New Horizons

r4pt0r

Plasma and dust experiments will continue to collect data, other than that NH will continue to send back data over the whole 16 months. By then they will be prepping for the next encounter. :D

And sending means no collection, right?

I know people like to say that we just don't do anything cool in space anymore, but they're just not paying attention...

The people who would say that are too focused on manned exploration, IMHO. As we've seen today with these results from New Horizons (and indeed this year with the results from the Rosetta/Philae and Dawn missions), there is plenty of amazing and inspirational stuff happening in space exploration these days.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? I understood this phone home was only a short interval, only to resume data collection afterwards. While I do understand a lot of time will be spent sending the stuff home, I also thought it would still collect some data after this point.

It's going to collect more data, but they did say it would take over a year just to send it all home. It would be interesting to know just how much science:transmission they are doing over the next few days.

- - - Updated - - -

The next rover will by launched by a Russian swing, make a 720° flip and land while skidding sideways. Tadaa! The event will be featured on the gopro website.

Red Bull sponsorship :D

It's going to collect more data, but they did say it would take over a year just to send it all home.

That is pretty much what I meant from the start: if further data is going to be collected, might it not be prudent to collect as much as you can before you are a long way off? Apparently NASA thought they are away far enough already.

That is pretty much what I meant from the start: if further data is going to be collected, might it not be prudent to collect as much as you can before you are a long way off? Apparently NASA thought they are away far enough already.

Yeah, no idea... maybe in case there was a problem they figured they had a plan to fix it and still make the best of the situation.

Here's my assumption: they're coming from the sun side where pluto is nicely lit (maybe not that strong, but still). Now they're on the dark side. I don't know how much of the sensors depend on reflected light but if they do there's not a lot of data to gather for them right now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.