Memory usage went up?

Hi all,

I'm experiencing some ( common ) memory issues on my modded 0.25 x86 install. The game takes 3.2 GB at startup, I can play smoothly but sometimes it crashes ( the games doesn't freeze, it just goes back to desktop ). It usually happens when switching between facilities. I'm on Win7 x64, 6GB of total ram ( never gets full )

My modlist is:

AmbientLightAdjustment

B9

Better Atmospheres

DRE

DistantObject

DockingPortAlignment

EVE

FASA launch clamps only

FAR

InfernalRObotics

KAS

Kerbal Alarm Clock

KIDS

KJR

KER

KSP-AVC

KSP Interstellar

SelectRoot

KW Rocketry

PartCatalog

PlanetShine

PreciseNode

RealChute

SCANSat

Crowd funded ScienceDefs ( well, not actually a mod )

SmartParts

StageRecovery

StationScience

Stock Bugfixes

TAC fuel balancer

TAC-LS

Texture Replacer

Toolbar

Trajectories

Transfer Window Planner

Tweakscale

Universal Storage

Vanguard parachutes

I'm using Aggressive ATM but it didn't change memory usage compared to the Basic one...

I've read on B9 readme that this mod already contains a .cfg file for ATM, but I didn't understand what to do with this file. Should I replace the "stock" b9 cfg in ATM folder or I don't have to do anything?

This high memory usage is kinda strange, since in another install I used to start at about 2.8 GB. Well, I had less mods ( no StationScience, SmartParts, Transfer Window Planner and FASA clamps ) but I don't think that only these 4 relatively small mods can impact so much on memory usage! Moreover, on the other install I have PWings and ksp Advanced Fly-By-Wire, which I'm not using now.

Thank you in advance

Edited by Agost

The only things I can think of: do you have different resolution texture packs for the visual mods (like Better Atmospheres)? Does this install have a newer version of a rocket part pack with more memory-devouring textures? The only fix I can think of is to prune down your memory usage a bit: I can't explain the difference in memory usage, but the crashes are likely to be KSP running out of memory.

The only things I can think of: do you have different resolution texture packs for the visual mods (like Better Atmospheres)? Does this install have a newer version of a rocket part pack with more memory-devouring textures? The only fix I can think of is to prune down your memory usage a bit: I can't explain the difference in memory usage, but the crashes are likely to be KSP running out of memory.

I only have "stock" BA and EVE. I'd like to add some modded textures for Kerbals to use with the new Texture Replacer in-game feature...

However, updating to Texture Replacer 2.0.1 seemed to solve some problems, since I've notoced that my previous install missed some files. Now I'm at ~2.9 GB on startup, but I still don't know what to do with B9 config file

1. make a shortcut to your game executable

2. add "-force-opengl" to the path of the shortcut.

this should save ~ 1gb. Anyway i think the game is just not playable atm. I have a scenario with only 10 ships each 25 parts and i get 5 frames on my 4.8ghz i5 2500k. Thats really really poor.

Edited by crush3dice

1. make a shortcut to your game executable

2. add "-force-opengl" to the path of the shortcut.

this should save ~ 1gb. Anyway i think the game is just not playable atm. I have a scenario with only 10 ships each 25 parts and i get 5 frames on my 4.8ghz i5 2500k. Thats really really poor.

I solved by reinstalling everything. Probably a bad mod installation. The real problem now is in this thread...

However, your poor performance can be caused by openGL itself ( it is known for having lower performance vs dx9 in KSP ): just use ATM

The frames are similar on my computer. I have made a thread on that including benchmarks with 32/64bit and opengl/dx9. ATM doesn't save enough ram for me and the game runs much more instable with less free ram.

Edited by crush3dice

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.