[0.25] Astronomer's Visual Pack - Interstellar V2

Astronomer

Which features do you like the most?  

1,335 members have voted

1. 1. Which features do you like the most?

• Semi-Procedural Auroras
    • Clouds for Eve & Jool
    • 29MB Lightning
    • Lens Flare
    • Snow
    • Sandstorms and Surface Dust
    • Atmospheric Scattering
    • Interstellar Music Replacement
    • New Sun
    • Surface Glow

chOWmMj.png

ALMOST EVERY FEATURE IS OPTIONAL

65536 x 65536px cloud layer detail (always sharp).

All-new semi-procedural auroras for Kerbin, Duna, Eve, Laythe, and Jool.

Realistic Jool with 7 different 8K texture layers.

Snow on Kerbin, Duna, and Laythe's poles.

Added lightning to Kerbin, Duna, and Laythe (pictures by Estron).

Space-Engine-ish HD lens flares (download the updated version here).

Taller realistic sandstorms on Duna.

Blue-Green Nebula and FTL's Purple Nebula Skyboxes.

Go inside the Sun (Sunshine) or turn inside of the sun into a wormhole.

Interstellar music replacement which plays both in space and atmo, shuffled.

More advanced atmospheric scattering.

City lights greatly improved - Kerbin is now populated much more realistically.

No more black clouds on either pole of any body that has them - all cloud textures were remade.

Many more features which I don't want to spoil. Really - there's a lot of stuff.

wIwfJSi.png

The pack now contains low, mid, and high resolution textures to choose from. People who experienced crashes should no longer. Now everyone should be able to run it (and with some mods too)!

Updated Features:

Updated the Lens Flare to the one you see in my screenshots.

Added two optional Holiday Season City Lights.

Eve has denser cloud cover on lower three layers.

Jool's cloud layers have been slowed down to realistic velocities.

Improved lightning hue (made it brighter and less blue). Added lightning to Eve.

Copied my breathing sound to core mod.

Fixes:

Reformatted all B/W textures from RGB to Greyscale (but some already were).

Fixed TextureReplacer link and added a link to the Forum Thread.

Improved/added some instructions.

Removed the Sony Vegas file that was created when I edited the breathing sound.

Some of the installation process has been altered.

Removed Features:

Removed skyboxes I made. There is now a link to download them separately.

Removed Main Menu Logo (89MB). It's still available in the original release.

RB6NZz4.png

LICENSE

You may share any cfg you want as long as it is modified. Preferably so as to make it compatible with a mod (ex: RSS).

REDDIT POST

This thread is the place to post screenshots, discuss the new features, and report/fix any issues.

EVE-specific issues may have already been resolved on the EVE Forum Thread.

It seems people are having texture bugs with AlternativeTextureLoader. I would stay away from it for now.

Edited by technicalfool
Adfly link removed

Awesome, I have been waiting for this. Great work and nice style.

btw your name is my brother and my name combined. Heh

Thank you! Looking forward to seeing what people make with all of this.

There are three people. A triangle has 3 sides. This is the third update I uploaded to Curse. My user title is "Head of the Illuminati".

Coincidence? I think not. Half Life 3 confirmed.

If I'm running on 4 GB of 64 bit windows*, how would this run...

*Not that 64 bit matters with 4 GB

You should get at least 8 GB of RAM to play KSP anyhow (especially if you install other mods as well). ATM doesn't do much and OpenGL crashes on start. 8 would be perfect. More is better (until 12 GB, above useless).

Finally on KSP Forums :D

I love Interstellar, especially when [removed by Squad].

I need x64 because this thing is overwhelming a x86, even with ATM (OpenGL crashes it on start)

You should get at least 8 GB of RAM to play KSP anyhow (especially if you install other mods as well). ATM doesn't do much and OpenGL crashes on start. 8 would be perfect. More is better (until 12 GB, above useless)

Well I stream and run my own YouTube channel with only 4 GB so I don't exactly agree with your first sentence, but you are saying I should have a PC with 8 GB ram to run this properly from what I get. I should be getting a better computer in the nearing future, so this info is very useful. Thanks!

- Oh and as to your forum title, that's a cool fighter plane. I might use that as some concept...

Edited by Avera9eJoe

I downsized the aurora to 2048X1024 can't notice a difference from space and saved a few hundred MB of RAM.

Mun glow is excellent, finally a good replacement for Better Atmosphere's glow, which was great compared to stock but a little too much in the contrast department IMO. Also like how the glow appears in flight near Mun, whereas BA's glow fell off a lot when approaching the Mun in flight.

Since lightning is hard to take screenshots of, how would one modify the config to have it show up like a cloud layer so it's always visible? Then you can pause the game, take a screenshot, use the GUI to remove the lightning layer, take another screenshot and then composite them and remove any lightning you want so only a few bursts are in the final image. I use the same technique to ensure no aurora shows up in daylight in my images.

Edited by Gaiiden

Well I stream and run my own YouTube channel with only 4 GB so I don't exactly agree with your first sentence, but you are saying I should have a PC with 8 GB ram to run this properly from what I get. I should be getting a better computer in the nearing future, so this info is very useful. Thanks!

- Oh and as to your forum title, that's a cool fighter plane. I might use that as some concept...

Yeah. That was wrong. Sorry. Usually I when I play KSP, it is with many mods and much multitasking. If you want more RAM you can just get another 4 GB bar provided you have a slot and a matching system (DDRsomething).

if you made a F-302 in the stream I would be fascinated !

Yeah. That was wrong. Sorry. Usually I when I play KSP, it is with many mods and much multitasking. If you want more RAM you can just get another 4 GB bar provided you have a slot and a matching system (DDRsomething).

if you made a F-302 in the stream I would be fascinated !

:P I run stock parts and use only visual enhancers (Plus atmospheric trajectories) so that's probably why I can run fine. Yeah I would get more ram but I don't have the slot, OR the matching system XD. I don't know if I'll make one in stream but if I decide to model a plane off of an F-302, I'll send you a link ;). Anyways back on topic...

I love the planet glow for sure.

Nice! Does this use EVE 7-4, 9.2 overhaul or 9.3??

On a side note, it is about time you put up a forum thread for (atleast one of) your pack(s)! :P Will get to playing soon!

Edit 1: Also, after having a bit of a read, what's atmospheric scattering?

Edit 2: Also, in any future updates (hopefully before you go) would you consider 'removing' the white horizons, similar to the other packs?

I already have. Look through the Overhaul - PARADISE update. Although I did change the color since. Can't say when or if I will finish PARADISE.

@Astronomer

Is there any reason you removed the phosphorescent clouds on Laythe? I have been looking forward to this pack quite a bit, and it looks incredible, but between Laythe clouds and the astonishingly thin clouds on Kerbin I actually reinstalled Edge of Oblivion instead. Maybe I just installed wrong? I really loved Laythe's clouds.