[0.25] Astronomer's Visual Pack - Interstellar V2

Astronomer

Which features do you like the most?  

1,335 members have voted

1. 1. Which features do you like the most?

• Semi-Procedural Auroras
    • Clouds for Eve & Jool
    • 29MB Lightning
    • Lens Flare
    • Snow
    • Sandstorms and Surface Dust
    • Atmospheric Scattering
    • Interstellar Music Replacement
    • New Sun
    • Surface Glow

@ctbram: If it crashes at loading you probably simply run out of memory. Open Task Manager and watch KSP.exe memory usage. If it goes beyond 3.3-3.5GB during loading you have too much mods.

Problem I have (0.90 / "latest" AVP) after a while playing and switch back from flight to Space Center I'm just getting an "empty" screen, meaning that there is a top and bottom GUI bar, something like a "horizon" (clouds) and the Debug Log shows lots of messages

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at Clouds.Clouds.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

Unloading 1 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0 / Dirty serialized files: 0)

Unloading 0 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 138838.
Total: 154.786713 ms (FindLiveObjects: 6.013199 ms CreateObjectMapping: 2.291205 ms MarkObjects: 146.087540 ms DeleteObjects: 0.167168 ms)

Anyone got an idea?

I managed to get it to work just fine. Although, I basically copied my EVE and Bolder Co folders over from my .25 backup. Basically make sure you are using the latest texture replacer.

Edited by Eskandare

Am i the only one who can't get the lens flare to work in 0.90? I copied the files into KSP_data and KSP_64_data and overwrote the existing ones, but no matter which ones i try they just don't change from the stock look?? I'm using a stock build of ksp, with only the steps leading up to lens flare completed..

Am i the only one who can't get the lens flare to work in 0.90? I copied the files into KSP_data and KSP_64_data and overwrote the existing ones, but no matter which ones i try they just don't change from the stock look?? I'm using a stock build of ksp, with only the steps leading up to lens flare completed..

Those files should not be used at all now; sharedassets10 no longer contains what it used to, including the sun flare file. Instead, sharedassets9 is hosting the sun flare now. Fortunately for us all, it looks like someone's uploaded the new files already. I was just about to send you on an epic quest, too, so you really got lucky :P

sunflare for .90 HERE

Thank you for this!

As for people having trouble with clouds not appearing, or planets looking boxy and red, what immediately fixed it for me was NOT doing step 3. Reinstall everything from 0, and skip step 3. Install everything else you want. It worked for me, so it's worth a shot.

Edited by Midnight Jade

So I just installed this, and all the pre-reqs, and everything is working fine and looks great except one thing ...

Kerbin has huge bright red splatches all over it.

Anyone have any advice as to what I borked up?

So I just installed this, and all the pre-reqs, and everything is working fine and looks great except one thing ...

You must be running out of memory.

I'm in the same place. I'll let you know if I figure it out (and hopefully you'll do the same if you figure it out!)

I'm in the same place. I'll let you know if I figure it out (and hopefully you'll do the same if you figure it out!)

I've been at it for a few hours and not made a lot of progress.

I had a similar issue with another mod ("better atmospheres") having a texture file, in the texturereplacer mod folders, which was causing the problem - but I think that's a dead end for this as those files aren't included in AVP.

Also - an up date - this is happening to all planets with atmospheres. Kerbin, Duna, Eve, Jool, and Laythe.

Ok - going half-steps at a time, I start having trouble when I try to install the "clouds for eve & jool" part, and I think it's related to the jool textures.

I'm going to fiddle a bit and see if I can swap out the jool cloud stuff with the jool clouds from the "better atmospheres" mod (which work great, and look good) to see if I at least get different results.

I've been able to get through Step 2 of the pack and clouds appeared just fine. When I did step 3 it all exploded. I'm going to try the same stepping that you're doing to see if that helps. It could well be running out of memory, but I'm in OpenGL mode and I'm well below 2Gb usage.

Update - It's the jool textures.

I replaced the jool textures with the ones from "better atmospheres" and everything loads up and works fine. Jool & Eve look like crap with the combination of AVP's cloud def configs and BA's graphics, so I'm going to swap in the eve & jool configs from the BA mod and hope for the best.

I don't have any of the old versions of Astronomer's pack, but comparing the cloudLayers.cfg files from default EVE and then from Astronomer's pack it seems like maybe the cloudLayers.cfg file is broken? And that file contains all the info about which clouds to apply to kerbin, eve, and jool.

Should it have more than this?

CLOUDS_SETTINGS

{

GUI_KEYCODE = N

}

CLOUD_LAYER_PACK

I don't have any of the old versions of Astronomer's pack, but comparing the cloudLayers.cfg files from default EVE and then from Astronomer's pack it seems like maybe the cloudLayers.cfg file is broken? And that file contains all the info about which clouds to apply to kerbin, eve, and jool.

Should it have more than this?

I don't think it should - similar mods all have the same cloudlayers.cfg - I think it's just to over-write the one that comes with the EVE mod so you don't get double-clouds.

Update to earlier posts - I added sections in the 8_astronomerspackwhateveritscalled.cfg cloud file with everything to do with eve and jool, copy-pasted out of the "better atmospheres" mod, and used the BA eve & jool textures. It's now working great. Eve is covered in THICK pink/purple clouds, much like Venus IRL, and Jool has a nice bright green look to it with green cloud layers that don't contrast too strongly with the "surface" colors. Combined with the AVP kerbin/duna/laythe the overall results are just incredible.

It doesn't look quite as nice, but if I leave the configLayers.cfg from EVE in place, and then drag in all the files around it except for the detaileve1 texture I've been able to move forward. The only problem is that Kerbin is fairly sparsely populated with clouds. But it's better than not having clouds at all! :)

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think it should - similar mods all have the same cloudlayers.cfg - I think it's just to over-write the one that comes with the EVE mod so you don't get double-clouds.

Update to earlier posts - I added sections in the 8_astronomerspackwhateveritscalled.cfg cloud file with everything to do with eve and jool, copy-pasted out of the "better atmospheres" mod, and used the BA eve & jool textures. It's now working great. Eve is covered in THICK pink/purple clouds, much like Venus IRL, and Jool has a nice bright green look to it with green cloud layers that don't contrast too strongly with the "surface" colors. Combined with the AVP kerbin/duna/laythe the overall results are just incredible.

Awesome! I'll do the same! Thanks tjsnh.

Do you guys happen to have active texture management installed? They were giving all sorts of problems for me.

I'm running ATM. Each time I swapped textures around it had to re-load them, and it crashed a couple times on startup but after each crash I just re-started and it was fine.

It doesn't look quite as nice, but if I leave the configLayers.cfg from EVE in place, and then drag in all the files around it except for the detaileve1 texture I've been able to move forward. The only problem is that Kerbin is fairly sparsely populated with clouds. But it's better than not having clouds at all! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome! I'll do the same! Thanks tjsnh.

I had the same problem as you guys. Kerbin looked all white (completely covered with clouds) with red areas. I had to revert back to Edge of Oblivion in order for KSP to work. Are you using AMD cards? At first I thought it was some sort of incompatibility with AMD cards. I'm using a Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X and the only way I could load without crashing/having red and white planets was reverting back to EoO.

I also tried to load KSP with each part of this pack enabled individually, it didn't work either. Anyway, Astronomer's packs are amazing, keep it up mate!

Edited by Master Tao

So can someone give me a little guidance...I got this mod to work, but I wanted to mix and match from the Renaissance Compilation mod. Specifically, I LOVE the Jool from this mod, but I think the Eve from KSPRC looks way better (I like that the clouds on Eve are so thick you can't see the surface, which is not the case in this mod). So I've tried to move over all the Eve details, but I can't get it to work. Do I need to change any cfg files? If so, what?

edit: I figured out the cfg files to edit, and with some tinkering I got Eve looking gorgeous so I'm happy. Disregard the question...

Edited by TurboSloth

Im aware of what the mods do, I wanted to know what this mod requires Texture Replacer for specifically. I don't like that mod, I want my Kerbals to look normal an in their space suit. The last version didn't require it, the lack of superfluous dependancies is why I chose this one instead of Better Atmospheres. Now it seems this author is content to gunk up my install all the same.

Obviously you aren't aware of what the mods do. Texture Replacer doesn't change Kerbal Skins. You have to download more skins and install them for that. It will literally do nothing until you install textures for it to replace.

Wow, cant belive Astronomer is completly silent about this:

https://imgur.com/a/EjqP0#0 <- Preview of his next pack "Paradise"

I found it on his Curse side...

Astronomer appears to wait until things are close to release. As well, it uses the Overhaul branch of EVE and rbray89 hasn't done a beta release of that yet. So it's doubly under development. And both likely need adjustment to KSP 0.90.