New Horizons

r4pt0r

I read the probe only uses 22 watts in full swing and that the RTG produces about 10 times that. It seems power requirements are not the reason communication is cut off.

New Horizons was build a light weight as possible. It has a fixed radio dish and is not capable to point the radio dish at earth and keep the camera's pointing towards Pluto at the same time. Capturing data outweighs the need to transmit.

Now that closed approach has passed it can rotate back facing earth and transmit its findings.

It's been front page http://www.nasa.gov/ all week. Minimal digging there will find it.

Alternately this. LAG BEGONE!

http://www.space.com/17933-nasa-television-webcasts-live-space-tv.html

My bad, I went straight to NASA TV and it appeared as if I missed it.
On a side note: Why do you and RIC have no rep?

(or How RIC got his rep back daddyac. Give a dog a bone?)

You can disable the viewing of rep in your profile if you want.

I've read an article in Polish press about NH. It bore ridiculously bombastic title "Last secret of Solar System solved" - or something like that. What a pile of steaming bovine scat :mad: I bet new photos will show dozens of features, scientific community will be poking and prodding for decades to come. And the rest of the system? There are unexplored areas on Earth to this day - and in space? Eight planets, dozen or so dwarf planets, scores of moons, countless asteroids and comets... There is plenty of work for a hundred generations of scientists and discoverers - we just need to finally get our behinds in gear and go there.

I've read an article in Polish press about NH. It bore ridiculously bombastic title "Last secret of Solar System solved" - or something like that. What a pile of steaming bovine scat :mad:
Wow, I thought FOX/CNN was a purely U.S. problem...

I've read an article in Polish press about NH. It bore ridiculously bombastic title "Last secret of Solar System solved" - or something like that. What a pile of steaming bovine scat :mad: I bet new photos will show dozens of features, scientific community will be poking and prodding for decades to come. And the rest of the system? There are unexplored areas on Earth to this day - and in space? Eight planets, dozen or so dwarf planets, scores of moons, countless asteroids and comets... There is plenty of work for a hundred generations of scientists and discoverers - we just need to finally get our behinds in gear and go there.

Clickbait journalism is clickbait journalism.

We haven't even gone fishing on Europa yet.

I read the probe only uses 22 watts in full swing and that the RTG produces about 10 times that. It seems power requirements are not the reason communication is cut off.

224 watts during launch, now probably less than 200.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.