Crowd Sourced Science-Biome Reports Everywhere! (August 11) [6.0]

DuoDex

What do you want next?  

746 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want next?

• Expand, with an eye towards support for other science mods.
    • Make contributing easier!
    • Add support for the planet pack mods.

You're lying to me, Duo :P The latest version on Github, as of 22.49 GMT, is 1.5.0. EDIT: 22.55, and it's 2.0 time! Woo!

Also, the CKAN link next to that goes to the MM thread, not the CKAN one.

Will fix tomorrow :P

Sorry.

I just released v2.0 on GitHub. Sorry for the delay.

I'll fix CKAN now

I'll fix CKAN now

I'm afraid you misunderstand:

Also available via the [UR[b][/b]L="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55219-Module-Manager-1-5-6-%28Jan-6%29"]CKAN[/URL]

The link is supposed to go to CKAN, but it goes to Module Manager instead. Either DuoDex or another mod will have to fix that in the OP.

I'm afraid you misunderstand:

Also available via the [UR[b][/b]L="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55219-Module-Manager-1-5-6-%28Jan-6%29"]CKAN[/URL]

The link is supposed to go to CKAN, but it goes to Module Manager instead. Either DuoDex or another mod will have to fix that in the OP.

Ok, now I get it

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I've made a simple science mod (Stock Science Tweaks) that basically extends the stock system (allows the barometer to work with the InSpaceLow situation to get science for verifying the lack of an atmosphere, and added a basic telemetry experiment to probe cores as an analog to crew reports) and I'm short on science reports for these new experiments. I actually found a few unused reports written by Squad for the barometer on airless bodies, that's basically what I've been using, but the variety is lacking and many situations only have one report (the telemetry experiment only has a default placeholder at the moment).

I figured that since this mod is dedicated to crowd sourced science reports, this would be the place to ask for any volunteers who would be willing to help write some additional reports for my mod. A link to the mod is in my signature, right now it's a big code block so you can easily see the current reports without having to download anything.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Edited by Lord Aurelius

Hi Everyone,

I've made a simple science mod (Stock Science Tweaks) that basically extends the stock system (allows the barometer to work with the InSpaceLow situation to get science for verifying the lack of an atmosphere, and added a basic telemetry experiment to probe cores as an analog to crew reports) and I'm short on science reports for these new experiments. I actually found a few unused reports written by Squad for the barometer on airless bodies, that's basically what I've been using, but the variety is lacking and many situations only have one report (the telemetry experiment only has a default placeholder at the moment).

I figured that since this mod is dedicated to crowd sourced science reports, this would be the place to ask for any volunteers who would be willing to help write some additional reports for my mod. A link to the mod is in my signature, right now it's a big code block so you can easily see the current reports without having to download anything.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

More than happy to help, but I hope you'll pardon me if I say that it will be probably included in CSS, as I am both unsure as how your mod has these things structured.

I also like myself some juicy rep.

@DuoDex

Thanks for the offer, I don't mind if it's included in CSS, I primarily developed my tweaks to be integrated into the SETI mod which recommends CSS already.

My mod is simply a few config files, I tried to follow the format of the stock experiments as closely as possible (and actually used the CSS configs as a template) so your current system should work just fine for adding more reports.

One thing I've noticed is that there's several mods that implement a probe report experiment (as an analog to the crew report), it would be nice to standardize it as a common experiment type if that's within the scope of this mod.

@DuoDex

Thanks for the offer, I don't mind if it's included in CSS, I primarily developed my tweaks to be integrated into the SETI mod which recommends CSS already.

My mod is simply a few config files, I tried to follow the format of the stock experiments as closely as possible (and actually used the CSS configs as a template) so your current system should work just fine for adding more reports.

One thing I've noticed is that there's several mods that implement a probe report experiment (as an analog to the crew report), it would be nice to standardize it as a common experiment type if that's within the scope of this mod.

I've put a, like, framework reference, thing in place.

Feel free to edit it, I'm going to be editing and updating over the next few days.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anything changed in the science reports regarding 1.0? I think the nose cone got changed. Are reports associated with it gone now?

CSS, like many mods, relies on sarbian's module manager. He is currently working feverishly at an update for 1.0 (thanks sarbian!), and once it is complete DuoDex/Olympic1/harryyoung/myself can evaluate what changes need to be made to CSS (including atmosphereAnalysis repurposing). Also, once CSS is up and running we'll need to update it on CKAN for the new 1.0 version.

So....hold tight for an updated release....unless of course you'd like to do the updating yourself; it is CROWD SOURCED Science, after all ;)

Edit: Looks like the old atmospheric nosecone is the new Atmospheric Fluid Spectro-Variometer, so all those reports should work fine since the under-the-hood experimentID is unchanged. Also looked at the cfg's for the new resource scanners, and they don't generate science, so it looks like all should 'just work' for 1.0.

Edited by madsailor
Update

Just dropping by to say thanks for all your work. I cannot wait to get started on a new career once my favourite mods are all updated. This being one of them. 😊

- - - Updated - - -

Just dropping by to say thanks for all your work. I cannot wait to get started on a new career once my favourite mods are all updated. This being one of them. 😊

CSS, like many mods, relies on sarbian's module manager. He is currently working feverishly at an update for 1.0 (thanks sarbian!), and once it is complete DuoDex/Olympic1/harryyoung/myself can evaluate what changes need to be made to CSS (including atmosphereAnalysis repurposing). Also, once CSS is up and running we'll need to update it on CKAN for the new 1.0 version.

So....hold tight for an updated release....unless of course you'd like to do the updating yourself; it is CROWD SOURCED Science, after all ;)

Edit: Looks like the old atmospheric nosecone is the new Atmospheric Fluid Spectro-Variometer, so all those reports should work fine since the under-the-hood experimentID is unchanged. Also looked at the cfg's for the new resource scanners, and they don't generate science, so it looks like all should 'just work' for 1.0.

All my this...which reminds me, the OP needs to be updated with olympic1, harryyoung, and you featured in it.

Awesome! I'll install it, then. This awesome modification makes the game better by so far! :D

Sorry for the ignorant question, but it only adds flavor text to the experiments and not adding anything else, right ? If that is what this mod does - I want it, because I decided I will tap into lore with my 1.0 Career and this one will add a lot !

Sorry for the ignorant question, but it only adds flavor text to the experiments and not adding anything else, right ? If that is what this mod does - I want it, because I decided I will tap into lore with my 1.0 Career and this one will add a lot !

I'll update the mod for KSP 1.0 because their were some changes in some experiments.

I love the variety, depth, and humour in the current list of science reports. But I just opened my second pull request for Crowd Sourced Science that was nothing but spelling corrections.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty OK with having my name in the contributors list for doing nothing other than firing up a spell checker. :) But could I request that, before submitting a new report, you run a spell check over it. It doesn't take long, but lightens the load on the mod maintainers and makes for much more professional looking reports for all.

Thanks!