[0.25] Astronomer's Visual Pack - Interstellar V2

Astronomer

Which features do you like the most?  

1,335 members have voted

1. 1. Which features do you like the most?

• Semi-Procedural Auroras
    • Clouds for Eve & Jool
    • 29MB Lightning
    • Lens Flare
    • Snow
    • Sandstorms and Surface Dust
    • Atmospheric Scattering
    • Interstellar Music Replacement
    • New Sun
    • Surface Glow

The game does not care that you have 32Gb, to it you only have 4Gb, unless you are using the x64 bit mess.

Yes... If you go back to my original post 2 pages ago... That was the whole reason for my post. Running the x64. Have been since .24 without issue. No crashes. Ever.

Installed this into x64 .90... The option mods at steps 1-3 work fine. The ones at step 4 don't, and its not an out of memory problem.

Does anyone know how to decrease the frequency that lightning occurs? Kerbin, Eve, and Layth are fine as is, but for Duna I want it to only happen rarely. Right now I feel that it happens just too often on that planet, so I deleted it from the lightning cfg.

Yes... If you go back to my original post 2 pages ago... That was the whole reason for my post. Running the x64. Have been since .24 without issue. No crashes. Ever.

Installed this into x64 .90... The option mods at steps 1-3 work fine. The ones at step 4 don't, and its not an out of memory problem.

It doesn't matter. In Windows 64-bit both KSP and Unity have lots of stock bugs. Squad is thinking of pulling it out until they move to a new Unity version. What is very likely is that adding step 4 of the mod caused a change that made a bug mangle things. Even just increasing the memory footprint.

Most mod authors refuse to support Windows 64-bit because of the problems caused by stock bugs. Any bugs reports are likely a stock bug, and even if one can't be found, other stock bugs will prevent the author from finding the source of the bug. And in both cases they are wasting their time.

Run Windows 32-bit with OpenGl (command options " -force-opengl -popupwindw ") and you should be able to run with your mods. If not, add in ATM.

Open the Terminal, type "sudo purge" and enter an admin password when prompted. There. I just saved you $5.99 :/

Got it when free. But thanks anyway!

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know how to decrease the frequency that lightning occurs? Kerbin, Eve, and Layth are fine as is, but for Duna I want it to only happen rarely. Right now I feel that it happens just too often on that planet, so I deleted it from the lightning cfg.

You can us the lightning.cfg in the first version of AVP interstellar. Lightning is rarer on all planets.

- - - Updated - - -

http://i.imgur.com/1yY8DsN.png

Floating cities must have really taken off on Kerbin...

I knew the feelings my friend. I solved it by doing what I have said before

It appears to be coming from a problem within the install. The best way to handle it as I have found in this release (I had similar problems) is to do a fresh install/gamedata and manually reinstall everything whilst loading the game in between the installation of each step/extra. I also used basic activetexturemanagement http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-90-Release-4-3-Dec-16-2014-Active-Texture-Management-Save-RAM! Later you can re-install all of your mods.

Now this goes out to all of my forum friends! Please read this! --> http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92229-How-To-Get-Support-%28READ-FIRST%29 <--

May you have plenty of ∆v on your voyages!

detail1.png appears to be causing a crash. Everything else works, but only if I remove that one file...which is quite annoying since it appears to be key to getting clouds to work.

I've tried using lower resolution versions, and even using the 500kb file from Proot's pack, but no joy. It gets to the point where it's loading the main menu and crashes, regardless of using openGL or 32/64 bit.

Nothing has changed. Hazard-ish just wanted an earlier version of Astronomer's Visual Pack and I showed him where to find them.

Well, if there is an earlier version and a new one - there have to be some changes? :)

All I know is, that there seem to be problems with ATM and I am not getting clouds with the latest version.

But I have not tried a lot yet.

detail1.png appears to be causing a crash. Everything else works, but only if I remove that one file...which is quite annoying since it appears to be key to getting clouds to work.

I've tried using lower resolution versions, and even using the 500kb file from Proot's pack, but no joy. It gets to the point where it's loading the main menu and crashes, regardless of using openGL or 32/64 bit.

For me ATM hangs up while loading, it crashes with many files before, but relaunching gets me one file further up until joolLayers1, it will not go past this one.

I created exceptions (leaving me with little RAM to spare) for the folder, but I am still missing the clouds. Is the new EVE version incompatible with the cfg from AVPIv2 maybe?

Edited by KerbMav

For me ATM hangs up while loading, it crashes with many files before, but relaunching gets me one file further up until joolLayers1, it will not go past this one.

How long did you leave it for when it gets stuck on that one file? For me, ATM takes absolutely ages to prepare some files. When I added Endraxial’s planet textures to Texture Replacer, it took over half an hour to get them ready, but it did eventually succeed and finish loading OK.

How long did you leave it for when it gets stuck on that one file? For me, ATM takes absolutely ages to prepare some files. When I added Endraxial’s planet textures to Texture Replacer, it took over half an hour to get them ready, but it did eventually succeed and finish loading OK.

Until Windows tells me the program has crashed. :(

Hello everyone,

I didn't know where to put my question, and maybe the problem come from ATM.

I have the same issue than kerbMav. ATM crashes ksp each time near evedetail1 (a 8x8 px image). I even tried with editing this image and resave with photoshop.

Before the crash, when i look what's going on, ksp get 89% of the process, and near 3.5 Go Ram.

After a crash, when i open the dump folder of ATM, i find the images files (evedetail1 included), but when i relaunch the game, ATM restart from zero the work in the boulderco folder.

I use ksp32, W8 64, 8Go memory, and some heavy mods (B9, near future complete but engines, and astronomer's interstellar).

I prevously launched ATM, and B9 alone. It worked like a charm. And now, the B9 image are loading very fast.

Is there anything to do with the config of ATM? Maybe the boulderco file to edit?

I'll try other thing this evening (i didn't noticed, but maybe the problem come from the next images).

Anyway, i can run ksp with opengl and without ATM (and take 3-4 minutes to load), and obviously the game is out memory without opengl.

Until Windows tells me the program has crashed. :(

That sounds like you're running out of memory, then. Are you using the basic or aggressive version of ATM? If you're using basic, the aggressive one will save you more RAM at the expense of visual quality.

Have you tried running KSP with the -force-opengl and -popupwindow options? That saved me over a gigabyte of RAM. If your performance with OpenGL isn't good enough to play the game, it should at least give you enough spare memory to get it to load.

This sounds much to reasonable, but I will try it anyway, thanks! :D

Edit: So far it is working - the trick also seems to be, to not touch the computer at all - as soon as windows tries to do anything with KSP during the first ATM launch, it realizes that it is not having fun and kicks the game out of memory ... :wink:

I am fascinated as well about which files seem to take the longest - seemingly small files can take as long as a planet's texture.

Another problem I am having is that I do not get any clouds since I changed my old astronomer pack for the interstellar pack - the cfg files call for a clouds folder, but the textures are now in a folder called atmosphere?

Edited by KerbMav

I'm sorry if this has been addressed already, I looked but couldn't find anything relevant. I'm running the Interstellar pack V2 and everything seems to be working as intended, except Kerbin's clouds are outrageously dense. On the main menu, Kerbin is just a white sphere with an odd red discoloration towards the upper pole. In game when below the clouds it looks okay, although still too cloudy for my tastes. But if you fly above the clouds, the pure white comes back and you can't see anything below the clouds until you go back down.

The only other mod I have installed so far is active texture management, which I was going to hold off on until I was sure this was working properly but the game wouldn't even load without it. It would run out of memory and I could never even get to the space center. Even with the active texture management, as soon as the game loads I'm sitting at 3.2GB RAM usage. I really don't want to deal with the buggy mess of x64 again, although I will try using OpenGL if I can get Kerbin fixed. I don't know if other planets have this issue yet.

EDIT: All planets with an atmosphere are affected by this. It looks like the cloud texture you see close up just isn't fading out with distance and is repeating all over the planets.

I had exactly the same problem with ATM the last time I installed AVP last week - white with red textures obscuring planets with atmospheres. Came down to ATM crashing during startup (I guess it was running out of memory) and corrupting the texture it was working on at the time, which ended up staying in the ATM cache.

You can try poking around in the ATM texture cache and removing anything that looks like it might be related to clouds or atmosphere, and letting ATM regenerate them. I don't recall exactly which files were involved, sorry. Worst case, clear all files from the ATM cache and let it start up again. If it crashes during startup, delete the newest cached textures from the ATM cache and try again.