[0.25] Astronomer's Visual Pack - Interstellar V2

Astronomer

Which features do you like the most?  

1,335 members have voted

1. 1. Which features do you like the most?

• Semi-Procedural Auroras
    • Clouds for Eve & Jool
    • 29MB Lightning
    • Lens Flare
    • Snow
    • Sandstorms and Surface Dust
    • Atmospheric Scattering
    • Interstellar Music Replacement
    • New Sun
    • Surface Glow

I agree with you for Eve clouds

I also use Karbonite/Karbonite +, and find Karborundum on the old Eve, it represented a bigger challenge.

But I prefer the new effect seen from the ground.

I have yet to try finding Karborundum on Eve, like the pros. I HAVE, however, landed a Karbonite-airscooping Spaceplane on Eve, with 4 Torodial Aerospikes and a Karbonite Engine... I can land it, but I could not get it to properly fly again, because it was a bit front-heavy (the big atmospheric scoop).

Also, in Career Mode, I'm gaining funds by doing drill Tests at the Launchpad or the Runway, and using the generators to keep the drills running at night (Karbonite makes you CA$H... for Funds!).

Edited by Dire_Squid

Sweet. After reducing the resolution of altostratus.png, cirrus.png, joolLayers1.png, and joolLayers2.png by half, my game no longer becomes an unplayable mess whenever Jool so much as thinks about appearing on my screen. Time to actually play with all the new shiny stuff now!

Sweet. After reducing the resolution of altostratus.png, cirrus.png, joolLayers1.png, and joolLayers2.png by half, my game no longer becomes an unplayable mess whenever Jool so much as thinks about appearing on my screen. Time to actually play with all the new shiny stuff now!

I had to resize every single cloud texture by half so that ATM would actually load it and not crash. I'll take a hit in beauty if it means I can actually play the game.

Did I do something wrong or does anyone else have stripes on their planets. Here's Eve.

EDIT: Didn't install anything from step 4, except for thunderstorms.

scotch.jpg

Oh. And maybe little more clouds for Kerbin. It seems so plain on the surface now. Total opposite of Edge of Oblivion. (Or how do I get rid of the white horizon?)

Edited by Las-pen

I've always thought your work deserved it's own forum thread, stellar work as always. Unfortunately where I am right now my internet connection literally cannot handle the awesomeness, and the download fails every time, so I'll have to wait to use it. Probably best for my computer anyhow! I do agree with some of you, from what little I can see I think I liked old Eve better, but we'll see.

Did I do something wrong or does anyone else have stripes on their planets. Here's Eve.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/f.cl.ly/items/3R0R3Z2Q2U2u3W0P3U43/scotch.jpg

Oh. And maybe little more clouds for Kerbin. It seems so plain on the surface now. Total opposite of Edge of Oblivion. (Or how do I get rid of the white horizon?)

The thunderstorms require Eve's clouds to look good.

After installing the base pack, then adding Snow, Auroras, Lightning, Dust, Eve & Jool clouds, Atmospheric Scattering, and Surface Glow I notice that Kerbin has no clouds and only one layer in EVE's ingame interface now. Was I supposed to merge the relevant configs, or is there another step I'm missing? I'm using what might now be considered the Beta release.

Edit: Looks like EVE is only loading one of the configs found in ~\GameData\BoulderCo\Clouds . In my case, the Atmospheric Scatter one, since its filename starts with 10. Testing has shown that if I move or rename this, it will load the Surface Glow config as that starts with a 12. I'm going to try merging the configs.

Edited by Einarr

That's amazing! Really like that skybox too!

I must admit though that that lens flare is too bright and it doesn't behave as it should. I can't change its behavior, but I have been able to make it blend in much better:

Here's the link to it: http://www./download/9bigl6m583i9kv2/Astronomer%27s+Lens+Flare.zip#39;s_Lens_Flare.zip

New career and a few hours with the new sun flare and it just looks brilliant! :cool:

aSgbZTh.png

☺/

So I installed this and sadly makes my computer lags like crazy, but only on certain viewpoints? Either when looking at the night side on the map or when looking at the Sun, didn't massively test this though. I really really liked Interstellar so I liked the idea of the Sun being a worm hole. But I did end up using the Interstellar music mod, and holy shoot you are a godsend! Having Coward play while I'm slowly stumbling down the atmosphere during "ascent" makes for on the best KSP moments I've ever had!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/f.cl.ly/items/3R0R3Z2Q2U2u3W0P3U43/scotch.jpg

Those are auroras from Edge of Oblivion. Need I say anything else? xD

Anyone have advice on tweaking the configs? At some point I'll get around to experimenting myself if I find time, but seeing as Astronomer is looking for pictures of lightning for his album this method will get that done and I'd be happy to take care of that for him...

Beuller?

I tried changing numbers and stuff but I don't really have any idea what the hell is doing what. I just want the lightning layer to be always visible instead of flashing on and off all over the place. Is this possible?

What has that to do with those stripes

- - - Updated - - -

Yes please

This is all information I can give you. What this tells me though is that Interstellar was not installed on a clean copy of KSP since those auroras (correct me if I'm wrong) only come with Edge of Oblivion.

EDIT: If this is not the case - something might be wrong with your ram/vram.

Edited by Astronomer

So I installed this and sadly makes my computer lags like crazy, but only on certain viewpoints? Either when looking at the night side on the map or when looking at the Sun, didn't massively test this though. I really really liked Interstellar so I liked the idea of the Sun being a worm hole. But I did end up using the Interstellar music mod, and holy shoot you are a godsend! Having Coward play while I'm slowly stumbling down the atmosphere during "ascent" makes for on the best KSP moments I've ever had!

It's Jool. Even if you're looking at it from Kerbin's surface, it will eat your computer alive.

ISSUE #1: TextureReplacer url file linking to PlanetShine. I am re-uploading the entire pack for this issue alone. Other links have also been checked - all good. Those of you who already downloaded the pack (or still are) need not to download the whole thing again. It's only the URL file that is changed. UPDATE: I also added the link to this forum thread. Will take a while to upload.

ISSUE #2: The recommended Lens Flare is outdated. As you may have noticed, it is different from the one in the screenshots. I am updating that now.

If you have already donwloaded the pack, here is a link to just the new (updated) lens flare that you see in the screenshots:

http://www./download/9bigl6m583i9kv2/Astronomer%27s+Lens+Flare.zip#39;s_Lens_Flare.zip

ISSUE #3: The non-planetshine aurora folder does not include the textures. I will fix this by breaking down the aurora installation into two steps: one with cfgs and one with textures. Also I've downsized and sharpened the detailAurora texture.

I've made an optional optimized version of the pack without making any major changes in quality or removing of any visual features (other than the Main Menu Logo which was 89MB). Full changelist is provided on the file page. The original Interstellar file will be listed as Beta (right under the optimized Release file).

UPDATE: The file was rejected for reasons unknown.

Thanks for the continued updates Astronomer! Perhaps one other issue to note...the Optional SkyBox installation instructions could probably use a little love. I was unclear on where those GalaxyTex .jpg's needed to be put in my KSP install. I believe I have since correctly determined that they go in \GameData\TextureReplacer\Default\ ? If this structure had been in place in the .zip it would've saved me a bit of Googling so I thought you might want know a specific area of installation improvement.

-Talon

Thanks for the continued updates Astronomer! Perhaps one other issue to note...the Optional SkyBox installation instructions could probably use a little love. I was unclear on where those GalaxyTex .jpg's needed to be put in my KSP install. I believe I have since correctly determined that they go in \GameData\TextureReplacer\Default\ ? If this structure had been in place in the .zip it would've saved me a bit of Googling so I thought you might want know a specific area of installation improvement.

-Talon

Thanks! I've forgotten about that.

Hey Astronomer! great looking addon! does it require lots of reasources ? (gpu, ram, etC) thanks!

It certainly does. But if you manage to get it to work on your rig (either by using opengl or ATM) it is absolutely stunning.

Ironically, I've gone back to the Edge of Oblivion cloud setup and textures so they will load consistently. I'd been running Edge of Oblivion for awhile now, and didn't even realize it had auroras since I wasn't seeing them. Apparently, EVE is only loading a single cloud layer regardless of what's in the config that ships with the visual pack (and has been for awhile without me noticing). I have to manually add the other layers ingame, by hand. Very tedious, and I'm not even certain whether I'll have to do it each time I load up KSP. Wonder if there's a setting somewhere I have to change...

I'm running EVE 7-4. Hopefully the author hasn't updated it without also incrementing the version number... I have no idea if it's the same 7-4 that can be downloaded now...

Well i've run into another issue. Using the OpenGL mod i was able to get the game to start up. I see it loading all the cloud textures but when I get to actually playing the game, all the clouds are gone. Lens flare, planet shine are still there but no clouds or anything really from the Astronomer .cfg's themselves. Any ideas?