down securely enough for flight. I've tested this - it works! The rover doesn't fall through the floor! I was able to deliver that fuel truck to another continent and land...

And... that's where the next revision of the Thunderbird will be. I found out it's NOT good at wilderness landings. I knocked off all the bottom engines on landing. Kerbals and cargo were safe though! :D

Just need to add some more robust landing gear. And airbrakes. To the drawing board! :D

cHVDlMu.png

hUPWtUM.png

Very nice set of parts!!! With that said my I present to you and all fallowers the THUNDERBIRD 2

Based on the ols show that I loved as a child.:cool:

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg484/BHS2012x/THUNDERBIRDS/screenshot4_zps5ea420b9.png

Now to fix the fuel usage issue....

Really all you have to do to help with the fuel usage is change those aerospikes to standard jets.

One thing you might consider, if you want to do it with part-clipping, is clip the aerospikes (or some other small aperture rocket motor) inside your VTOL jets.

That way if the spool-up time on the VTOL jets is causing you problems such as - you can't correct the downward speed fast enough without over-compensating and shooting back up into the air -

Then have your rocket augments on their own action group key and flip them on and off as needed to help arrest your downward speed. That way you get the best of both worlds for your VTOL operations - fuel efficiency and on-demand throttle precision.

Do you mean it flips out when trying to land with the big orange fuel tank in the hold?
No, it flips out when landing empty, or when trying to just turn after takeoff to come back for a landing. Basically it's a nightmare to fly any maneuvers that aren't straight (using NEAR).

I've tweaked it more and moved the wings back slightly to make sure CoM is always forward of the CoL regardless of fuel situation, but it's still effing hard to fly.

No, it flips out when landing empty, or when trying to just turn after takeoff to come back for a landing. Basically it's a nightmare to fly any maneuvers that aren't straight (using NEAR).

I've tweaked it more and moved the wings back slightly to make sure CoM is always forward of the CoL regardless of fuel situation, but it's still effing hard to fly.

It needs more tail to fly with NEAR. It needs way more tail to fly with NEAR. You need something like a giant vertical wing out the back acting as a stabilizer, with the tail surfaces and elevator on top.

1.jpg

Note the proportion of tail to airplane. It needs to be big to keep something big stabilized and controllable. The one on your craft is not enough, and the wide body constantly shields it from the airflow whenever you pitch up.

BTW Nertea - this isn't directly related to your parts, but I thought I'd post these to show what else you've inspired me to design and fly.

TB-1 is go! F.A.B.! :D

http://i.imgur.com/EGZfsAu.png

http://i.imgur.com/Y4RsKyt.png

Whoa that's pretty sweet too.

http://i.imgur.com/pMIB5Vi.png

I can't wait for the extended pieces, this is wobbly bugger given it's length :sticktongue:

Love it! So much fire. I need to make custom effects for the SCIMITARs!

Could you perhaps implement a standard RPM display? The NearFutureProps is awesome and the high def screens look great, but its annoying to jump around the cabin to look at all the different screens. The standard RPM displays are have many more screens all right near each other so it is possible to see all you need to in just one Kerbal's perspective. so yeah, either standard or B9 style displays, or more NearFuture screens all right next to each other. great mod. still working on getting a successful SSTO and/or VTOL Thunderbird 2

No, but you are free to do it, and I'll include it!

1.1.0 is uploaded!

Evidently I didn't get the adapters done, after the 3 extended fuselage parts I don't really want to do hull plating for a while :P. Maybe next I'll do something with no plating that's nice and simple. Engines or something.

Highlights of this update include some better mod interop (better FAR support, DRE, TweakScale), better performance due to radically simplified colliders, and of course, extended fuselages and cargo bays! Enjoy! Curseforge link will be, as usual, behind.

• Added basic Deadly Reentry MM configs
  • Added basic TweakScale MM configs
  • Fixed a clipping error in the Mk4 RPM Cockpit IVA
  • Fixed intake area for Heavy Structural Intakes
  • Adjusted thrust and thrust curve for SCIMITAR engine in FAR/NEAR
  • Adjusted and optimized colliders on LFO/LF Fuselages, Cargo Bay, Crew Cabin, Cockpit, Service Compartment, Drone Core, Adapters for better performance and symmetry
  • Adjusted all cargo bay floors, hopefully things will fall through less frequently
  • Redid colliders on cargo doors and service compartment top, should be more symmetrical now
  • All Mk4 part connections now use size 3 attach nodes instead of size 2 (should decrease wobble)
  • Cargo tail, all adapters, all tail pieces, nosecones can no longer be surface attached
  • Fixed surface attach node on Crew Cabin, LF Fuselage, LFO Fuselage, Cargo Bay
  • Parts can no longer be attached to the Mk4 docking nosecone
  • Added missing description to Mk4 nosecone
  • Fixed a mesh seam on the Mk4 Triple Adapter
  • Added Extended Mk4 Cargo Bay (triple-length cargo bay)
  • Added Mk4 Extended Liqid Fuel Fuselage
  • Added Mk4 Extended LF+O Fuselage

I used similar values for the DRE configs to the ones included in DRE for the Mk2 parts. Let me know if this is hugely wrong.

Oh, and I'll keep that mini challenge open until this Friday.

Edited by Nertea

FYI: DRE settings for the Scimitar are a lil off....( blow up at anything about 50% throttle in air breathing)

@PART[mk4scimitar]:NEEDS[DeadlyReentry]:Final

{

@maxTemp = 2000

@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],0

{

@heatProduction = 200

}

@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],1

{

@heatProduction = 325

}

}