Crowd Sourced Science-Biome Reports Everywhere! (August 11) [6.0]

DuoDex

What do you want next?  

746 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want next?

• Expand, with an eye towards support for other science mods.
    • Make contributing easier!
    • Add support for the planet pack mods.

I end up with this exception, which is the same thing that always happens when you try to add to EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION nodes with the same experiment ids.

ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,ScienceExperiment].Add (System.String key, .ScienceExperiment value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ResearchAndDevelopment.loadExperiments () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ResearchAndDevelopment.GetExperiment (System.String experimentID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ModuleScienceExperiment.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Part+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

So I'm surprised that experiments work at all, given that this has always pretty much broken things in the past.

I see that version 1.2 uses the MM approach, but I think you need to follow the example that Gribbleshnibit8 posted; setting MM configs for each experiment individually, not just grouping everything together. I'm actually not really sure what the version 1.2 file does. Is it just dumping this set of results every time it sees an EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION node?

This is exactly what I do when I add results to the stock experiments and I have never had issues with it breaking things or with overwriting the existing results.

Thanks for the tip-likely to be updated tomorrow. Do you have any idea where the stock results are kept for the 0.90 biomes?

Thanks for the tip-likely to be updated tomorrow. Do you have any idea where the stock results are kept for the 0.90 biomes?

Are there any results for the new biomes? I didn't see anything in the standard ScienceDefs.cfg file, and I'm not sure why they would go to the trouble of storing them somewhere else.

Are there any results for the new biomes? I didn't see anything in the standard ScienceDefs.cfg file, and I'm not sure why they would go to the trouble of storing them somewhere else.

I was asking you. So there aren't any, that means I get to go through and see if I can make some.

I'll take the time and thank everyone responsible for this mod to exist! Thank you, you rock! :)

Update 1.3.0 is out. All it does is fix support for other mods. I haven't had the time to test it, but please let me know if something isn't working properly.
12/18/14: v1.3.0 fixed compatibility with other mods.

Does that mean I don't need to delete the Squad\Resources\ScienceDefs.cfg file anymore (a.k.a. can I put it back in there)? Again, your effort is much appreciated! Thank you.

Edited by Kowgan

We used to do this in 1.2.0, but that broke compatibility with other mods.

Non, you did not do this in 1.2. You just selected the top node and dumped a new node inside it. That's what you broke other mod.

What you need to do is a MM config that just add you new lines in each experiments.

Non, you did not do this in 1.2. You just selected the top node and dumped a new node inside it. That's what you broke other mod.

What you need to do is a MM config that just add you new lines in each experiments.

Yes. DMagic has been helping me to figure this out. I'm currently working on it.

Downloaded and fired up a quick sandbox, all four modules have their science prompts on a right click :)

Do you mean with Sounding Rockets? Because on a new career save I can't get science on a right click. At least on tier 1 (the one needing it the most)...

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't notice that was a new (1.4) version. I'll test it again...

Do you mean with Sounding Rockets? Because on a new career save I can't get science on a right click. At least on tier 1 (the one needing it the most)...

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't notice that was a new (1.4) version. I'll test it again...

Yeah, sorry. 1.4 is a pre-release as it might break some stuff and I didn't want to break things.

I do like this mod, used it a ton in other plays. I'm standing by for now to have verified that there are no bugs and then I'll add it

I would also like to contribute, however one of the issues I always had was the shere list of entries one should consider when adding new ones (so Eve's Oceans are not considered Mercury on one experiment and purplified water on another) Having it all in one list sure has it's advantages, however I wonder:

1: Could you set up the repo so that there is a 2 subfolder levels: level one for each planet and a default folder and level two for the biomes. Inside that would be cfg's per Experiment, these including all situations.

2: Could you set up the cfg's so that MM first clears the experiment's results and then goes trough all the cfg's just to add the new ones? (Fix Bugs first)

3: Failing 2 for whatever reason could you create an external script that would go trough all the individual cfg's and compile a master cfg for use in the game?

I do like this mod, used it a ton in other plays. I'm standing by for now to have verified that there are no bugs and then I'll add it

I would also like to contribute, however one of the issues I always had was the shere list of entries one should consider when adding new ones (so Eve's Oceans are not considered Mercury on one experiment and purplified water on another) Having it all in one list sure has it's advantages, however I wonder:

1: Could you set up the repo so that there is a 2 subfolder levels: level one for each planet and a default folder and level two for the biomes. Inside that would be cfg's per Experiment, these including all situations.

2: Could you set up the cfg's so that MM first clears the experiment's results and then goes trough all the cfg's just to add the new ones? (Fix Bugs first)

3: Failing 2 for whatever reason could you create an external script that would go trough all the individual cfg's and compile a master cfg for use in the game?

1. Yes, I could do this, but it'd take a long time and with the holidays coming up that's time I don't have. It's a good idea, but I just can't do it right now. You're welcome to fork and pull though.

2. Uh...no. This would break a lot of other mods.

3. Currently we have a master .cfg file. Because I can't do #1 at the moment, there's no need for this.

Somehow it is changing the science centers requirements for taking surface samples. With this mod in career mode I can take surface samples with an level 2 astronaut complex and level 1 science center. Normally it takes both being level 2.

Somehow it is changing the science centers requirements for taking surface samples. With this mod in career mode I can take surface samples with an level 2 astronaut complex and level 1 science center. Normally it takes both being level 2.

It can be that requiredExperimentLevel = 0.5 was deleted in the ScienceDefs.cfg.

Just add that code to the Surface Sample, it will then only be available when your R&D is level 2.

It should look like this:

EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION
{
id = surfaceSample
title = Surface Sample
baseValue = 30
scienceCap = 40
dataScale = 1

requireAtmosphere = False
situationMask = 3
biomeMask = 3
[B]requiredExperimentLevel = 0.5[/B]

RESULTS
{
-snip-
}
}

EDIT: I didn't find what is causing it to remove itself.

Edited by Olympic1

1. Yes, I could do this, but it'd take a long time and with the holidays coming up that's time I don't have. It's a good idea, but I just can't do it right now. You're welcome to fork and pull though.

For those that may not follow the Repo: I've gone ahead and, at this point, sorted all but the Kerbin System by Experiment (and where applyable by biome, some CB entries have direct successors)

I intend to finish this up within the Year Including setteling on a final layout (1440 files is quite a lot)

I have one Question tho: As for the structure if the Files themselvse they at this point still contain the MM Instructions. I think they should be removed, however I wonder what - if any - they should be replaced by.