Why is the landing gear always activated when you launch?

Farex

Hello Community,

this bugs me since I play this game. When you launch a rocket, the gear indicator below the brake and light indicator is always activated. When I want to use my landing gear, I have to press G to "deactivate" it, then press G again to actually deploy my landing gear.

Is there a reason for this madness?

Greetings!

Known bug/feature thing. The gear light always "starts" on, but the parts don't actually respond to that. I'd bet you it's because SQUAD wanted the parts to be on by default for user-friendliness, but for some reason it didn't work.

Temporary solution: rightclick the landing gears in the vehicle assembly building, and extend then from there. Thus, the vehicle will always be launched with the landing gears out. Since we don't have "real" aerodynamics yet, they won't snap off during flight through the atmosphere (They might, if you use FAR.)

Hope this helps!

Working as intended AFAIK.

It is because of the small gear bays. those start deployed by default, while the Landing struts do not. but both are controlled by the same control, so the first press will retract small gear bays but not deploy the struts.

Aircraft.

This came into my mind just as I was clicking on "Post it". :P

Yeah, the aircraft landing gear starts always deployed ( for a reason!). Maybe one day Squad can make the game distinguish between rocket landing legs and aircraft landing legs.

It's not a game breaker, but it's annoying when you try to land per IVA and forget you have to push G twice. Don't trust those indicators in the cockpit :(

The how do you determine what to do in a situation where you're launching a lander (with lander legs) from a plane (with landing gear)?

If it is wheeled assume it is plane, if legs then assume it is lander. In a case where there are both, then assume it is a plane. I have never seen a lander with wheels (awaiting screen shots)

This has also bugged me but not enough to really say anything, but since it's already out there.

Weather is on or off doesn't bother me if it's intended. But it's only pseudo-on forrocketsthatbidsme, because rocket Landing legs are not deployed by default, even though the button is lit .

So if you want your gear to actually deploy you have to click the landing gear button twice. Once to turn off, which does not toggle landing legs, and then a second time to actually deploy then.

If the button is "on"by default then landing legs should be "deployed" by default

Edited by aleis

Pretty simple solution for this problem - if no gear are deployed, the light shouldn't be lit. If at least one pair (no matter the type) is deployed, light it. Should cover most, if not all cases, including fringe cases. Launch a rocket + lander with gears retracted = light off. Same, but gears deployed = light on. Launch plane = light on. Launch plane that has a standard lander in cargo bay (somehow) = light on. Launch rocket + wheeled lander = depends if gear are retracted in editor or not. Launch plane with retracted gear + standard lander with extended gear = ok, this time it's wrong, but you wouldn't be going anywhere anyway.

It should be assumed that any deployed gear are, for want of a better word, dominant and in use, therefore the light should reflect their state.

Please restate the answer in the form of code. :wink:

I've just gotten used to this "feature". I'm sure this was just the easiest way to get everything to play nice with each other. We can just hope one day that they come up with something better, otherwise I've just learned to live with it.

Please restate the answer in the form of code. :wink:

I've just gotten used to this "feature". I'm sure this was just the easiest way to get everything to play nice with each other. We can just hope one day that they come up with something better, otherwise I've just learned to live with it.

Landinggear.state.default=deployed

While landinggear.state(any)=deployed

(landinggearlight.state=on

else

landinggearlight.state=off)

Edited by aleis

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.