[0.25] Astronomer's Visual Pack - Interstellar V2

Astronomer

Which features do you like the most?  

1,335 members have voted

1. 1. Which features do you like the most?

• Semi-Procedural Auroras
    • Clouds for Eve & Jool
    • 29MB Lightning
    • Lens Flare
    • Snow
    • Sandstorms and Surface Dust
    • Atmospheric Scattering
    • Interstellar Music Replacement
    • New Sun
    • Surface Glow

So AVP seems to work mostly well in 1.0.2 (Linux, 64bit) for me, though some strange things happen. I'm posting it here in hope that someone knows some ways to fix it.

First of all, all the planets are definitely too bright. Not sure what part of config is responsible, I'll tune it down when I find it, but if anyone knows what causes it, I'd be thankful for a tip.

Secondly, KSP started to stutter - every 3 or 4 seconds there's a very short but incredibly annoying pause in game and music.

And finally, it broke my space telescope :(.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Weird visual artifacts like these appear when you zoom in on a planet/moon.

I cannot get Jool's clouds to load - Eve's clouds, however, seem to work perfectly fine. Nothing crashes, there just aren't any clouds on Jool.

I'm on Linux x64, runing 64bit KSP with 32GB of RAM - so I doubt memory is the issue. Additionally, I've reduced my mod list down to just HyperEdit and Astonomer's (and its dependencies.)

If I go to Jool and load up the cloud menu (Alt+N) I can select the Jool clouds config file and see layers listed; however, nothing appears to change regardless of how I manipulate them.

Any ideas on what is going wrong?

Log file: http://pastebin.com/76f9Nu6D

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/aCMioQO.png

is not an issue

Your work is much appreciated, however I still suffer crashes with this, even after only installing the core files.

The crash is in EVE, not AVP. I use AVP Edge of Oblivion which is only texture replacement for EVE and I get crashes too.

But if you use unity asset explorer to pull the "Sinflare.tex" file out of the asset file provided by astronomer and then place them into the new asset files of 1.0.2 (the number of the new asset file is "asset2" you can still use them.

This isn't correct – the correct file is "sun_flare.tex" and it is in sharedassets9.assets

The crash is in EVE, not AVP. I use AVP Edge of Oblivion which is only texture replacement for EVE and I get crashes too.

Odd, Edge of Oblivion works fine for me. It's Interstellar that crashes KSP to desktop on menu laod.

It used to be sharedasset9 now the "sun_flare.tex" is in sharedasset2. That is what I meant when I was talking about asset 2.

Um, maybe things are different on Windows, but I double checked this before I posted. I play on Linux, and the file is located in sharedassets9.assets for me - I recently replaced the sunflare.tex myself and it all works fine.

--Edit: Actually, I just double-checked it on Windows as well: the file "sun_flare.tex" is in sharedassets9.assets:

Xg9M5c3.png

Edited by UnanimousCoward

Same here. Works in OpenGL but not in DX
Odd, Edge of Oblivion works fine for me. It's Interstellar that crashes KSP to desktop on menu laod.

From my experience, these mostly seem to be caused by a RAM overflow. Since the game is 32 bit, it's limited to the 4gb a process limit. This is why back in .24 you could run astronomer's in 64 bit on DX but not at 32 bit.

I'm going to be experimenting and repacking interstellar with new configs and smaller textures. There definitely is something causing it to overflow for some reason, and I hope that the next version of EVE that is supposedly in development will help to fix some of these overflow issues.

Hi! I am with 1.0.2 and I can't make this mod to work fine. The game loads fine but Kerbin is covered all with white clouds and red big spots over them everywhere. Do someone know how to fix it? I've tried everything, clean install, only mod installed is Clouds and it won't work. Also tried with all 3 resolution levels and still no results. Thanks!

Hi! I am with 1.0.2 and I can't make this mod to work fine. The game loads fine but Kerbin is covered all with white clouds and red big spots over them everywhere. Do someone know how to fix it? I've tried everything, clean install, only mod installed is Clouds and it won't work. Also tried with all 3 resolution levels and still no results. Thanks!

Astronomer's visual pack does not play nicely with Active texture management. Go into the cache for ATM and delete the boulderco folder.

From my experience, these mostly seem to be caused by a RAM overflow. Since the game is 32 bit, it's limited to the 4gb a process limit. This is why back in .24 you could run astronomer's in 64 bit on DX but not at 32 bit.

I'm going to be experimenting and repacking interstellar with new configs and smaller textures. There definitely is something causing it to overflow for some reason, and I hope that the next version of EVE that is supposedly in development will help to fix some of these overflow issues.

Thanks for your thoughts on that. I tried converting the cloud textures to DDS format, and this ceased the crashes, but the clouds were not visible. The citylights appeared unaffected however.

Thanks for your thoughts on that. I tried converting the cloud textures to DDS format, and this ceased the crashes, but the clouds were not visible. The citylights appeared unaffected however.

Yeah, the reason the clouds don't show up is I think because of how the shaders in EVE handle making things volumetric, whereas the city lights show up fine since it's just rendering an overlay on top of Kerbin's texture.

Edit: Here's the repackage I did to reduce the RAM usage. I advise using the 2K textures when you can if you have a lot of other mods. https://mega.co.nz/#!zA9gyRCY!nb2a48qrj9MCDDsWrb46FEEsH5e3oBYokZmz-yW25tE

Edited by Short Circuit

Yeah, the reason the clouds don't show up is I think because of how the shaders in EVE handle making things volumetric, whereas the city lights show up fine since it's just rendering an overlay on top of Kerbin's texture.

Edit: Here's the repackage I did to reduce the RAM usage. I advise using the 2K textures when you can if you have a lot of other mods. https://mega.co.nz/#!zA9gyRCY!nb2a48qrj9MCDDsWrb46FEEsH5e3oBYokZmz-yW25tE

Again thanks, however it still crashes even with the repack. I'm not convinced that memory is the issue. I can run with this as the only mod, with the lowest resolution textures and forcing opengl and I still crash to desktop on load despite having at least 4 GB free for KSP before starting it up.

Again thanks, however it still crashes even with the repack. I'm not convinced that memory is the issue. I can run with this as the only mod, with the lowest resolution textures and forcing opengl and I still crash to desktop on load despite having at least 4 GB free for KSP before starting it up.

See if you can get the crash reason from the output.log file in KSP_Data. It should be near the bottom of the file.

Well, there is this. Color me confused.

AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'Clouds' from assembly 'Clouds'

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

d3d: failed to create 2D texture id=1327 w=8192 h=4167 mips=14 d3dfmt=21 [out of memory]

d3d: failed to create 2D texture id=1327 w=8192 h=4167 mips=14 d3dfmt=21 [out of memory]

DynamicHeapAllocator out of memory - Could not get memory for large allocationCould not allocate memory: System out of memory!

Trying to allocate: 89478484B with 4 alignment. MemoryLabel: NewDelete

Allocation happend at: Line:0 in Overloaded New[]

Memory overview

[ ALLOC_DEFAULT ] used: 499219920B | peak: 0B | reserved: 521475013B

[ ALLOC_GFX ] used: 598051655B | peak: 0B | reserved: 633971368B

[ ALLOC_CACHEOBJECTS ] used: 177268B | peak: 0B | reserved: 12582912B

[ ALLOC_TYPETREE ] used: 0B | peak: 0B | reserved: 0B

[ ALLOC_PROFILER ] used: 287064B | peak: 0B | reserved: 8388608B

Could not allocate memory: System out of memory!

Trying to allocate: 89478484B with 4 alignment. MemoryLabel: NewDelete

Allocation happend at: Line:0 in Overloaded New[]

Memory overview

[ ALLOC_DEFAULT ] used: 499219920B | peak: 0B | reserved: 521475013B

[ ALLOC_GFX ] used: 598051655B | peak: 0B | reserved: 633971368B

[ ALLOC_CACHEOBJECTS ] used: 177268B | peak: 0B | reserved: 12582912B

[ ALLOC_TYPETREE ] used: 0B | peak: 0B | reserved: 0B

[ ALLOC_PROFILER ] used: 287064B | peak: 0B | reserved: 8388608B

(Filename: Line: 920)

Crash!!!

Yep I get the same. I am not using ANY other mods. Tried it with a completely fresh install of KSP :( OpenGL gives me weird problems, but I still haven't tried using DX11 or 64bit KSP. Will try that if I can find some time and then report back

Same result here. Tried following every step in the lowest setting and same issue occurs.

Seems to still be related to the Boulder folder and the "Astronomer's Visual Pack" settings file.

I've tracked the point of the crashes to GameData\BoulderCo\Clouds\Textures\detail1.png. Replace this with the default EVE file and no more crashes. I even tried ATM and it causes the game to crash faster.

Edited by Farix

Yep I get the same. I am not using ANY other mods. Tried it with a completely fresh install of KSP :( OpenGL gives me weird problems, but I still haven't tried using DX11 or 64bit KSP. Will try that if I can find some time and then report back

You both are having memory overflows where the system is requiring greater than the 4gb of ram a 32 bit program can use. I'm not sure why this would be happening with you when you're only using astronomer's visual pack if you have the smallest textures unless you're not completely deleting the boulderco folder when reinstalling it.

It is caused by RAM overflow.. it just takes about 30 minutes to an hour to get there. I'm convinced EVE has a memory leak. Even with the lowest resolution textures, it inevitably crashes. Remove EVE and the game never crashes. (and yes, I am aware of the stock memory leak, this is not it)

Edited by Alshain

It is caused by RAM overflow.. it just takes about 30 minutes to an hour to get there. I'm convinced EVE has a memory leak. Even with the lowest resolution textures, it inevitably crashes. Remove EVE and the game never crashes. (and yes, I am aware of the stock memory leak, this is not it)

I'm running a heavily modded install with EVE/AVP. I can play for hours without much memory pressure.

Have you tried a clean KSP install with *only* EVE installed? Launch something into a 100km orbit, let KSP run for a couple hours and check the memory usage.

Go inside the Sun (Sunshine) or turn inside of the sun into a wormhole.

How am I supposed to go inside the sun?

Edit: IGNOREIGNOREIGNORE I SUCK AT REPLYING

Edited by theon502