[Be Honest] Is it weird that I have 3 different installs of KSP on my mac?

SpaceLaunchSystem

...snip

Out of curiosity, I'm I right in guessing that most of the multiple install folk are store downloaders rather than steam users?

In my opinion you are right. Because that store download you only have to unzip and doesn't inflict the registry. Besides: Steam would automaticly update the game...

Let me see... I've got 0.23, two installs of 0.24 for my normal mods and then any crazy ones, as well as two installs of 0.25 for normal mods and crazy mods. And those 5 are just on my Windows hard drive! I've got more on my Linux and Mac installs, so probably around 10 installs of KSP stretching back to at least 0.22.

Verdict: 3 installs is not wierd. If anything, it's average or below. :sticktongue:

I also have dozens from dozens of versions... I mostly play with all mods Installed but sometimes I like to create a challenge for a specific mission and I limit myself to what mods I use. Also shortens load time. Basically, instead of creating new saves in a game, I just make a new install...

I have five on my laptop, and at least four on my parents' desktop. Mostly, they're different combinations of mods; I don't think I have anything older than .23 on my laptop or anything besides .19 or .20 on the desktop. They take up more space than all the rest of the files on my computer combined, but I have a terabyte drive, so I guess that doesn't matter. :D

Right now, I have:

• One 0.23
  • Three 0.23.5
  • Three 0.24.2
  • Three 0.25

Plus master tarballs of 0.23.5, 0.24.2, and 0.25 in case I ever need a clean copy of a version that's no longer on Steam.

It's no harder to copy an install from a Steam library to somewhere else than to do the same thing with the download from the store.

Yes its the weirdest thing I've ever heard of. What kind of strange person are you to play games on a Mac? Multiple installs are pretty normal for folks that like modding or just want archive copies of past versions but really? a Mac? :P

But there's no real issue with having several installs. The worst conflict you'll get is accidentally launching the wrong one and getting confused when the save file your looking for isn't there.

p.s. Just messing with ya on the mac bit.

Yes its the weirdest thing I've ever heard of. What kind of strange person are you to play games on a Mac? Multiple installs are pretty normal for folks that like modding or just want archive copies of past versions but really? a Mac? :P

I've got four KSP installations on this 'ere MacBook Pro laptop - the reason they're on the laptop rather than my (decently powerful) gaming PC is because KSP is fantastic for playing during commutes on the bus.

Or on trains.

Or on holiday.

Or while on a plane. (I crash-landed my first Moho lander 'cause I was busy demonstrating the game to the flight attendant. Oops.)

In my opinion you are right. Because that store download you only have to unzip and doesn't inflict the registry. Besides: Steam would automaticly update the game...

Not neccessarily, you can still pull the entire game out of the Steam directory in your File explorer (or Finder) and put it somewhere else. You *don't* need to run Steam in order to get Steam's KSP to run. When I transferred over to Steam from the store I was worried about that too. But I only open steam now to just update.

You can even take a fresh installed version with no mods or anything and .zip it up. That's also what I do. That way, I have a back up in case I royally bork my KSP or just want to reset.

Not even uncommon. I have 3 installs as well. My heavily modded 'regular' pack, one with RSS and one unmodded backup (in case I screw up my files again). I also use the backup for my laptop, cause it doesn't run smoothly with mods...

nothing to worry

Not even uncommon. I have 3 installs as well. My heavily modded 'regular' pack, one with RSS and one unmodded backup (in case I screw up my files again). I also use the backup for my laptop, cause it doesn't run smoothly with mods...

nothing to worry

Yeah I have been thinking about doing the same. Its actually a good idea to have multiple versions of KSP on your HD.

I have several installs on my Win 7 machine... One mostly abandoned one for each version (I started late, at .23). For the current version, I have a modded one (for normal gameplay) and a "challenge" one (which is setup with approved mods for whichever challenge on which I am working). I have an archive of the .zip files downloaded from Squad which can serve as a vanilla re-boot if necessary.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.