Boeing X-37b and Atlas V replica

Hi all,

I am very happy to be able to show you my new replica. The Boeing X-37b with Atlas V launch vehicle.

2myr9yu.jpg

The first time I tried to make this I used the new parts and it looked good but also exactly the same as all the other SP+ X-37 I could see..

So I decided to really push the limits and try for a very close approximation of the shape.

m8zasg.jpg

I also wanted this to be fully functional in the same sense that the real one is. So that meant I need a cargo bay and some sort of payload.

The real function of the real one is a secret so we can but guess.

I came up against a real problem as I wanted the cargo bay to close for landing. This seemed an impossibility..

To get around the issue I have turned the satellite cargo into a cargo door re-attacher too! Its fun to chase it down and a nice little challenge to re-attach.

You can see this in the video.

Here are a few more pics:

zircx5.jpg

25kneva.jpg

2m5m5ww.jpg

5po6mo.jpg

2py2st3.jpg

There we have it.

The launcher needs to settle a little before lift off and gentle taps to keep on course, Its the same launcher as my Curiosity Atlas V so same rules apply.

The X-37b itself glides quite well, it took a while to stabilize it! There is enough fuel in it to deorbit and enough RCS in the satellite payload to change orbit multiple times to,

you know... Do secret stuff that definitely doesn't involve the satellites of other nations..

A quick word of warning, it is part heavy. The X-37b itself is 500 parts and the total with launcher is over 800. This is ok for me but might not be for everyone.

Here is a video showing a full mission, including cargo door re-attach:

Thank you for looking. I hope you enjoy flying it as much as I enjoyed making it.

DOWNLOAD

MJ

Edited by Majorjim!

Every craft you post is a masterpiece. Makes me want to get a new computer so I can handle your creations and try to match them with my own!

Thanks Gus! I put a hell of a lot of effort into these craft.

I love how you did the paneling

Thanks man, they are perfect for heat tiles aren't they!

Does it use partclipping?

If by 'part clipping' you mean did I arrange the parts in such a way as to create a very accurate replica. Yes, yes it does.

if you need help with moving parts maybe i can help :)

Not possible with the space I have to work with sadly. My solution is the best I think. Thank you though. :)

Edited by Majorjim

No by part clipping I mean using alt F12 cheating. But it is very good and you really did part clip a lot if you use your definition.

LOL I see, ok. Yeah I have it on every time I build. You cant build anything complex and small without it.

Looks great MJ! I like the detail of the shape and the Atlas V is great as well. :)

Thanks Woopert. :) Its really fun to fly too!

Edited by Majorjim

Very good apparently, or they have a pc for all but ksp and one for ksp with a lot of ram.

RAM is a vital component, but KSP tends to hammer a single CPU thread for physics. That's why I wonder how well it would run on an intel 5820K hot clocked to 4.8 GHz. (NO2 cooling for 10 GHz? :D )

EDIT: Heck, use a RAM disk. XD :P

lol, As you can see in the video the framerate is good. My CPU is an i7 4790k 4.4ghz. 16Gb ram.

lol, I think its also worth mentioning that Jim cooked his last CPU+MOBO... while no one could say conclusively that it was because of the high part count of his crafts, think it may have been a contributing factor... :P

a worthy sacrifice dude I must say. beautiful creation. :)

lol, I think its also worth mentioning that Jim cooked his last CPU+MOBO... while no one could say conclusively that it was because of the high part count of his crafts, think it may have been a contributing factor... :P

I attempted a scaled infinity replica on my old laptop... might have contributed in some mobo caps blowing out. XD XD

Thanks dood, and, Yes old CPU and MOBO couldn't hack the pase! Onward and upward!!

Maybe next I will make a craft half the size with 1000 parts! Just try and stop me!

Just brilliant!

Love your solution for the cargo bay door... pure genius. Hats off to you sir. :cool:

Thanks man!

And LOL @ the person who rated this 1 star! Jealously is a cruel mistress. :sticktongue:

Edited by Majorjim

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone flown this here? There have been quite a few downloads so someone must have attempted it. Are peeps turned off by the part count?

I plan to rebuild this beast using the new editor gizmos to reduce the part count a little.

Merry Kristmas all!

MJ

I flew it, Majorjim. It's absolutely fantastic, basically the only problem for others might be part count (my cpu is a total beast, can handle 800 parts with ease so I might be able to test any upcoming project you have)

Awesome thanks matey! Did you manage to redock the cargo bay door?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.