[0.25] Astronomer's Visual Pack - Interstellar V2

Astronomer

Which features do you like the most?  

1,335 members have voted

1. 1. Which features do you like the most?

• Semi-Procedural Auroras
    • Clouds for Eve & Jool
    • 29MB Lightning
    • Lens Flare
    • Snow
    • Sandstorms and Surface Dust
    • Atmospheric Scattering
    • Interstellar Music Replacement
    • New Sun
    • Surface Glow

Hey there, maybe it's an obvious question but I couldn't figure it out by myself: is it possible to lower the frequency of the lightnings? Kerbin is sparkling right now :P

I noticed that in V2 too. I reverted back to V1's lightning for now.

Thank you for the troubleshooting ideas tygoo. I have not tried OpenGL with V1 - though I'll note it did work with V1 when I removed a few of the components I deemed unnecessary BUT framerate smoothness was a major issue.

I'm not sure what settings you're referring to that allow for "half-res" - perhaps in TextureReplacer? I could explore that further as I'm not very familiar with TextureReplacer. I do believe that would also work since when I add in the use of ATM and configure it to cut large textures in half I don't have an issue and the game is playable in standard DX9 mode.

While your suggestions are appreciated, I can currently get a playable install via a few tweaks (specifically ATM using settings to cut large textures in half). I wanted to share an observation - V2 is not functional on a clean x86 install, even with the most basic of low ram install options and on a machine with maximum RAM available to the game, WITHOUT tweaking settings beyond the install steps. And sharing a humble suggestion - there should be an install option that has smaller textures such that tweaks are not needed (which I believe was the goal of the V2 release).

My suggestion is just an observation through a lot of tweaking and testing, it doesn't need to be implemented.

-Talon

What I mean by half-res is in the KSP settings themselves, there should be a texture setting and set it to half. That also saves more RAM. OpenGL cuts most of the RAM used in half and saves a lot. I do agree that there should be a low res for people that don't want to do all this stuff like OpenGL or ATM. I myself am running V2 with 1.5GB of RAM on x86 KSP on OpenGL mode without ATM and texture editing.

I think I figured out how to tone down the lightning a bit so it's not flashy everywhere and less frequent.

Copy and Paste this into your Lightning config.

CLOUDS_SETTINGS
{
GUI_KEYCODE = N
}
CLOUD_LAYER_PACK
{
CLOUD_LAYER
{
SAVED
{
body = Kerbin
altitude = 7500
volume = False
color
{
r = 20
g = 20
b = 25
a = 1
}
main_texture
{
file = BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/lightning
scale = 1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -2.5E-05
y = 0
}
}
detail_texture
{
scale = 0.1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = 0.1333333
y = 0.2
}
}
scaled_shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 1
}
shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 0.0001
}
}
}
CLOUD_LAYER
{
SAVED
{
body = Duna
altitude = 10000
volume = False
color
{
r = 20
g = 20
b = 25
a = 1
}
main_texture
{
scale = 1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -3E-05
y = 0
}
}
detail_texture
{
scale = 0.1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = 0.1333333
y = 0.2
}
}
scaled_shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 1
}
shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 0.0001
}
}
}
CLOUD_LAYER
{
SAVED
{
body = Laythe
altitude = 6250
volume = False
color
{
r = 20
g = 20
b = 25
a = 1
}
main_texture
{
scale = 1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -1E-05
y = 0
}
}
detail_texture
{
scale = 0.1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = 0.1333333
y = 0.2
}
}
scaled_shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 1
}
shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 0.0001
}
}
}
CLOUD_LAYER
{
SAVED
{
body = Eve
altitude = 7750
volume = False
color
{
r = 20
g = 20
b = 25
a = 2.5
}
main_texture
{
scale = 1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -5E-07
y = 0
}
}
detail_texture
{
scale = 0.1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = 0.1333333
y = 0.2
}
}
scaled_shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 1
}
shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 0.0001
}
}
}
}

Those textures are not compatible with DDS Loader (unless you converted them yourself, that is). I've been requesting DDS support, but got no response.

I have finally figured out how you did the wormhole effects. Mind if I post a pic, or is that a bit spoiler-ish for people going to do it in their game?

PLZ PLZ PLZ! i really want to see that!. my ksp cant run on my computer with this mod. and ATM keeps crashing it

Does the Z-fighting is supposed to look like this?

At 15:36

I have similar issues, for the first time i thought that were storms, but in no way storms are that frequent on earth/kerbin.

That is indeed storms. Try my config that I posted earlier that tones down the storms from being that frequent. :)

"If you see blocks, switch to lower texture resolution" -What blocks? Why would higher resolution cause something that looks lower res?

Any way to restore higher cloud density like in previous pack?

Edited by DeepOdyssey

I can not seem to get the Interstellar pack to work. I'm running 0.90. Whenever I load the game, Kerbin's sky is covered in the oddest collection of red and white clouds. I've tried several clean installs of the pack, even limiting myself to installing only the core requirements, and still I'm left with the red and white Kerbin sky. Reverting to the Oblivion pack works just fine, with all the clouds where they should be.

Any clue what's going wrong?

BE8760A56DD8CA1434E3482F9482D06FEFF73EA6

I couldn't play KSP anymore without Oblivion, thanks for all the hard work you do on these mods, they have become essential. Really looking forward to being able to use Interstellar.

I can get KSP running with the mod installed ok, but in career mode, it messes up the KSC buildings and makes them seem like they are all at level 3, even though on the interiors they are not, and I don't believe they function as level 3's either. This happens when loading a save or even starting a new game, and even after deleting the mod, this issue remains. Only way I've found to fix it is to wipe the game and reinstall it. Running Steam's verify doesn't fix it. I've also tried with just with the core mod installed, without Planetshine.

Any help is appreciated.

I can not seem to get the Interstellar pack to work. I'm running 0.90. Whenever I load the game, Kerbin's sky is covered in the oddest collection of red and white clouds. I've tried several clean installs of the pack, even limiting myself to installing only the core requirements, and still I'm left with the red and white Kerbin sky. Reverting to the Oblivion pack works just fine, with all the clouds where they should be.

Any clue what's going wrong?

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/40861869081947152/BE8760A56DD8CA1434E3482F9482D06FEFF73EA6/

I got that once, deleting cloud cache in ATM fixed it, also make sure you only have Config #8 in the clouds folder. I had to delete one that was named "astronomers visual cfg" ect although I think that was because I missed it when I uninstalled oblivion.

Hey just curious if anyone else gets snow rolling through at the KSC, i'm assuming it's only meant to be at the poles of Kerbin, Layth and Duna. Haven't tried the other 2 planets but I can if needed.

Anyone else encountered this yet?

I'm still running AVP V2 on 0.25 32x version and will continue to until KSPI is updated (which will be a while) so a fix would be nice but obviously not urgent.

Edited by Juggernaut

Hey Astronomer, it seems like a lot of the textures have dimensions which aren't powers of two. Is there a good reason for this? My understanding was that non-power-of-2 textures tend to waste RAM and especially VRAM.