RemoteTech and Unmanned Atmospheric Drones

I think I'm missing something very obvious here. Does RemoteTech make it practically impossible to fly unmanned drones over long distances within the atmosphere?

I have a satellite network in geostationary orbit, 2,868 km away which gives me full coverage around Kerbin. The only omnidirectional antenna that doesn't break in atmosphere is the Reflectron DP-10 with a range of 500 km.

Of course, I could always just slap a Reflectron KR-7 on my plane, but that let's face it, that'll look really stupid. In real life planes, they use embedded radars or aerodynamic antennas, as seen below:

0208ANTENNA07L.jpg

Are there any mods available which have those types of antennas for RemoteTech? If not, how do people make drones with RemoteTech?

Edited by Zeenobit

Well, you need a closer set of relay networks, cause reflectron can't reach those sats 2,868 km away with its 500km range. Make 2 set of extremely cheap and disposable relays (probe core, single omni antenna, battery, solar panel, nothing else) around 100km around kerbin, 1 set equatorial, 1 set polar. That way you will have coverage to anything on kerbin and LKO. That said, I think there are those antennas in the picture from some mod, can't remember which though...

Edited by RainDreamer

There is a mod that has the blade style antenna. I don't remember what it is called but I have it installed. When I get home later I will look it up on my computer and give you the link here.

There is a mod that has the blade style antenna. I don't remember what it is called but I have it installed. When I get home later I will look it up on my computer and give you the link here.

That would be really helpful. I think I've seen that mod too, I just don't remember the name.

There is a setting in the RemoteTech_Settings.cfg ... "RangeModelType". The Standard model simply sets the maximum range of a link to be that of the shortest-range antenna. If you change it to Additive, then a long-range antenna at one end of the link can somewhat compensate for a short-range antenna at the other.

I remember reading somewhere that they recommend changing "RangeMultiplier" to 0.5 if you do switch to Additive - this adjusts the antennas back to their initial balance, otherwise you get Communotron-32's which can talk to each other from 10 Mm away.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.