~ awesome aircraft thread ~

segaprophet

MD-11(F). Too bad they only use them as freighters now, I always wanted to fly on one :(

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/54/Touchdown!_FedEx_MD-11_main_gear_making_contact.jpg

Oh my god. Oh my god. MD-11s. I want. Who cares if their predecessor had a not-so-good safety record?!

Speaking of airliners, I think the good old Airbus A340-300 deserves a place here, after Airbus halted it's production in 2012.

240139.jpg

v6BPNTL.gif

(Sorry for the huge images.)

The F-14 Tomcat:

http://www.fimfiction-static.net/images/story_images/124653.jpg?1376450974

Most beautiful jet fighter to my eye, plus I watched too much Top Gun as a kid.

I agree with you totally... There's just something intimidating seeing this aircraft coming towards you, especially if your only hope is a Russian made MIG... :cool:

f14_tomcat_l5.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Love the Arrow, an interesting tidbit is that when the program was cancelled many of the engineers ending up working with NASA on Mercury and Gemini.

A pic in every post, the XF-108 Mach 3+ interceptor:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5e/F-108-8x.png

And it seems that the new interceptor has a lot in common with another experimental aircraft, the XB-70.

XB-70+Valkyrie+007.JPG

I know I'm going to raise eyebrows with this one but I'm partial to the good old "Diesel 10". I've always been partial to airliners rather than military aircraft. The 747 is an impressive beast that I would have told you was my favorite when I was a kid, but the DC-10 has since won me over. I like the utility of it. There's a good reason you see so many of them being converted to MD-10 freighters. They are the proverbial "brick szithouse" of modern airliners. Their extensive use of titanium structure wards off fatigue and allows them to continue to safely operate with high cycles. They got a bad rap in the early days but a lot of that was the result of poor maintenance rather than poor design. The MD-10 conversion rejuvenates the systems and avionics. You're going to see them flying long after aircraft of similar vintage are beercanned.

http://bp3.blogger.com/_AvpKXiHeVcA/RekPtcCHj6I/AAAAAAAABcQ/diyM-7eSceM/s400/31.jpg

Im glad someone posted this, in flight sim my favorite was a modified DC6B with a spoiler like a DC7. I have to say reading the crash report this was one of the most abused coomercial aircraft in the history of aviation. These were at tge end of the piston engine proppelled AC, and so they were quckly move on to lessor occupations.

Any idea why the outboard thrust reversers are not deployed?

One of them is probably out of operation for some reason, but using the other outboard reverser isn't worth the hassle of dealing with asymmetric thrust when the runway is long enough.

Also, MOAR AIRLINERS! Boeing 737-600. I just love its unique looks. It's so short and stubby, and so ridiculously low! They actually had to use specially designed CFM56's - ones with a smaller fan diameter and the gearbox mounted on the side instead of under the engine - just to make it fit under the wing. That's what gives the intake its cool non-circular shape. Another fun little detail on the 737 series is the way the main landing gear works, there are no doors so you can still see the sides of the wheels when they're in the retracted position! And look at the size of that vertical stabilizer compared to the rest of the plane, it's HUGE!

7ab5APv.png

NT5rfTM.png

737under.jpg

Edited by CaptainKorhonen

I shot this yesterday. Boeing 777F, a very rare sight at Budapest Airport, starting its long journey to Singapore. It's the heaviest two engined aircraft after the 777-300ER with a whopping 347,8 ton MTOW.

icRQXPJ.jpg

Edited by jmiki8

One of my favourites: The Airbus A380, second (third?) largest aircraft ever built, largest airliner, and largest aircraft to enter mass production.

Airbus_A380_blue_sky.jpg

Here's a picture of the sunset over Siberia as I flew my A380 in FSX (Microsoft Flight Sim X) from London to Tokyo...

UjdBraG.jpg

Then there's the new A350:

A350_First_Flight_-_Low_pass_02.jpg

As for military planes: The Sukhoi-35:

Sukhoi_Su-35S_Medvedev-1.jpg

One of the only 2 jet fighters to enter production with 3 dimensional thrust vectoring (the other being the PAK FA), making it likely the most manouvreable jet fighter ever built.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.