New Horizons

r4pt0r

How long after the flyby until we get a "still here, data incoming "message from New Horizons? About what time EST?

Well it is supposed to establish contact at around 8:30AM tomorrow morning EST. So we should know for sure sometime in the afternoon considering the 9 hour delay.

I believe it is going to do one final pre-flyby link in a hour or so. My guess is that will be the source of our only image tomorrow.

Edited by Emperoreddy

Basically what the NASA Eyes simulation is, so yes NASA Eyes seems to be a close to exact match for the actual mission's itinerary. One thing she failed to mention is after the massive amount oh photo taking is finished (including a crescent shot of the sun fading behind it which I hope will be stunning) it will ten to the massive radio pulse from Earth for more atmosphere measurements as well as send some of the data back. Then around 10AM EST it will go back to work checking out the smaller moons and seeing it there is enough Charon shine to get any decent pictures from the dark side.

So for the rest of the night after the data link with earth it will do some work on Nix and Hydra (it did some a bit earlier so maybe we get our first looks at those two moons tomorrow), and then it goes into full work mode around 2 hours out. Taking photos with all cameras as often as possible.

It seems Pluto and Charon are now larger then LORRI's field of view which should lead to interesting photos.

Here's a cool video showing exactly what New Horizons will be examining and when it will start talking back to Earth.

https://thescene.com/watch/wired/nasa-s-simulator-puts-all-eyes-on-pluto?source=player_scene_logo

Anyone else watching it 'live' on NASA eyes?

Yep. NASA's eyes, KSP forum both up on computer, NASA coverage on phone.

Using it as and excuse to have friends over.

Also, it's turning!

Edited by Tw1

21.6 hours of radio silence started 3.5 hours ago. 18.1 to go!

- - - Updated - - -

Right now, at 06:48:08 UT, Ralph/MVIC is taking a color image of Pluto and Charon from 254 072 and 268 771 km of distance. Resolution is 4.96 km / pixel.

- - - Updated - - -

5 hours to go!!

image.png

Well it is supposed to establish contact at around 8:30AM tomorrow morning EST. So we should know for sure sometime in the afternoon considering the 9 hour delay.

I believe it is going to do one final pre-flyby link in a hour or so. My guess is that will be the source of our only image tomorrow.

Um.... where did you get that info? The last signal (E-Health 1) has already occured, from 22:23 ET until 23:15 ET July 13th. Phone Home is scheduled for around 21:02 ET today.

Sources:

Emily Lakdawalla in JHUAPL mission control

Edited by Frida Space

And now Charon! New Horizons is taking 2 images of Charon with LORRI from 178279.45 km away at est. resolution 0.88 km/pix. New Horizons is 31.8 AU from Earth.

charon.png

BTW, did anyone see the transition between Pluto and Charon! It was so cool, you could actually see the spacecraft rotate in real time.

11722475_362257047318357_6024914118407857917_o.jpg

Alice doing its thing with Nix. MVIC should have just obtained its best color image of Nix at 2.0 km/pixel, however I worry that it won't be downloaded before September 2016. My notes say the highest resolution color image of Nix to be downloaded in the following days/weeks will be downloaded at 10:29 UT July 18th, but it wll be the one obtained more than an hour ago (8:02 UT) at 3.1 km/pixel. Either way, Nix will still be 18x8 pixel wide. We should at least be able to see its color and its fancy shape.

- - - Updated - - -

120 minutes. Crap.

HOLY *****

image.png

This stunning image of the dwarf planet was captured from New Horizons at about 4 p.m. EDT on July 13, about 16 hours before the moment of closest approach. The spacecraft was 476,000 miles (766,000 kilometers) from the surface.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.