New Horizons

r4pt0r

Nine and a half years. NINE AND A HALF YEARS. Holy crap I was in middle school, 8th grade I think my god. I actually started to choke up a bit on the "Pluto outbound" comment. Cannot believe it worked like a charm. Wow... we humans. We can really do some cool things, huh? I hope so bad that in the 2020's space travel really starts getting more popular. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED TO DO. Holy crap human beings could not do something more extravagant. This is the coolest thing humans can do. I hope people can start realizing that.

Im not even part of the project and those few minutes right there just now were better then any stupid sporting event I ever seen. And ive seen a lot. My local teams could win their championships and it will feel lack luster compared to this. I feel so happy for the people involved I can only imagine what it must be like for them.

Anyway okay folks see ya next year for JUNO! YEA BABY! ...actually, wow. Juno arrives at Jupiter July 2016. Id loose it if it was the 14th..

Edited by Motokid600

I feel so happy for the people involved I can only imagine what it must feel like.

All humans are involved. This is a human endeavour. Science and curiosity know no cultural bounds.

Edited by Camacha

All humans are involved. This is a human endeavour. Science and curiosity knows no cultural bounds.

Oh, of course, but for the people who actually put there hands on the craft and built it? Programmed it... id be at a complete loss of words.

I do not want any images at all, or even a health report. Just get every last shred of data you can get.

Well, isn't that the next 16 months of the New Horizons mission? Sending over that one flash drive filled with 8 GB of data, at a speed that makes AOL dial-up look like ultra-high speed internet?

Nine and a half years. NINE AND A HALF YEARS. Holy crap I was in middle school, 8th grade I think my god. I actually started to choke up a bit on the "Pluto outbound" comment. Cannot believe it worked like a charm. Wow... we humans. We can really do some cool things, huh? I hope so bad that in the 2020's space travel really starts getting more popular. THIS IS WHAT WE NEED TO DO. Holy crap human beings could not do something more extravagant. This is the coolest thing humans can do. I hope people can start realizing that.

Im not even part of the project and those few minutes right there just now were better then any stupid sporting event I ever seen. And ive seen a lot. My local teams could win their championships and it will feel lack luster compared to this. I feel so happy for the people involved I can only imagine what it must be like for them.

Anyway okay folks see ya next year for JUNO! YEA BABY! ...actually, wow. Juno arrives at Jupiter July 2016. Id loose it if it was the 14th..

It really is awesome to see what we're capable of. I couldn't believe how they got Curiosity to Mars... lowering an SUV from a rocket-powered sky-crane just sounds so sci-fi.

I know people like to say that we just don't do anything cool in space anymore, but they're just not paying attention...

- - - Updated - - -

Well, isn't that the next 16 months of the New Horizons mission? Sending over that one flash drive filled with 8 GB of data, at a speed that makes AOL dial-up look like ultra-high speed internet?

Makes me wonder why they didn't get Google Fiber installed on the probe. Geeze :P

The further you get, the less interesting the data will be. Though I am sure smart people looked long and hard at this, it seems wasteful to throw good science time away. Just hold off until New Horizons is further away.

Though apparently NASA thought this is far away enough and maybe I should accept that as good enough - and more importanly, better than I can judge it :)

It really is awesome to see what we're capable of. I couldn't believe how they got Curiosity to Mars... lowering an SUV from a rocket-powered sky-crane just sounds so sci-fi.

I know people like to say that we just don't do anything cool in space anymore, but they're just not paying attention...

Even if you do not think the new data and science are interesting, the technologies involved should appeal to anyone even remotely interesting in anything engineering. Especially Curiosity was a pretty awesome feat of almost overindulgent technology. What is more awesome than landing a large robotic science lab on Mars? Landing it with a fancy rocket powered trapeze act, of course.

Edited by Camacha

The further you get, the less interesting the data will be. Though I am sure smart people looked long and hard at this, it seems wasteful to throw good science time away. Just hold off until New Horizons is further away.

Though apparently NASA thought this is far away enough and maybe I should accept that as good enough - and more importanly, better than I can judge it :)

Maybe we're talking about the same thing here, maybe not. But during the flyby NH has collected TONS of data. Enough to fill up that 8 GB flash drive (which when NH was built was likely the best they could get). Or so is the impression I got from the NASA site.

Problem is that the datalink is something like 1kb/s. Which, given the distance, and the (lack of) power of the transmitter, is still pretty impressive. Now, to transfer roughly 64,000,000,000 bits of data at a speed of 1,000 bits per second... you're going to need time. Lots of time. It's not that NH is collecting data over the next 16 months. It's sending data.

- - - Updated - - -

Even if you do not think the new data and science are interesting, the technologies involved should appeal to anyone even remotely interesting in anything engineering. Especially Curiosity was a pretty awesome feat of almost overindulgent technology. What is more awesome than landing a large robotic science lab on Mars? Landing it with a fancy rocket powered trapeze act, of course.

The next rover will by launched by a Russian swing, make a 720° flip and land while skidding sideways. Tadaa! The event will be featured on the gopro website.

It's not that NH is collecting data over the next 16 months. It's sending data.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? I understood this phone home was only a short interval, only to resume data collection afterwards. While I do understand a lot of time will be spent sending the stuff home, I also thought it would still collect some data after this point.

This is truly amazing. I am so glad to have an interest in this kind of stuff.

Im not even part of the project and those few minutes right there just now were better then any stupid sporting event I ever seen.

I can't agree more. This is much, much cooler than any sporting event.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? I understood this phone home was only a short interval, only to resume data collection afterwards. While I do understand a lot of time will be spent sending the stuff home, I also thought it would still collect some data after this point.

Plasma and dust experiments will continue to collect data, other than that NH will continue to send back data over the whole 16 months. By then they will be prepping for the next encounter. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.