New Horizons

r4pt0r

13 minutes, 28 seconds before the fly-by this'll happen.

I can feel that in my bones. :confused:

Haha, that's why I'm exceptionally full of technology around me right now. If one fails, I have many other. Redundancy FTW.

Here's an awesome montage from Phil Stooke. One picture missing for a complete rotation!

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=36797

Also, check out this cool flyby animation with update surface maps:

- - - Updated - - -

"raw" image data from July 11th is finally online.

Will we get any new pics before the fly-by is over?

Yes, they said they were going to release today's photos on encounter day (tomorrow). I'm not sure if there are other planned image releases but it's likely, we're still at the July 11th photos.

From NASA TV's schedule:

July 14th

1400-1500 Media briefing, image release

(the time is in CEST, for EDT subtract 6 hours)

When does NASA TV full-time coverage start?

Pre-flyby briefing starts in 8 minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

Amazing news from Alan Stern! My notes so far:

- spectroscopy confirms that Pluto's ice cap is in fact an ice cap, made of nitrogen and methan ices

- Pluto is LARGER than expected! Radius is 1185 +/- 10 km: that means it's also less dense, so more ice in its interior

- escaping N2 from Pluto's atmosphere was detected already 5 days ago, and it's more and farther away from Pluto than we expected: either the escape rate is higher, or the transport mechanism is different than thought.

- - - Updated - - -

New color image!

CJzU1BgVEAQMcqA.png

Pre-flyby briefing starts in 8 minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

Amazing news from Alan Stern! My notes so far:

- spectroscopy confirms that Pluto's ice cap is in fact an ice cap, made of nitrogen and methan ices

- Pluto is LARGER than expected! Radius is 1185 +/- 10 km: that means it's also less dense, so more ice in its interior

- escaping N2 from Pluto's atmosphere was detected already 5 days ago, and it's more and farther away from Pluto than we expected: either the escape rate is higher, or the transport mechanism is different than thought.

- - - Updated - - -

New color image!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJzU1BgVEAQMcqA.png

I think the answer to that is in the post you put up the other day.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/102112-New-Horizons?p=2075404&viewfull=1#post2075404

Told you so, there's a polar cap on Pluto. I was right. ^_^

Congrats on your correct prediction!

Talking about Eris, we actually know for sure it's smaller than Pluto. Pluto's diameter is 2370 +/- 20 km. Eris is 2,336 +/- 12 km. So, Pluto's diameter could be as short as 2350 km, but Eris could be maximum 2348 km wide, so even in this unlikely scenario Pluto would still be larger than Eris.

I find it fascinating that Eris is smaller than Pluto yet more massive, I would have thought that they should have been similar worlds, however it appears not, at least in terms of composition.

Also, this: the methane absorption bands are much weaker in the dark regions (whale?) than in the brighter ones, according to Stern.

- - - Updated - - -

Imagine if the camera failed right now.

No, don't even, no.

We don't know that because the data on Eris has nowhere near the precision available for Pluto.

Well, according to Wikipedia (which admittedly might not be the most accurate source) Eris has a radius of 1163±6 km. Even assuming it's on the high end, and Pluto's radius on the low end, Pluto should still lead by at least six kilometers. Pretty close either way, and of course Eris's atmosphere (if it has one) might mess things up.

Too bad we can't reroute New Horizons to visit Eris next. :D

EDIT: Ninja'd.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.