[0.25] Astronomer's Visual Pack - Interstellar V2

Astronomer

Which features do you like the most?  

1,335 members have voted

1. 1. Which features do you like the most?

• Semi-Procedural Auroras
    • Clouds for Eve & Jool
    • 29MB Lightning
    • Lens Flare
    • Snow
    • Sandstorms and Surface Dust
    • Atmospheric Scattering
    • Interstellar Music Replacement
    • New Sun
    • Surface Glow

The monitor doesn't work on Mac. And which "page file suggestion"? I didn't see you link anything in your previous posts.

Here are my specs, I think.

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

Serial Number C1MHJF98DV13

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

I will have to agree with G'th

The onboard graphics aren't helping you on this one. and the page file thing was just a suggestion. I have never done it on a mac so you would need to google it and see what you find. But with 512mb and onboard graphics it's doubtful it'll play nice

> Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB < aka graphic handle by CPU + that 512 Mb is Ram memory shared in combination KSP = noo way ... if u want play stock game yes it will work but if u want use MOD with heavy texture forget it, i seen u was speak about 4k texture or 2k man that for proper real GPU ;)

here some technical specification about that emulate GPU

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-3000.37948.0.html

hope i was not sound rude

So I finally managed to get it working. The solution was amusingly simple: I just swapped out detail1.png for the one included in EVE by default. I also compressed the big textures, and now it can run even with my previous menagerie of mods (including ATM and Texture Replacer).

The only thing that's not working is Laythe. It has clouds, sure, but the bioluminescence doesn't seem to work. The clouds go dark on the night side just like on Kerbin. Any idea how to fix that?

EDIT: Never mind, I just saw that they're DLC now. I downloaded it and they work perfectly.

I really appreciate all your help. :D

Edited by Mitchz95

So I finally managed to get it working. The solution was amusingly simple: I just swapped out detail1.png for the one included in EVE by default. I also compressed the big textures, and now it can run even with my previous menagerie of mods (including ATM and Texture Replacer).

The only thing that's not working is Laythe. It has clouds, sure, but the bioluminescence doesn't seem to work. The clouds go dark on the night side just like on Kerbin. Any idea how to fix that?

EDIT: Never mind, I just saw that they're DLC now. I downloaded it and they work perfectly.

I really appreciate all your help. :D

I think it still sounds like a memory thing. The images with EVE are a bit less strenuous than those found in mods like AVP or KSPRC The tricks there are directx11, OpenGL, .dds textures or the x64 hack.

The cloud cfg's in Astronomers Visual Pack Interstellar v2 are still the best looking one's I've found. Plus AVP plays really nice with other mods :)

Edited by V8jester

I think it still sounds like a memory thing. The images with EVE are a bit less strenuous than those found in mods like AVP or KSPRC The tricks there are directx11, OpenGL, .dds textures or the x64 hack.

The cloud cfg's in Astronomers Visual Pack Interstellar v2 are still the best looking one's I've found. Plus AVP plays really nice with other mods :)

How do you get that much RAM without OpenGL?

How do you get that much RAM without OpenGL?

X64 allows a much higher memory ceiling. I regularly run stable at 7gb phisical and another 7gb virtual. I increased my page file size from 8gb to now 32gb so the virtual memory portion has a lot more wiggle room.

V8jester, how were you able to achieve that sunflare? I tried using the Unity Assets Manager to plug it into the game, but got solid grey blocks, instead.

The asset file structure has changed from .25 to 1.0.2

First open "sharedassets10.assets" from the astronomers visual "jj abrams" Lens flare. Right click "sun_flare.tex" and click "extract" this is the file you will need.

Rename Folder created by unity asset explorer from "sharedassets10" to "sharedassets9"

Now back up and open "sharedassets9.assets" from your ksp_data Directory. Right click "Sun_flare.tex" and click 'Import"

Save the changes and boom the asset9 file in your ksp_data folder has been modified with the new lens flare.

V8jester, you rock! :D

No problem bro, just here to help. Also depending on how far you want to take that, here is the updated lightning cfg file with adjusted speeds for all the planets. When 1.0.2 came out it jacked with the speed of the flashes.

CLOUDS_SETTINGS{
GUI_KEYCODE = N
}
CLOUD_LAYER_PACK
{
CLOUD_LAYER
{
SAVED
{
body = Kerbin
altitude = 7500
volume = False
color
{
r = 20
g = 20
b = 25
a = 10
}
main_texture
{
file = BoulderCo/Clouds/Textures/lightning
scale = 1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -2.5E-05
y = 0
}
}
detail_texture
{
scale = 0.1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = 0.0133333
y = 0.1
}
}
scaled_shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 1
}
shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 0.0001
}
}
}
CLOUD_LAYER
{
SAVED
{
body = Duna
altitude = 10000
volume = False
color
{
r = 20
g = 20
b = 25
a = 10
}
main_texture
{
scale = 1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -2.5E-05
y = 0
}
}
detail_texture
{
scale = 0.1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = 0.0133333
y = 0.1
}
}
scaled_shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 1
}
shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 0.0001
}
}
}
CLOUD_LAYER
{
SAVED
{
body = Laythe
altitude = 6250
volume = False
color
{
r = 20
g = 20
b = 25
a = 10
}
main_texture
{
scale = 1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -2.5E-05
y = 0
}
}
detail_texture
{
scale = 0.1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = 0.0133333
y = 0.1
}
}
scaled_shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 1
}
shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 0.0001
}
}
}
CLOUD_LAYER
{
SAVED
{
body = Eve
altitude = 7750
volume = False
color
{
r = 20
g = 20
b = 25
a = 10
}
main_texture
{
scale = 1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -2.5E-05
y = 0
}
}
detail_texture
{
scale = 0.1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = 0.0133333
y = 0.1
}
}
scaled_shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 1
}
shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 0.0001
}
}
}
}

Also if you want to show some love for AVP in youtube videos and what not, the steps are the same for the main menu logo from interstellar v1. Just open "sharedassets2.assets" and fallow the same steps. Only this time the asset file is the same so skip renaming the folder.

Edited by V8jester

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question about the lens flare component of the pack, because from the pictures of seen of this mod in action I don't think I've got it properly installed. What does "Only for 0.25.X" mean in the download's '0MB Lens Flare (updated)' directory? I copied my chosen KSP_Data folder into the Kerbal Space Program directory and overwrote the file it replaced, but I'm almost certain I've still got the stock lens flare.

Quick question about the lens flare component of the pack, because from the pictures of seen of this mod in action I don't think I've got it properly installed. What does "Only for 0.25.X" mean in the download's '0MB Lens Flare (updated)' directory? I copied my chosen KSP_Data folder into the Kerbal Space Program directory and overwrote the file it replaced, but I'm almost certain I've still got the stock lens flare.

Here are some tips I've already posted before, hopefully this helps.

64 Bit Help

If you want to run massive amounts of part / visual mods, and you have at least 16GB of RAM and a 64bit system (majority are). 64 bit mode will allow you to surpass your 4GB memory limit imposed by a standard 32 bit install. Now when you convert to 64 bit, Do not inundate the mod Devs with bug reports from your 64 bit install. Keep a 32 bit install around to test mod issues before submitting a bug report. I have yet to truly find a bug that was not repeatable in 32 bit with a properly updated mod. There is a reason Squad held back a 64 bit release this time around, and that's because bug tracking was a nightmare. As far as stability, I can play for hours without any issues. But when you start building 250+ part ships and bouncing in and out of the VAB and flight. It will crash eventually, but so will 32 bit under the same circumstances. v1.0.2 x64 is far more stable than .90 x64 ever was. If you want a kitchen sink mentality with mods, as well as not compress your textures to the resolution of a postage stamp. This is by far the best option.

Now that that's out of the way. Linked bellow is a walkthrough on how to convert to 64 bit. As well as a mod utility that will remove the 64 bit block from mods (warning I haven't used Unfixer as the mods I use don't require it - and Sarbian will hate you)

64bit Hack http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/117224-Windows-64-bit-community-workaround

64bit Unfixer http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/113069-KSP-x64-Total-Unfixer

Environmental Visual Enhancement 7-4 Help

I've been getting a ton of questions about how to get EVE running. Plain and simple. In 32 bit I only converted the three images under Boulderco/Clouds/Particles to .dds And it ran just fine. Integrated graphics are having a really hard time running EVE. This is due to the fact that KSP is a CPU hog. And when you want your CPU doing double duty to run the game and better visuals. At some point it just can't keep up. So far from what I have seen, anything bellow intel HD 4400 won't cut it.

Also if you are running a large amount of mods already you may be hitting the 4GB ceiling. Hence the 64 bit fix above. You can also try increasing the size of your page file to allot more virtual ram.

First try installing some kind of memory monitor to see just how much RAM you are in fact using. If you are hovering around 3.5 - 3.7GB on a 32 bit install a crash is immanent.

Memory Usage Monitor http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/99494-0-90-MemoryUsage-v1-20-2015-02-19

You can also try increasing the size of your page file

Win 7 Page File Adjustment: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-virtual-memory-size#1TC=windows-7

If you are bellow the memory limit and you have integrated graphics intel HD 4400 (preferably a dedicated graphics card) or better, and are still having issues. Then message me and I will try and help you out as well as further revise this help file.

Astronomers Visual Pack Interstellar v2 Help

AVP takes a little (but not a ton) of tweaking.

The core mod works with EVE 7-4 I converted the three images under Boulderco/Clouds/Particles to .dds as well as the aurora .pngs to .dds and it loaded in 32 bit.

To get the lens flares working in 1.0.2 you will need to extract the sun_flare.tex files one at a time from there old .25 asset files and place them in the new 1.0.2 asset files in the KSP_Data folder using Unity asset explorer.

Back up your asset file first!

Unity Asset Explorer http://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity/mods/27/?

Using Unity asset explorer 1.3 or newer

First open "sharedassets10.assets" from the astronomers visual "jj abrams" Lens flare. Right click "sun_flare.tex"

click "extract" this is the file you will need.

Rename Folder created by unity asset explorer from "sharedassets10" to "sharedassets9"

(folder will be automatically created in the same directory as the asset explorer .exe)

Now back up and open "sharedassets9.assets" from your ksp_data Directory. Right click "Sun_flare.tex" and click 'Import"

(It will Import from the folder you already created and renamed)

Save the changes and, boom the asset9 file in your ksp_data folder has now been modified with the new lens flare.

The same process can be used for the AVP main menu logo from interstellar V1. Repeat the above process with "sharredasset2.assets" and I believe the file is "logoFullRed_alt.tex"

The lightning does not work in 1.0.2 without cfg editing. Here is an updated file, just replace everything in the lightning cfg with this. Using notepad++ or equivalent.

Notepad++ https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.7.8.2.html

CLOUDS_SETTINGS{
GUI_KEYCODE = N
}
CLOUD_LAYER_PACK
{
CLOUD_LAYER
{
SAVED
{
body = Kerbin
altitude = 7500
volume = False
color
{
r = 20
g = 20
b = 25
a = 10
}
main_texture
{
scale = 1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -2.5E-05
y = 0
}
}
detail_texture
{
scale = 0.1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = 0.0133333
y = 0.1
}
}
scaled_shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 1
}
shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 0.0001
}
}
}
CLOUD_LAYER
{
SAVED
{
body = Duna
altitude = 10000
volume = False
color
{
r = 20
g = 20
b = 25
a = 10
}
main_texture
{
scale = 1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -2.5E-05
y = 0
}
}
detail_texture
{
scale = 0.1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = 0.0133333
y = 0.1
}
}
scaled_shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 1
}
shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 0.0001
}
}
}
CLOUD_LAYER
{
SAVED
{
body = Laythe
altitude = 6250
volume = False
color
{
r = 20
g = 20
b = 25
a = 10
}
main_texture
{
scale = 1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -2.5E-05
y = 0
}
}
detail_texture
{
scale = 0.1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = 0.0133333
y = 0.1
}
}
scaled_shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 1
}
shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 0.0001
}
}
}
CLOUD_LAYER
{
SAVED
{
body = Eve
altitude = 7750
volume = False
color
{
r = 20
g = 20
b = 25
a = 10
}
main_texture
{
scale = 1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -2.5E-05
y = 0
}
}
detail_texture
{
scale = 0.1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = 0.0133333
y = 0.1
}
}
scaled_shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 1
}
shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 0.0001
}
}
}
}

Edited by V8jester

Thanks, that absolutely worked!

However, I have another problem with the mod. If I add the the 3rd step's "Core Mod/GameData/BoulderCo" folder to my game, it always crashes during the loading screen. Without this component, but with literally everything else, the game loads up fine. What about that part of the mod could be causing this?

Edited by gerishnakov
Accidentally posted early.

However, I have another problem with the mod. If I add the the 3rd step's "Core Mod/GameData/BoulderCo" folder to my game, it always crashes during the loading screen. Without this component, but with literally everything else, the game loads up fine. What about that part of the mod could be causing this?

Try converting the three textures under boulderco/clouds/particles to .dds. That's what I had to do, to get it to run under 32bit. The dds converter is linked in my thread below if you can't find it.

The dds converter is linked in my thread below if you can't find it.

Sorry, I can't find the link you mean. I tried using an online DDS converter found just by Googling but I'm not sure I've done things correctly because replacing the PNG files with the DDS ones I made causes no clouds to appear in game.

Sorry, I can't find the link you mean. I tried using an online DDS converter found just by Googling but I'm not sure I've done things correctly because replacing the PNG files with the DDS ones I made causes no clouds to appear in game.

You are correct my bad. It's not there like I thought it was here you go. Also be sure they are "not flagged as normal"

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/98672-WIN-KSP-to-DDS-texture-converter

Try replacing detail1.png with the one from stock EVE. That solved the exact problem for me, without needing to convert the particle textures.

hi all I just discovered ckan (only NOW can one believe that:D) and saw the astronomers visual enhancement's and thought ahaaaa

this is how all the you tubers make there planet so damb pretty.

but every time I try and install this mod via ckan the game crashes on load just after its booted all the textures into mem.

(ie JUST before main screen menu.)

I am running 1.0.4 and was wondering if that had something to do with that.

all I wanted were the clouds when I went flew then the clouds and city's on kerbin when I was in orbit but nothing I do seems to work.

any help or advice on this subject would be greatly welcome.

sorry for the edit but I thought pc specs might help

OS = windows 7

cpu = intel core i5 4670

ram = 8 gigs

gfx = radeon R9270

Edited by hawk_za

hi all I just discovered ckan (only NOW can one believe that:D) and saw the astronomers visual enhancement's and thought ahaaaa

this is how all the you tubers make there planet so damb pretty.

but every time I try and install this mod via ckan the game crashes on load just after its booted all the textures into mem.

(ie JUST before main screen menu.)

I am running 1.0.4 and was wondering if that had something to do with that.

all I wanted were the clouds when I went flew then the clouds and city's on kerbin when I was in orbit but nothing I do seems to work.

any help or advice on this subject would be greatly welcome.

sorry for the edit but I thought pc specs might help

OS = windows 7

cpu = intel core i5 4670

ram = 8 gigs

gfx = radeon R9270

Did you read the last page by chance? Try these tips and if you still have no luck let us all know

64 Bit Help

If you want to run massive amounts of part / visual mods, and you have at least 16GB of RAM and a 64bit system (majority are). 64 bit mode will allow you to surpass your 4GB memory limit imposed by a standard 32 bit install. Now when you convert to 64 bit, Do not inundate the mod Devs with bug reports from your 64 bit install. Keep a 32 bit install around to test mod issues before submitting a bug report. I have yet to truly find a bug that was not repeatable in 32 bit with a properly updated mod. There is a reason Squad held back a 64 bit release this time around, and that's because bug tracking was a nightmare. As far as stability, I can play for hours without any issues. But when you start building 250+ part ships and bouncing in and out of the VAB and flight. It will crash eventually, but so will 32 bit under the same circumstances. v1.0.2 x64 is far more stable than .90 x64 ever was. If you want a kitchen sink mentality with mods, as well as not compress your textures to the resolution of a postage stamp. This is by far the best option.

Now that that's out of the way. Linked bellow is a walkthrough on how to convert to 64 bit. As well as a mod utility that will remove the 64 bit block from mods (warning I haven't used Unfixer as the mods I use don't require it - and Sarbian will hate you)

64bit Hack http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/117224-Windows-64-bit-community-workaround

64bit Unfixer http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/113069-KSP-x64-Total-Unfixer

Environmental Visual Enhancement 7-4 Help

I've been getting a ton of questions about how to get EVE running. Plain and simple. In 32 bit I only converted the three images under Boulderco/Clouds/Particles to .dds And it ran just fine. Integrated graphics are having a really hard time running EVE. This is due to the fact that KSP is a CPU hog. And when you want your CPU doing double duty to run the game and better visuals. At some point it just can't keep up. So far from what I have seen, anything bellow intel HD 4400 won't cut it.

Also if you are running a large amount of mods already you may be hitting the 4GB ceiling. Hence the 64 bit fix above. You can also try increasing the size of your page file to allot more virtual ram.

First try installing some kind of memory monitor to see just how much RAM you are in fact using. If you are hovering around 3.5 - 3.7GB on a 32 bit install a crash is immanent.

Memory Usage Monitor http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/99494-0-90-MemoryUsage-v1-20-2015-02-19

Win 7 Page File Adjustment: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-virtual-memory-size#1TC=windows-7

If you are bellow the memory limit and you have integrated graphics intel HD 4400 (preferably a dedicated graphics card) or better, and are still having issues. Then message me and I will try and help you out as well as further revise this help file.

Astronomers Visual Pack Interstellar v2 Help

The core mod works with EVE 7-4 I converted the three images under Boulderco/Clouds/Particles to .dds as well as the aurora .pngs to .dds and it loaded in 32 bit.

To get the lens flares working in 1.0.2 you will need to extract the sun_flare.tex files one at a time from there old .25 asset files and place them in the new 1.0.2 asset files in the KSP_Data folder using Unity asset explorer.

DDS Converter http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/98672-WIN-KSP-to-DDS-texture-converter

Back up your asset file first!

First open "sharedassets10.assets" from the astronomers visual "jj abrams" Lens flare. Right click "sun_flare.tex"

(folder will be automatically created in the same directory as the asset explorer .exe)

Save the changes and, boom the asset9 file in your ksp_data folder has now been modified with the new lens flare.

The same process can be used for the AVP main menu logo from interstellar V1. Repeat the above process with "sharredasset2.assets" and I believe the file is "logoFullRed_alt.tex"

The lightning does not work in 1.0.2 without cfg editing. Here is an updated file, just replace everything in the lightning cfg with this. Using notepad++ or equivalent.

CLOUDS_SETTINGS{
GUI_KEYCODE = N
}
CLOUD_LAYER_PACK
{
CLOUD_LAYER
{
SAVED
{
body = Kerbin
altitude = 7500
volume = False
color
{
r = 20
g = 20
b = 25
a = 10
}
main_texture
{
scale = 1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -2.5E-05
y = 0
}
}
detail_texture
{
scale = 0.1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = 0.0133333
y = 0.1
}
}
scaled_shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 1
}
shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 0.0001
}
}
}
CLOUD_LAYER
{
SAVED
{
body = Duna
altitude = 10000
volume = False
color
{
r = 20
g = 20
b = 25
a = 10
}
main_texture
{
scale = 1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -2.5E-05
y = 0
}
}
detail_texture
{
scale = 0.1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = 0.0133333
y = 0.1
}
}
scaled_shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 1
}
shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 0.0001
}
}
}
CLOUD_LAYER
{
SAVED
{
body = Laythe
altitude = 6250
volume = False
color
{
r = 20
g = 20
b = 25
a = 10
}
main_texture
{
scale = 1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -2.5E-05
y = 0
}
}
detail_texture
{
scale = 0.1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = 0.0133333
y = 0.1
}
}
scaled_shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 1
}
shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 0.0001
}
}
}
CLOUD_LAYER
{
SAVED
{
body = Eve
altitude = 7750
volume = False
color
{
r = 20
g = 20
b = 25
a = 10
}
main_texture
{
scale = 1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -2.5E-05
y = 0
}
}
detail_texture
{
scale = 0.1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = 0.0133333
y = 0.1
}
}
scaled_shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 1
}
shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 0.0001
}
}
}
}

And because I can't help myself :) Here is a teaser to prove it works in 1.0.4

screenshot0_zpsnbuwvdif.png~original

Edited by V8jester

wow hey thanks for the fast reply did as instructed and got me a mem watcher

looks like I was approaching and exceeding the 4 gig limit

now running happily in open gl ...with clouds and city lights .......YAY:cool:

wow hey thanks for the fast reply did as instructed and got me a mem watcher

looks like I was approaching and exceeding the 4 gig limit

now running happily in open gl ...with clouds and city lights .......YAY:cool:

Glad that worked for ya. - Now you just need the 8k planet textures linked in my thread ;)

Edit:

Actually for anyone interested here are the two most helpful files I put together in one post.

My system specs

intel i7 4790K 4.4 GHZ

GeforceGTX 970 4 GB

16GB of pc 1866 ram

Raid 1 on 2 7200 rpm drives

KSP doesn't like fast switching (alt-Tabing). To make it fast switch smoothly as well as gain a minor FPS boost. -popupwindow allows you to run in borderless windowed mode. You'll need to turn off "full Screen Mode" in game. Be sure to set your screen resolution to your monitor / TV's native resolution, or the window won't fit. To run in Borderless windowed mode add " -popupwindow" to the end of your shortcut target field.

A trick that often helps computers with good dedicated graphics cards (sometimes onboard graphics) but not so great processors, is OpenGL. OpenGL allows you to transfer more of the work load from your processor to the video card. Be aware that this is affected by the amount of dedicated memory and the speed of your graphics card. Mods will affect this limit. To run in OpenGL mode add " -forceopengl" to the end of the shortcut target field.

Now Popupwindow and OpenGL can run together. Just don't forget the spaces, your target field should look like this (KSP.exe -popupwindow -forceopengl)

Lastly I do not use it but many people have had good luck forcing DirectX 11, to bring down there memory footprint. KSP Natively runs using DirectX 9 which is more universally accepted by everyone's hardware. But if you want to give this a try place -force-d3d11 in the shortcut target field in place of OpenGL.

KSP Settings

Max physics delta time per frame: 0.03 - This helps a ton

Max Persistant debris: 25- This helps a bit when you don't have the memory to burn

Terrain detail: High

SM3 Terrain Shaders: Enabled

Scatter Density 100%

Render Quality: Fantastic

Texture Quality: Full Res

Fallback Parts Shader: True

Aerodynamic FX Quality: Normal

Edge Highlighting (PPFX): Enabled

Surface FX: Enabled

Screen Resolution: 1920x1080 - Set to native res

Full Screen: Disabled

Anti Aliasing: x2

V-sync: Don't Sync - This is the biggest performance hog

Frame Limit: 180FPS

Pixel Light Count: 8

Shadow Cascade: 4

Windows 7 Page File Settings - Mine is set to 32GB

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-virtual-memory-size#1TC=windows-7

Configure Memory Usage Monitor to auto start with -opengl and or -popupwindow using one shortcut. - Only works up to 1.0.2

Create a shortcut for memory usage monitor. (Memory monitor linked in mod list)

in the shortcut target field apply either / both (KSP.exe -popupwindow -forceopengl)

When opened, Memory usage will automatically search for "KSP.exe" to auto run the game. If you have hacked KSP to run in 64 bit mode the file you will have created will still be named "KSP.exe" So this still works with the x64 hack

Then you can rename and re icon the memory usage shortcut if you so desire.

You will now have a single icon to launch memory usage and KSP with OpenGL enabled all at once, with one shortcut.

64 Bit Windows

If you want to run massive amounts of part / visual mods, and you have at least 16GB of RAM and a 64bit system (majority are). 64 bit mode will allow you to surpass your 4GB memory limit imposed by a standard 32 bit install. Now when you convert to 64 bit, Do not inundate the mod Devs with bug reports from your 64 bit install. Keep a 32 bit install around to test mod issues before submitting a bug report. I have yet to truly find a bug that was not repeatable in 32 bit with a properly updated mod. There is a reason Squad held back a 64 bit release this time around, and that's because bug tracking was a nightmare. As far as stability, I can play for hours without any issues. But when you start building 250+ part ships and bouncing in and out of the VAB and flight. It will crash eventually, but so will 32 bit under the same circumstances. v1.0.x x64 is far more stable than v.90 x64 ever was. If you want a kitchen sink mentality with mods, as well as not compress your textures to the resolution of a postage stamp. This is by far the best option.

Environmental Visual Enhancement 7-4

I've been getting a ton of questions about how to get EVE running on 1.0.x. Plain and simple x64 Windows runs with no modifications. In 32 bit I only converted the three images under Boulderco/Clouds/Particles to .dds And it ran just fine. Integrated graphics are having a really hard time running EVE. This is due to the fact that KSP is a CPU hog. And when you want your CPU doing double duty running the game and better visuals. At some point it just can't keep up. So far from what I have seen, anything bellow intel HD 4400 won't cut it.

Also if you are running a large amount of mods already you may be hitting the 4GB ceiling. Hence the 64 bit fix above. You can also try increasing the size of your page file to allot more virtual ram as that may be another barrier you are encountering.

First try installing some kind of memory monitor to see just how much RAM and virtual ram you are in fact using. If you are hovering around 3.5 - 3.7GB on a 32 bit install a crash is immanent.

Memory Usage Monitor http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/99494-0-90-MemoryUsage-v1-20-2015-02-19 - Only works up to 1.0.2

GC Monitor http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92907-1-0-x-GCMonitor-1-2-6-A-graphic-Memory-monitor-(June-18th) - I Haven't used this before

Astronomers Visual Pack Interstellar v2

To get the lens flares working in 1.0.x you will need to extract the sun_flare.tex files one at a time from there old .25 asset files and place them in the new 1.0.x asset files one at a time in the KSP_Data folder using Unity asset explorer.

DDS Converter http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/98672-WIN-KSP-to-DDS-texture-converter

Back up your original asset file first!

First open "sharedassets10.assets" from the astronomers visual "jj Abrams" Lens flare. Right click "sun_flare.tex"

(folder will be automatically created in the same directory as the asset explorer .exe file)

Now back up and open "sharedassets9.assets" from your ksp_data Directory. In Asset Explorer Right click "Sun_flare.tex" and click 'Import"

The same process can be used for the AVP main menu logo from interstellar V1. Repeat the above process with "sharredasset2.assets" and the file you are looking for is "logoFullRed_alt.tex"

Lightning

The lightning does not work in 1.0.x without cfg editing. Here is an updated .cfg file, just replace everything in the lightning .cfg with this. Using notepad++ or equivalent.

CLOUDS_SETTINGS{
GUI_KEYCODE = N
}
CLOUD_LAYER_PACK
{
CLOUD_LAYER
{
SAVED
{
body = Kerbin
altitude = 7500
volume = False
color
{
r = 20
g = 20
b = 25
a = 10
}
main_texture
{
scale = 1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -2.5E-05
y = 0
}
}
detail_texture
{
scale = 0.1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = 0.0133333
y = 0.1
}
}
scaled_shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 1
}
shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 0.0001
}
}
}
CLOUD_LAYER
{
SAVED
{
body = Duna
altitude = 10000
volume = False
color
{
r = 20
g = 20
b = 25
a = 10
}
main_texture
{
scale = 1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -2.5E-05
y = 0
}
}
detail_texture
{
scale = 0.1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = 0.0133333
y = 0.1
}
}
scaled_shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 1
}
shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 0.0001
}
}
}
CLOUD_LAYER
{
SAVED
{
body = Laythe
altitude = 6250
volume = False
color
{
r = 20
g = 20
b = 25
a = 10
}
main_texture
{
scale = 1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -2.5E-05
y = 0
}
}
detail_texture
{
scale = 0.1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = 0.0133333
y = 0.1
}
}
scaled_shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 1
}
shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 0.0001
}
}
}
CLOUD_LAYER
{
SAVED
{
body = Eve
altitude = 7750
volume = False
color
{
r = 20
g = 20
b = 25
a = 10
}
main_texture
{
scale = 1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -2.5E-05
y = 0
}
}
detail_texture
{
scale = 0.1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = 0.0133333
y = 0.1
}
}
scaled_shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 1
}
shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 0.0001
}
}
}
}

Edited by V8jester

Glad that worked for ya. - Now you just need the 8k planet textures linked in my thread ;)

Edit:

Actually for anyone interested here are the two most helpful files I put together in one post.

My system specs

intel i7 4790K 4.4 GHZ

GeforceGTX 970 4 GB

16GB of pc 1866 ram

Raid 1 on 2 7200 rpm drives

KSP doesn't like fast switching (alt-Tabing). To make it fast switch smoothly as well as gain a minor FPS boost. -popupwindow allows you to run in borderless windowed mode. You'll need to turn off "full Screen Mode" in game. Be sure to set your screen resolution to your monitor / TV's native resolution, or the window won't fit. To run in Borderless windowed mode add " -popupwindow" to the end of your shortcut target field.

A trick that often helps computers with good dedicated graphics cards (sometimes onboard graphics) but not so great processors, is OpenGL. OpenGL allows you to transfer more of the work load from your processor to the video card. Be aware that this is affected by the amount of dedicated memory and the speed of your graphics card. Mods will affect this limit. To run in OpenGL mode add " -forceopengl" to the end of the shortcut target field.

Now Popupwindow and OpenGL can run together. Just don't forget the spaces, your target field should look like this (KSP.exe -popupwindow -forceopengl)

Lastly I do not use it but many people have had good luck forcing DirectX 11, to bring down there memory footprint. KSP Natively runs using DirectX 9 which is more universally accepted by everyone's hardware. But if you want to give this a try place -force-d3d11 in the shortcut target field in place of OpenGL.

KSP Settings

Max physics delta time per frame: 0.03 - This helps a ton

Max Persistant debris: 25- This helps a bit when you don't have the memory to burn

Terrain detail: High

SM3 Terrain Shaders: Enabled

Scatter Density 100%

Render Quality: Fantastic

Texture Quality: Full Res

Fallback Parts Shader: True

Aerodynamic FX Quality: Normal

Edge Highlighting (PPFX): Enabled

Surface FX: Enabled

Screen Resolution: 1920x1080 - Set to native res

Full Screen: Disabled

Anti Aliasing: x2

V-sync: Don't Sync - This is the biggest performance hog

Frame Limit: 180FPS

Pixel Light Count: 8

Shadow Cascade: 4

Windows 7 Page File Settings - Mine is set to 32GB

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-virtual-memory-size#1TC=windows-7

Configure Memory Usage Monitor to auto start with -opengl and or -popupwindow using one shortcut. - Only works up to 1.0.2

Create a shortcut for memory usage monitor. (Memory monitor linked in mod list)

in the shortcut target field apply either / both (KSP.exe -popupwindow -forceopengl)

When opened, Memory usage will automatically search for "KSP.exe" to auto run the game. If you have hacked KSP to run in 64 bit mode the file you will have created will still be named "KSP.exe" So this still works with the x64 hack

Then you can rename and re icon the memory usage shortcut if you so desire.

You will now have a single icon to launch memory usage and KSP with OpenGL enabled all at once, with one shortcut.

64 Bit Windows

If you want to run massive amounts of part / visual mods, and you have at least 16GB of RAM and a 64bit system (majority are). 64 bit mode will allow you to surpass your 4GB memory limit imposed by a standard 32 bit install. Now when you convert to 64 bit, Do not inundate the mod Devs with bug reports from your 64 bit install. Keep a 32 bit install around to test mod issues before submitting a bug report. I have yet to truly find a bug that was not repeatable in 32 bit with a properly updated mod. There is a reason Squad held back a 64 bit release this time around, and that's because bug tracking was a nightmare. As far as stability, I can play for hours without any issues. But when you start building 250+ part ships and bouncing in and out of the VAB and flight. It will crash eventually, but so will 32 bit under the same circumstances. v1.0.x x64 is far more stable than v.90 x64 ever was. If you want a kitchen sink mentality with mods, as well as not compress your textures to the resolution of a postage stamp. This is by far the best option.

Environmental Visual Enhancement 7-4

I've been getting a ton of questions about how to get EVE running on 1.0.x. Plain and simple x64 Windows runs with no modifications. In 32 bit I only converted the three images under Boulderco/Clouds/Particles to .dds And it ran just fine. Integrated graphics are having a really hard time running EVE. This is due to the fact that KSP is a CPU hog. And when you want your CPU doing double duty running the game and better visuals. At some point it just can't keep up. So far from what I have seen, anything bellow intel HD 4400 won't cut it.

Also if you are running a large amount of mods already you may be hitting the 4GB ceiling. Hence the 64 bit fix above. You can also try increasing the size of your page file to allot more virtual ram as that may be another barrier you are encountering.

First try installing some kind of memory monitor to see just how much RAM and virtual ram you are in fact using. If you are hovering around 3.5 - 3.7GB on a 32 bit install a crash is immanent.

Memory Usage Monitor http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/99494-0-90-MemoryUsage-v1-20-2015-02-19 - Only works up to 1.0.2

GC Monitor http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92907-1-0-x-GCMonitor-1-2-6-A-graphic-Memory-monitor-(June-18th) - I Haven't used this before

Astronomers Visual Pack Interstellar v2

To get the lens flares working in 1.0.x you will need to extract the sun_flare.tex files one at a time from there old .25 asset files and place them in the new 1.0.x asset files one at a time in the KSP_Data folder using Unity asset explorer.

Back up your original asset file first!

First open "sharedassets10.assets" from the astronomers visual "jj Abrams" Lens flare. Right click "sun_flare.tex"

(folder will be automatically created in the same directory as the asset explorer .exe file)

Now back up and open "sharedassets9.assets" from your ksp_data Directory. In Asset Explorer Right click "Sun_flare.tex" and click 'Import"

The same process can be used for the AVP main menu logo from interstellar V1. Repeat the above process with "sharredasset2.assets" and the file you are looking for is "logoFullRed_alt.tex"

Lightning

The lightning does not work in 1.0.x without cfg editing. Here is an updated .cfg file, just replace everything in the lightning .cfg with this. Using notepad++ or equivalent.

CLOUDS_SETTINGS{
GUI_KEYCODE = N
}
CLOUD_LAYER_PACK
{
CLOUD_LAYER
{
SAVED
{
body = Kerbin
altitude = 7500
volume = False
color
{
r = 20
g = 20
b = 25
a = 10
}
main_texture
{
scale = 1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -2.5E-05
y = 0
}
}
detail_texture
{
scale = 0.1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = 0.0133333
y = 0.1
}
}
scaled_shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 1
}
shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 0.0001
}
}
}
CLOUD_LAYER
{
SAVED
{
body = Duna
altitude = 10000
volume = False
color
{
r = 20
g = 20
b = 25
a = 10
}
main_texture
{
scale = 1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -2.5E-05
y = 0
}
}
detail_texture
{
scale = 0.1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = 0.0133333
y = 0.1
}
}
scaled_shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 1
}
shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 0.0001
}
}
}
CLOUD_LAYER
{
SAVED
{
body = Laythe
altitude = 6250
volume = False
color
{
r = 20
g = 20
b = 25
a = 10
}
main_texture
{
scale = 1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -2.5E-05
y = 0
}
}
detail_texture
{
scale = 0.1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = 0.0133333
y = 0.1
}
}
scaled_shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 1
}
shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 0.0001
}
}
}
CLOUD_LAYER
{
SAVED
{
body = Eve
altitude = 7750
volume = False
color
{
r = 20
g = 20
b = 25
a = 10
}
main_texture
{
scale = 1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = -2.5E-05
y = 0
}
}
detail_texture
{
scale = 0.1
offset
{
x = 0.3052678
y = 0
}
speed
{
x = 0.0133333
y = 0.1
}
}
scaled_shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 1
}
shader_floats
{
falloffPower = 4
falloffScale = 3.5
detailDistance = 0
minimumLight = -0.4
fadeDistance = 5
rimDistance = 0.0001
}
}
}
}

I'm using RSS, but wow. That is a huge help. Using stock d3d9, memory usage is 3GB even, using openGL it's 2.5GB, and using d3d11 the memory runs at 1.3GB. Amazing difference. My GPU is 3GB VRAM, with d3d11 KSP uses 2GB of that, with stock or opengl it uses 500MB or so.

Thank you!

A couple of ignorant questions if folks are willing to help:

1) In an effort to get this running smoothly with all my other mods, I manually converted all of the PNG files in /Clouds/Textures and /Clouds/Particles to DDS files (using Paint.net, saved as DXT5). And the game loaded great! But there's some very squirrely behavior, like clouds suddenly disappearing or reappearing as I pass them, or what appear to be dust storms blowing through KSC. Is this something inherent to converting the files to DDS, or did I just screw something up here? Anybody encountered similar?

2) Does it make more sense, if my goal is saving RAM / avoiding crashes, to try the DDS route, or try reducing the resolution of the PNGs?

3) I've seen some references to reducing the PNGs to half-resolution, which I assume means resizing them on a 50% scale (which should result in a file that's 25% the total area of the original). Since I'm graphically illiterate, does it have to be a 50% scale? Could I, for example, resize them on a 60% scale? 70% scale? 75% scale?

Many thanks in advance for any edification y'all can provide.