~ awesome aircraft thread ~

segaprophet

Vladimir Putin visited my hometown yesterday. He brought 3 IL-96s (2 -300PUs and one -300), and an IL-76 which transported his car. I skipped/swapped all of my classes yesterday in order not to miss this very-very rare occasion. It was really difficult to get even into the vicinity of the airport, therefore I couldn't get to a good spotting location without the fence.

I know it isn't the most efficient aircraft, but look, how gorgeous it is.

niTvtia.jpg

Angela Merkel visited us just ~2 weeks ago, and in contrast with Putin's 4 large aircraft, she came with an A319.

4EC59d2.jpg

krappy quality, I know

Both leaders stayed just for hours, leaving on the same day they arrived.

Edited by jmiki8

dbmorpher and zekes- love the F-104! The saying in Germany went "to get a Starfighter, buy a small patch of land and wait." :sticktongue:

Seriously, how can you not love a plane with the name "The Missile With a Man In It?".

The one that started it all:

Orville_Wright%26flyer1909.jpg

and the Piper Grasshopper:

L-4-Grasshopper.jpg

Ok, so it's completely fictional. Still pretty cool looking.

http://rob.com/pix/var/albums/RC/crazy_rc/firefox.jpg

You must think in Russian to operate it, I hear. (One of my favorite fictional planes, too, and it has aged very well.)

A pic in every post, so I give you the Mirage 4000:

Dassault%20%20Mirage%204000%20Jet%20Fighter%20Aircraft.jpg

Developed as a private venture to be a larger, more capable twin-engined version of the Mirage 2000, it never found any buyers and never got past a single prototype.

Not wishing to appear a pedantic little know-all, but that should be RATO for rocket assisted takeoff, not JATO for jet assisted takeoff.

You appear to be technically correct - the best kind of correct - but in common nomenclature apparently both can be used.

The term JATO is used interchangeably with the (more specific) term RATO, for Rocket-Assisted Take Off (or, in RAF parlance, RATOG for Rocket-Assisted Take Off Gear).

Source.

Edited by Camacha

1-f-1280.jpg

F4F held its own in the first year of WW2, a very even match with the A6M (Zero). Superior armament and armor allowed pilots to live and learn from mistakes (Zero pilots usually only ever made one mistake, and paid with their lives).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.