Crowd Sourced Science-Biome Reports Everywhere! (August 11) [6.0]

DuoDex

What do you want next?  

746 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want next?

• Expand, with an eye towards support for other science mods.
    • Make contributing easier!
    • Add support for the planet pack mods.

19 hours ago, nwillard said:

I see a DLL, so... this one might be kaput for now in 1.8 :(

The feature that removes the repeated reports would be gone, but I think you can still install all the config files to get community written reports.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to most of this but I took a look in his source code and did a little bit of testing, and it looks like all that the .dll file does is add asterisks to the end of the report names so that the game actually randomly picks one instead of always taking the first one. I tested it by going into the .cfg and adding asterisks onto the end of all of one type of report (crew report from the launchpad) and removed the plugin, and it correctly randomly chose a report, otherwise you always get the same one. I'm going to work on writing a quick program that will go through and add asterisks to all the lines across all the .cfg files and I'd be happy to share. (Btw this would make it 100% compatible with any KSP version as long as the biome location names don't change)

Edit: Looks like my janky MATLAB script worked :D Just tested a few different scenarios and all of them were giving different custom science messages, with no need for the plugin or anything but ModuleManager! Seeing as how giving you all this change would basically mean uploading the entire mod minus a few parts, I'm not 100% sure if I'm allowed to post it, but here's the fixed mod, plug and play!

Edited by Jedilucas

8 hours ago, Jedilucas said:

I'm new to most of this but I took a look in his source code and did a little bit of testing, and it looks like all that the .dll file does is add asterisks to the end of the report names so that the game actually randomly picks one instead of always taking the first one. I tested it by going into the .cfg and adding asterisks onto the end of all of one type of report (crew report from the launchpad) and removed the plugin, and it correctly randomly chose a report, otherwise you always get the same one. I'm going to work on writing a quick program that will go through and add asterisks to all the lines across all the .cfg files and I'd be happy to share. (Btw this would make it 100% compatible with any KSP version as long as the biome location names don't change)

Edit: Looks like my janky MATLAB script worked :D Just tested a few different scenarios and all of them were giving different custom science messages, with no need for the plugin or anything but ModuleManager! Seeing as how giving you all this change would basically mean uploading the entire mod minus a few parts, I'm not 100% sure if I'm allowed to post it, but here's the fixed mod, plug and play!

I presume you are using Linux or some other UNIX-like system, because the config structure is now a wall of horror

UbApVdN.png

3 hours ago, voicey99 said:

I presume you are using Linux or some other UNIX-like system, because the config structure is now a wall of horror

Nah, Windows 10 here, and everything's formatted correctly for me, in Notepad, Notepad++, Atom, and MATLAB. I've seen this happen before though with other mods when you download them, try using different editors, sometimes I've had to use Atom because downloaded text files sometimes don't format correctly (maybe something to do with compressing it to a zip?). Should still work though, it's just not displaying correctly in your text editor.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
1 hour ago, voicey99 said:

Not a peep, and they haven't been seen for a year. Looks like they might have flaked to me.

Heh... if so, thats sad, since DuoDex is still listed as an active forum moderator. :O
Cretainly doesnt seem to be very much serious activity from them on the forums in almost *two* years

but if you also look again, they seemed to have last logged into the forums less than two days ago.

Edited by Stone Blue

On 7/5/2020 at 5:04 PM, Stone Blue said:

Heh... if so, thats sad, since DuoDex is still listed as an active forum moderator. :O
Cretainly doesnt seem to be very much serious activity from them on the forums in almost *two* years

but if you also look again, they seemed to have last logged into the forums less than two days ago.

Snake that is, dunno about DD. Looks like Olympic1 has been really managing the mod for quite a while and I suppose if it still works fine and nobody has submitted anything then no updates would have been needed. Still, a large amount of content I made for it shortly after its last update a year ago is still pending release.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I just released a new version for Crowd Sourced Science. This includes a fix provided by @Jedilucas which removes the plugin and keeps the randomization of science reports.
Without the plugin, CSS doesn't need to rely on a specific version of KSP anymore.

You can download Crowd Sourced Science v6.0 via GitHub

Changelog:

Implemented a new way of randomizing the science reports thanks to Jedilucas. With this new method Crowd Sourced Science doesn't need to rely on a plugin anymore.

• Added new reports for several bodies (thanks @ryaninator81)
  • Added new reports for Eve (thanks @voicey99)
  • Fixed Duna, Ike, and Kerbin reports (thanks @voicey99)
  • Added templates for the Breaking Ground experiments
  • Added templates for comets that where introduced in KSP 1.10

8 minutes ago, Olympic1 said:

Hello everyone,

I just released a new version for Crowd Sourced Science. This includes a fix provided by @Jedilucas which removes the plugin and keeps the randomization of science reports.
Without the plugin, CSS doesn't need to rely on a specific version of KSP anymore.

Changelog:

Implemented a new way of randomizing the science reports thanks to Jedilucas. With this new method Crowd Sourced Science doesn't need to rely on a plugin anymore.

Does this work in 1.8.1?

17 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Would you like some help in building/releasing an updated version, both for current and future versions?  I could easily add this to my build process/jenkins server

Thank you so much. I've a job which limits my internet time, so I've pretty much ended up letting this dog lie. Please feel free to set up a new post, or PM me any time - I get emails for PMs, so it's easy for me to know when to check.

1 hour ago, Olympic1 said:

Hello everyone,

Changelog:

Great, thanks! Glad to see it.

1 hour ago, Olympic1 said:

It works from 1.8.x to 1.10.x but I only tested it on the launchpad

@DuoDex can you update the OP?

Will do. Please feel free to send me a PM any time an update to the OP is needed!

3 hours ago, DuoDex said:

Thank you so much. I've a job which limits my internet time, so I've pretty much ended up letting this dog lie. Please feel free to set up a new post, or PM me any time - I get emails for PMs, so it's easy for me to know when to check

No need, seems that @Olympic1 is on the case

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 1 year later...
8 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

That's the way the game works

Oh, ok.  I guess i never gave much attention on this detail before. Let's hypothesize that the report is in fact a really lengthy one, and each time we review it, we only read a random part of it :)

Edited by JeanRenaud

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello everyone,

It's been 3.5 years, but real life was very busy for me. I still occasionally visited the forums, but recently I really got back into KSP and KSP2.
And since the mod consists only of ModuleManager patches, thanks again @Jedilucas, there were no breaking changes while new KSP releases were being released.
So I saw no urgent reasons to release a new update with every KSP release.

But enough about myself.

Hereby I would like to announce that I have released a new version for CrowdSourcedScience.
This adds another handful of new science reports thanks to this wonderful community that continues to push forward while the modders stop maintaining the mod.

You can download Crowd Sourced Science v6.1 via GitHub

Changelog:

• Added new reports for several bodies (thanks @thompson8964 and @astrolamb-gaming)
  • Uncommented some reports that snuck through reviews