New Horizons

r4pt0r

NASA's press releases have stated that they are presented "in approximately true color", so it's probably pretty close.

Yes, but there has been a lot of discussion (amongst people which know much more photography than I do) on how much green information they can extrapolate from the red and the blue filters. I asked one of the guys on the mission and he replied, "it's as close as possible as we can get to true color", which is not really the answer I wanted because it's not really an answer, but I didn't ask further as I had a lot of other questions on topics I know better and he's a great guy and I didn't want to stress him.

Yes, but there has been a lot of discussion (amongst people which know much more photography than I do) on how much green information they can extrapolate from the red and the blue filters. I asked one of the guys on the mission and he replied, "it's as close as possible as we can get to true color", which is not really the answer I wanted because it's not really an answer, but I didn't ask further as I had a lot of other questions on topics I know better and he's a great guy and I didn't want to stress him.

While it is not really an answer, it is probably as much as we need to know. This is what we will get.

So I am watching NASA TV and they seem to be showing Apollo Soyuz docking stuff. Is there a better channel I should be watching?

Right now you mean? Livestream starts in 30 minutes. Plus, I'd love to see an Apollo docking thing!

- - - Updated - - -

While it is not really an answer, it is probably as much as we need to know. This is what we will get.

Absolutely, I'm sorry if I sounded like I was complaining, don't get me wrong, I love Pluto this mission the people behind it and, as you can tell by the fact that on every page of this thread there's an average of 2/3 posts by me you get the idea of how excited I am :D :D

Right now you mean? Livestream starts in 30 minutes. Plus, I'd love to see an Apollo docking thing!

The Apollo Soyuz Docking is just fine to watch, I just was getting worried that I was going to miss history because of it. Thanks for the information.

Hurray, they included Philea in their introductory clip :) For an organisation that has, at times, been somewhat self centered (or at least US centered), I think that is a wonderful thing to do. Space flight and science both are international endeavours. We are peers and friends. Hello ESA!

Absolutely, I'm sorry if I sounded like I was complaining, don't get me wrong, I love Pluto this mission the people behind it and, as you can tell by the fact that on every page of this thread there's an average of 2/3 posts by me you get the idea of how excited I am :D :D

You do not sound like you are compaining at all :) You made a very valid observation about the remark - it indeed does say little about how much it resembles what humans would see - and post a lot of great insights and background information. Please, continue! Your excitement is infectious in the best way possible.

You do not sound like you are compaining at all :) You made a very valid observation about the remark - it indeed does say little about how much it resembles what humans would see - and post a lot of great insights and background information. Please, continue! Your excitement is infectious in the best way possible.

Hahaha, thank you so much for your kind words! :)

I intentionally slept through the livestream of the flyby this morning because I thought it was a bit contrived, but I saw all the hype this morning. What surprises me is that there's so little hype surrounding this imminent data link? For me, this is where the rubber meets the road. Fingers crossed that we receive the signal on schedule and that New Horizons is healthy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.