Kerbal spacesuit colors by roles

This would be a small yet neat addition.

With 0.90 and the upcoming kerbal experience and roles (pilot, science, engineer), wouldn't it be absolutely awesome to have parts of their spacesuits colored by role?

- pilot: red

- science: blue

- engineer: yellow

So, ya, basically like Star Trek uniforms :)

Poor redshirts...

I rather would like to be able to choose the spacesuit coloration myself or give me options to customize the spacesuit/Kerbal as I see fit, but then again, having spacesuit colors depending on role would be interesting never the less.

I agree with prophet_01, a partially colored suit would be nice.

And to the colors:

TOs or NG, doesn't matter, these are Kerbals after all, so in the end we might end up with green, black and pink :P

Sooner or later, I'm pretty sure that some mod will cover this, I just wanted to toss the idea into the open.

Red for command, yellow for engineering and blue for science feels the most natural to me. Must be all of that Star Trek: Voyager watching as a kid. The later Apollo suits had the commander given red stripes on the helmet and limbs of his suit, btw:

apolloA7Lbh.JPG

It's a good idea- though once again, fully-colored suits are a little much. Color-coded fringes to the main body of the suit (around the joints and such) would be nice though...

Without some way to easily identify a Kerbal's profession, I can imagine a LOT of grief with having to constantly refer back to the Tracking Station (or worse, Astronaut Complex!) to check what a Kerbal is good for. ESPECIALLY a big issue for when you have a lot of missions going on simultaneously, and you don't have time to play KSP every day or even week...

Regards,

Northstar

Red for command, yellow for engineering and blue for science feels the most natural to me. Must be all of that Star Trek: Voyager watching as a kid. The later Apollo suits had the commander given red stripes on the helmet and limbs of his suit, btw:

http://www.globaleffects.com/B_pages/02_Space/apolloA7Lbh.JPG

That's EXACTLY the kind of color-coding I was thinking. Nothing too tacky- just a couple stripes on the helmet and around the elbows or something...

Regards,

Northstar

It's a good idea- though once again, fully-colored suits are a little much. Color-coded fringes to the main body of the suit (around the joints and such) would be nice though...

KerbalEVA-225x300.jpg

There's already a basis with the standard white suit. There are helmet stripes and suit stripes. This mod shows what the color-coded system would look like when sticking close to the current look:

mmLqVPY.png

Not bad if you ask me. Maybe tone the colors down a bit, but other than that it's a pretty clear system.

No, if we're going by Star Trek color scheme, we gotta use TOS colors. TOS is what gave us dead redshirts.

Yellow: Pilot/Command

Blue: Science/Medical

Red: Engineer/Security

Old school....

Red : Pilot

Blue : Science

Yellow : Engineer

Anything else is blasphemy :D

http://kerbalsp.imdulin.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/KerbalEVA-225x300.jpg

There's already a basis with the standard white suit. There are helmet stripes and suit stripes. This mod shows what the color-coded system would look like when sticking close to the current look:

http://i.imgur.com/mmLqVPY.png

Not bad if you ask me. Maybe tone the colors down a bit, but other than that it's a pretty clear system.

Say, what is the mod called that adds those color stripes to the spacesuits as seen in this post?

HarvesteR, way back when, said that he intended to have different colours on the suits for the Kerbals (the stripe on the arms, legs, and helmet would change), though it would be more NASA-like than star trek. Unfortunately I can't find the post - which may have been pre 4/13 - so I couldn't say for certain what the exact colours he mentioned were or if there were more than 3... or if it had changed, since it was almost 2 years ago.

But, the upside is that Squad has been entertaining the idea for a long while now, so there's a really good chance they will eventually implement it. We just don't know exactly if, how or when is all. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.