When will the Curse client support KSP?

Red Iron Crown

The Curse client seems to offer some compelling features for keeping mods updated and synchronized, if it works as advertised it would be very useful. Back when the move to Curse was announced, one of the Curse people on the forums mentioned that the Curse client was being updated "this year" to remove ads and support KSP. The year is approaching its end, is there any update on whether this will happen?

(If you are about to post some Curse hate, please don't bother and move along to another thread.)

Myself I have adopted ckan which looks to have more functionality than the curse client (well, the curse client I used with WOW anyway), has no ads and will offer needed mods and recommended mods also.

You can just select RSS for example and all the needed mods install.

I`m sure you must be aware of it so I am probably preaching to the choir but it seems to me to have more potential. It can`t (AFAIK) get the mods from curse yet though so it is restricted to KerbalStuff.

I would have thought the curse client would have been done by now though, it`s been a while.

We're obviously running behind schedule. :(

Our original goal was definitely to have it out this year. Now the timeline we're looking at having the new windows client out early next year, and Kerbal will be one of the first games we support on it. These things are notoriously hard to estimate. We'll have to see how things progress in the coming months.

The new windows client is a massive update from what you guys have used in relation to WoW in the past. No ads, no throttled speeds, more features. I'll post some screenshot previews as soon as we have some. :)

• 3 months later...

That is true, and it is admittedly nice to have a third parties personnel here just to keep people informed and to keep things moving nicely. Im sure many people will enjoy the Curse client once it gets up and running.

That is true, and it is admittedly nice to have a third parties personnel here just to keep people informed and to keep things moving nicely. Im sure many people will enjoy the Curse client once it gets up and running.

By moving nicely I assume you mean not moving at all? I've never used the curse client but everything I have read about it is bad. This is going to need to be a big change to have people use it by the sound of it.

Luckily there is already good alternative to use which work nicely with KSP, CKAN. It's ugly but simple and effective.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Err, this is a thing? As in people actually want this? Much confused.

What does it offer that KerbalStuff + CKAN doesn't?

Honestly, I haven't used curse in... well, ever. It's horrible, at least in comparison to KerbalStuff.

Well, ckan sometimes fails to install things correctly, there was an issue yesterday in irc where an addon installed via ckan was causing issues, a member was unable to load their save due to a few parts not being found, plus there have been issues with ckan FAR installs introducing bugs.

So having other options for addon download and install can only be a good thing.

Though we do have TinkerTime, which looks quite nice.

Edited by sal_vager

Hmm, can't say I'm convinced TBH. Better the devil you know and all that, especially since I can see the code. Shall I assume that anything curse produces will likely be closed source?

Also, appreciate the (possibly unintentional) heads up on latest CKAN issues. ;)

I think perhaps it's less that people want it and more that it was promissed on Day 1, back when SpacePort was brutally murdered? While I've found ckan to be very useful for RSS/RO (aside from some horribly failed updates; there's also the mob mentality of ckan that quite frankly turns me off.... but this isn't a ckan rant thread), I'm doubtful CurseClient could replicate that due to so few core mods using Curse. Yet I can still see the benefit of it - it's a huge time saver and really bloody simple. And options and competition are always good. Keeps people from becoming complacent.

Jeeze, spaceport was a wordpress hackjob, literally built on wordpress by amateurs who promised a great site but delivered an unmaintainable mess that happened to have a pretty front page, it was impossible to moderate (I know this as I was one of many trying to moderate it, you literally logged into a wordpress portal) and it desperately needed moderation as it was wide open to abuse which happened daily, and you couldn't even delete old submissions, all changes and additions just made a new entry, they didn't replace an old one, it was micro-blogging software masquerading as an addon sharing site.

Most of the community here and elsewhere was asking for it to be put out of its misery.

But this isn't a spaceport rant thread either.

We have options, options are good and more options are better!

• 4 weeks later...
I'm waiting for a GUI and updating support on CKAN before giving it a go. Looks very promising, though.

wow, this thread is as old and unanswered as my `what is the point of kerbals having stats` thread.

Since your post, CKAN now has a stable GUI and can update mods and has turned into a rather handy mod manager, one with devs that listen to the users through either GitHub or the forum thread. I wouldn`t imagine it does a better or worse job than other mod managers.

Myself, I have given up on Curse. I would think that of they were serious about bringing out this fabled mod manager they could easily have done it by now even with just one person working at it.

If late last year was `behind schedule` and the revised timeline was early this year then those milestones are well gone with nary a word about it since.

It`s almost as though they don`t want to do anything that doesn`t show adverts and will drag their heels about it for as long as they can make people go to an ad supported site...

But that`s surely just me being cynical?

We're obviously running behind schedule. :( ... snip ... I'll post some screenshot previews as soon as we have some. :)

I won`t hold my breath

One last thing I just thought of is, surely a curse client would only have mods that are hosted on curse?

Not all the mods I want are hosted on curse so I would need at least two mod manager clients to manage all my mods...

Would be nice to have some news though for the people that would want a cursed mod manager.

• 1 month later...
for the people that would want a cursed mod manager.

I install my mods manually; I'm just curious what KSP's official mod manager would be. Maybe it'd be useful?

With the lack of activity on this tool, I wonder why Curse continues to be KSP's "official" mod repository? Form the outside looking in, it seems like Curse hasn't fulfilled their end of the bargain?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.