~ awesome aircraft thread ~

segaprophet

I occasionally hear them, once in a year, flying around. You can't confuse this deep and long heard turboprop roaring with anything.

My favorite it on the very other end of scale.

Has anyone thought if it's possible to make a man-powered aircraft? Ask your not-so-tech-fan friends if it's possible. Most likely they'll say "no". But this plane was the first to fly figure-8 to win Kermer prize.

Paul McCready is the engineer that made an aircraft that was the first to fly 1 mile figure 8 and then over the Channel (La Manche). While other teams spent months building perfect aircrafts, McCready used a fast iteration approach: very simple materials (pvc, aluminum tubes, metal wires) allowed to rebuild an aircraft in a couple of hours. Months compacted to hours allowed him to build a successful model in half a year.

1128px-Gossamer_Albatross_II_in_flight.jpg

MP-JM-Condor-NG-.jpeg

I don't mean to sound political, but why did they put the modern day German flag fin flash on a WWII plane from (can't say the name on the forums) WWII era Germany? Seems like they're associating the two countries together when they're something people would rather not have go hand in hand. It's like they're claiming work for a plane that was designed by a tyrannical country's military of the past, one that committed atrocities that one should not be proud of  adding the modern day flag just makes it look like the people restoring the planes are proud of that past country's actions and engineering. (meaning, WWII Germany and not Germany itself)

I like vexillology by the way, that's why I'm curious.

Another cool plane by the way.

RQ-11_Raven_1.jpg

Edited by Woopert

I don't mean to sound political, but why did they put the modern day German flag on a WWII plane from (can't say the name on the forums) WWII era Germany? Seems like they're associating the two countries together when they're something people would rather not have go hand in hand. It's like they're claiming work for a plane that was designed by a tyrannical country of the past. (meaning, WWII Germany and not Germany itself)

I like vexillology by the way, that's why I'm curious.

Note that the flag is near the plane's modern registration number. The flag represents the country in which the plane is currently registered (similar to ships flying flags), it's not meant to be historically accurate any more than the registration number.

Edit: XB-70:

xb-70_rear.jpg

"Let's make a bomber with performance similar to an SR-71, six afterburners ought to do it. Let's make the wip tip angle adjustable to better ride the supersonic shockwave, and put it in a package out of a schoolboy's fantasy."

Edited by Red Iron Crown
Mandatory plane pic.

Ah, makes sense, thanks for clarifying. :) I knew they wouldn't do something like that. Don't get me wrong, I love modern day Germany but like most everyone in this world, WWII Germany is something to despise (again, not trying to be political but I think everyone would agree...)

Everything on this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_military_aircraft_of_the_United_States

Collection_of_military_aircraft.jpg

The stealth helicopter that the U.S. totally should have finished making after spending 7 billion USD on it, the RAH-66 Comanche

Rah-66.jpg

The king of tankbusting planes with it's 30mm GAU-8 cannon

A-10_Thunderbolt_II_In-flight-2.jpg

Another good plane, not sure if it's been posted already  the B-1B Lancer  supersonic, variable wing geometry bomber craft

B-1B_over_the_pacific_ocean.jpg

JAS-39 Gripen, a Swedish made swing role fighter aircraft (Sweden is awesome by the way)

Saab_JAS-39C_Gripen%2C_Sweden_-_Air_Force_AN2279593.jpg

Sweden's in-development stealth JAS-39E Gripen swing role fighter craft

JAS_39_gripen-5.jpg

Of course, the French designed and made Dassault Rafale

Rafale_-_RIAT_2009_%283751416421%29.jpg

European collaboratively designed Eurofighter Typhoon

Eurofighter_Typhoon_AUT.jpg

I think there's another plane I wanted to post but I can't think of it now... darn-it :P Will post if I remember, or if I'm just imagining that I wanted to post about another plane. I like most planes, as you can see.

Edited by Woopert

It's like they're claiming work for a plane that was designed by a tyrannical country's military of the past, one that committed atrocities that one should not be proud of  adding the modern day flag just makes it look like the people restoring the planes are proud of that past country's actions and engineering.

Seeing as Messerschmitt was merged into Deutsche Aerospace which was merged into EADS, and both these planes are owned by EADS, they can actually directly lay claim the design and all the engineering.

Don't get me wrong, I love modern day Germany but like most everyone in this world, WWII Germany is something to despise (again, not trying to be political but I think everyone would agree...)

Yet, that is a political statement. Please remember Rule 2.2.

Edited by segaprophet

'barfs in mouth'

That thing was an abomination, worse than even the F-35.

I present to you the Ho 229. The german jet powered flying wing.

ALcDjor.jpg

Please ignore that swastika on the jet. I can't find many acceptable quality photos of this jet.

This thread needs more helicopters.

The "Other Blackhawk", the Sikorsky S-67:

6269L-2.jpg

S67-6A.jpg

An attack helicopter based on the mechanicals of the SH-3 Sea King (similar to the Huey/HueyCobra). Also had a smallish passenger compartment, making it close to a Western Hind equivalent. Only a few prototypes were made.

Edited by Red Iron Crown
Herpy derp.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.